Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       03-06-2015, 10:24 PM Reply   
So we all know that "back in the day", PPI amps had a good name.

But there's a lot of brands that were solid players in the 80's and 90's that went bust and their quality is gone and their name is pasted on cheap Chinese Junk that's not worth the shipping you'd pay for it.

It's hard to tell what's a survivor, what's a "comeback story" and what's just re-branded garbage that's playing on our nostalgia.

So, is Precision power decent midlevel stuff? (like kicker or comparable?)
http://precisionpower.com/store/prod...wer-class.html

Or is it garbage like Boss, and the like? I mean we all know that Pyle is a Pyle of S***. LOL!

So, what about some names that have popped back on the scene? I'm very skeptical of the current Soundstream and not sure what to think of PPI.

Or maybe a better question is what brands are out there that offer a crazy value for the money and you're not just paying to have the bragging rights brand name...
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-07-2015, 4:32 AM Reply   
If you do a little research on most the cheaper amps, you will find that they are all distributed by a single parent company. With that being said..I wouldn't label them as "junk". A lot of people, myself included, run the PPI Phantom 900.4 for a pair of Rev 10s. I consider the amps more along the lines of buying a high point pistol. They are cheap and will get the job done.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-07-2015, 5:26 AM Reply   
I have 3 ppi amps and they are loud, clear and do the job. I'd be very interested to compare a similar system with better amps though, may make me tear them out and upgrade them
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-07-2015, 6:02 AM Reply   
Just to get into PPI for an example.
Originally Precision Power was driven by Jeff Scoon, owner, and Bruce McMillian, chief electronics engineer. PPI was sold to an umbrella company that was basically an auto alarm company. The brand has likely changed hands again since then.
Anytime the core engineering talent is gone there is no longer any connection to those early products and what is inside.
Suddenly you would find multiple brand names with different heatsinks and different logos that contained the identical electronics inside, with PPI being one of those brands. China is going to immediately strip down those expensive topologies and parts to make a more profitable and more marketable (less expensive) product for the masses.
Scoon and McMillian then started Xtant. It was purchased by MTX. It soon faded away.
Scoon and McMillian, with a few other industry engineering veterans, went on to JL Audio and developed the Slash amplifiers. And, have continued to push the engineering envelope with leading edge and proprietary designs, especially in Class D.
If you want the original PPI strictly regulated amplifiers with a number of improvements, then buy a JL Audio.
Once those USA brands changed hands the domestic engineering talent went elsewhere and any evolution of the product also went elsewhere.
Once China gets their hands on a brand it is about driving sales any way they can. They can still be quality but esoteric will not get in the way of profits. The old culture is gone.
It is going to be the same with Soundstream or Phoenix Gold or Precision Power or Xtant or Orion or MB Quart, and the list goes on. Not only is all the domestic engineering gone but the domestic set of priorities are gone. In reality, sometimes those higher standards and poor manufacturing efficiencies got in the way of making a profit and so many of the companies failed as a domestic model.
As mentioned above, some of these products are decent. Some, like Boss and Pyle are pure junk. None share anything with their origins other than perhaps a chassis and a logo.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-07-2015, 7:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAnalog View Post
Just to get into PPI for an example.
Originally Precision Power was driven by Jeff Scoon, owner, and Bruce McMillian, chief electronics engineer. PPI was sold to an umbrella company that was basically an auto alarm company. The brand has likely changed hands again since then.
Anytime the core engineering talent is gone there is no longer any connection to those early products and what is inside.
Suddenly you would find multiple brand names with different heatsinks and different logos that contained the identical electronics inside, with PPI being one of those brands. China is going to immediately strip down those expensive topologies and parts to make a more profitable and more marketable (less expensive) product for the masses.
Scoon and McMillian then started Xtant. It was purchased by MTX. It soon faded away.
Scoon and McMillian, with a few other industry engineering veterans, went on to JL Audio and developed the Slash amplifiers. And, have continued to push the engineering envelope with leading edge and proprietary designs, especially in Class D.
If you want the original PPI strictly regulated amplifiers with a number of improvements, then buy a JL Audio.
Once those USA brands changed hands the domestic engineering talent went elsewhere and any evolution of the product also went elsewhere.
Once China gets their hands on a brand it is about driving sales any way they can. They can still be quality but esoteric will not get in the way of profits. The old culture is gone.
It is going to be the same with Soundstream or Phoenix Gold or Precision Power or Xtant or Orion or MB Quart, and the list goes on. Not only is all the domestic engineering gone but the domestic set of priorities are gone. In reality, sometimes those higher standards and poor manufacturing efficiencies got in the way of making a profit and so many of the companies failed as a domestic model.
As mentioned above, some of these products are decent. Some, like Boss and Pyle are pure junk. None share anything with their origins other than perhaps a chassis and a logo.
I wouldn't use the word "junk". I would more compare it to buying clothes at Wal-Mart vs a specific name band mall store or even better. They serve a function, just not very well.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-07-2015, 7:58 AM Reply   
Comparing BOSS and Pyle to wally world cloths is an insult to the people of wal-mart everywhere!

Seriously though, those brands at the extreme bottom of price-point. Wal-mart at least has Wrangler and Carhartt ............
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-07-2015, 8:27 AM Reply   
Tim,
Well I think of Boss and Pyle as 'junk' simply for the reason that these are two of the very worst offenders when it comes to publishing false specifications and misleading consumers. Not by just a small margin to gain a perceived advantage over direct competitor X, Y or Z, but oftentimes a ridiculous margin.
Some poor guy thinks he is getting BIG power and he opens up the amplifier to find that only a fraction of the big chassis interior is occupied by electronics. Or he finds that there isn't a switching power supply at all and that inside that surfboard is nothing more than a BTL amplifier and he already had that much power from his HU. Or it's not a Class AB but rather a cheap Class B with zero bias applied.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-07-2015, 8:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Tim,
Well I think of Boss and Pyle as 'junk' simply for the reason that these are two of the very worst offenders when it comes to publishing false specifications and misleading consumers. Not by just a small margin to gain a perceived advantage over direct competitor X, Y or Z, but oftentimes a ridiculous margin.
Some poor guy thinks he is getting BIG power and he opens up the amplifier to find that only a fraction of the big chassis interior is occupied by electronics. Or he finds that there isn't a switching power supply at all and that inside that surfboard is nothing more than a BTL amplifier and he already had that much power from his HU. Or it's not a Class AB but rather a cheap Class B with zero bias applied.
I agree. Which is why I referenced walmart quality. Lowest bidder and made to break equipment.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       03-07-2015, 2:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Hence the purpose of this thread. Which ones ARE decent?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-07-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
My current A24 has all Wet Sounds equipment (amps and speakers) and feel they are a reputable brand with some product innovation and sound technology. My 2 boats before this boat I was JL Audio except tower speakers. JL is the leader in audio with engineers, technology, and facilities for their product development. IMO you can't get a warmer sounding interior speaker and SQ sub than JL. However, a lot of people just go for louder is better or the harder the sub hits the better (hard to beat a properly powered JL W7 sub by the way) and actual SQ goes by the wayside.

Last edited by you_da_man; 03-07-2015 at 3:01 PM.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       03-07-2015, 3:13 PM Reply   
my.02.

nothing wrong with most of the offshore stuff as they can build a product that's decent(notice I said decent) for not alot of scratch. remember back to the 80's and you either had a ton of cash for orion/ppi/fosgate/ads/nakamichi but it did cost a ton. low end stuff was all crap. really didn't seem to be a true middle ground. now we have cheap cheap(boss), we have midline(ppi/soundstream) thanks to offshore engineering(theft of technology) and we have high end(protected patents and technology but you pay for it).

I think the better question is how was it installed and, more importantly, tuned. I'd almost bet a steak dinner that someone could slap a wetsounds setup in, home tune it, slap a ppi setup in, professionally tune it and the ppi setup would outperform and fool the experts.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       03-07-2015, 3:29 PM Reply   
and fwiw, had 3 RF power series amps powering the last boat. the stuff was 4 years old when I sold the boat, performed just as good as the day I bought the gear(or so my shot hearing thought) and they are all made offshore. have been for years..
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-07-2015, 4:10 PM Reply   
i like my steak medium

I would put the likes of PPi and Soundstream in the upper price point but not quite midline. If picking parts from an audio buffet line gets you to midline, then theres a couple that are perceived way above what they should be.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-07-2015, 5:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Hence the purpose of this thread. Which ones ARE decent?
In todays PPI amplifiers, especially pertaining to boats, many are using the Phantom Class D. You can't argue with the power per street price. So I would say they are just decent along with countless others using the same or similar chip sets or platforms. Not junk. Decent. As opposed to a few years back, better Class D technology has now become available to everyone.
In Class D I like the JL Audio XD line as there is real value. Not as complex as the JL Audio HD line but less expensive. The input sections are sophisticated. The Class D analog switching speeds are higher. With JL's Single-Cycle-Control they are as warm as a good Class AB. Beyond just the 1Khz, 14.4V, CEA2006 ratings the power bandwidth is more stable. JL Audio has a bit of regulation even in the XDs.
In an esoteric Class AB I think Audison and JL Audio Slash stand out.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-07-2015, 8:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandm01 View Post
my.02.

nothing wrong with most of the offshore stuff as they can build a product that's decent(notice I said decent) for not alot of scratch. remember back to the 80's and you either had a ton of cash for orion/ppi/fosgate/ads/nakamichi but it did cost a ton. low end stuff was all crap. really didn't seem to be a true middle ground. now we have cheap cheap(boss), we have midline(ppi/soundstream) thanks to offshore engineering(theft of technology) and we have high end(protected patents and technology but you pay for it).

I think the better question is how was it installed and, more importantly, tuned. I'd almost bet a steak dinner that someone could slap a wetsounds setup in, home tune it, slap a ppi setup in, professionally tune it and the ppi setup would outperform and fool the experts.
MB has been pretty good at getting wetsounds equipment to sound like arse.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-08-2015, 5:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
MB has been pretty good at getting wetsounds equipment to sound like arse.

Isn't it kind of laughable to run wetsounds speakers on these amps though? I mean, maybe if you budget shopped for a used setup or something. But if you can afford wetsounds, then you can probably afford JL, Arc, wetsounds amps.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-08-2015, 8:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Isn't it kind of laughable to run wetsounds speakers on these amps though? I mean, maybe if you budget shopped for a used setup or something. But if you can afford wetsounds, then you can probably afford JL, Arc, wetsounds amps.
totally! I guess I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used top tier amp vs a brand new mid-tier amp. KS300.4's come up all the time in the $250 range (or even new/refurb for under $350), and while less frequent, it's not impossible to get a JL HD 750/1 under $300.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-08-2015, 9:12 AM Reply   
I love this discussion. Keep it going. If I had the free coin I would by the top end stuff in a heart beat. So far the lower end stuff has treated me well. My ears aren't good enough to appreciate the high end stuff...which sucks.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-08-2015, 2:16 PM Reply   
Yeah I'm rocking a 600.2 ppi with bullet lines 6.5 hlcds. Nothing special but they get the job done. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to a nicer set.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-08-2015, 3:27 PM Reply   
I have had great success and know of a ton of people with the PPI , Soundstream, Polk clones that would say the same. I had Rev 10's on my last boat powered by a Syn 4 and 4 Wetsounds XS650's and. 12inch Polk Sub off a second Syn 4. Never had one issue. As too be expected.

I also ran a set of Pro 80's before those on a kicker ZX amp until I upped to the Syn 2. Quite honestly I couldn't tell any audible difference at all. I am not a professional audio guy tho.
My brother runs his Rev 10's off the PPI 900.4 again we coudn't tell the difference between my Syn 4 and the PPI. My current boat I opted to save a bit on the amps and am running the Soundstream TN digital series as a few of my buddies in the audio world said you can't beat that clone line for the $$$. All 4 of them say to steer clear of MB Quart amps. They have not been bery reliable and consistent at all on their power.

I think there is one part that's been neglected here to say whether upping to the top of the line amps is worth their $$$. For me, I don't hammer on our gear any longer. We are not in a party cove enviornment blasting tunes for hours on end pushing our gear to the limits. The midrange Soundstream amps in my current boat have never clipped or overheated for my regular use. However I did have one day at the Sandbar on a 95 degree day where I was hammering away in the stereo at almost maxed out levels for about 2 hrs. The amps overheated and needed to cool down. I knew that going in this would probably happen. There is no built in cooling fans and not near the cooling technology found in my old Syn amps in these. I just wanted to see what they could handle. We listen to tunes while we ride and while we are swimming. We aren't maxed out for hours on end so the amps are barely working. In this scenario the Soundstreams have never had one issue. My brothers PPI has never overheated on his Rev 10's in 2 yrs ,again though not hammering on it. So I think saying just because you have Westounds/JL's doesn't meen you can't get great sound of of their speakers and are throwing away your money with mid range amps isn't exactly true.However if you are going to hammer on your stereo for long periods of time you definitely need to up to the big boys in order to achieve their top potential
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-09-2015, 7:58 AM Reply   
Nobody but audiophiles know my PPI's are cheap. Everyone just thinks I have a top of the line banging system. I do want to add a Boss amp though, saw one with 10,000 amps at 8 ohms, my sub could use a boost.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-09-2015, 8:25 AM Reply   
I have Two PPI 900.4 and have never had a problem in two years with them. When I first got the PPI's I spent all my money on just being able to afford a pair of REV 10's. So I didn't have the money in the budget to buy a syn 4 like I wanted. So I got one PPI for like 189.00 for the REV's and I was so happy with it I bought another one for the interior speakers a few months later. When I first put the system in I said if the PPI go out it's only 189 buck and I'll try and buy a used syn 4 next time. But after two years of abuse I'll save my money and just throw another PPI in there.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-09-2015, 9:44 AM Reply   
I run my 4 Rev10's from an SD2, and I feel they are lacking juice. Wish I would have picked up 2 decent amps vs the 1 sd2
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-09-2015, 1:05 PM Reply   
J,

I have fallowed just about every one of your stereo threads and posts, here and on CCC. I have yet to see one that you seem to be any more than mediocre satisfied. If you are not down right blown away with 2 pair of Rev-10 on an SD-2, there is a setup and tuning issue.

With the size of your investment, you should really seek the help of someone with Wet Sounds knowledge and experience. If you dont have that local, then atleast contact Wet Sounds directly and have them help you get that system tuned properly.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-09-2015, 4:29 PM Reply   
Jmorlan never seems to have enough. . So either he out out to accomplish a permanent hearing impairment or there is a tuning issue going on. I can't even begin to imagine how ridiculous that thing sounds. Must be a night club on that boat.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-09-2015, 8:42 PM Reply   
i laugh at some of the systems on here. do you need everyone at the other end of the lake to hear you, or is it a case of my systems bigger than yours.....

Getting back on point, i have just replaced one of my Rockford Power amps, built in 1999, i still have one running the sub in the boat and those things are superb. The other two have only just given up the ghost.

My gear is exile as i enjoy a bit of good customer service. Brian sent me a basic part down to New Zealand at no cost, so i know if something goes wrong, ill be looked after. Peace of mind is often pretty good.

At the end of the day the majority of listening to your stereo is done with the boat going, there is teh engine noise, wind etc. The difference between a 2000 dollar JL amp and say a Polk amp i doubt 99% of people would notice. That said if you want to be the guy with the 6k setup who makes a huge noise and ruins everyone elses day sucks for you....
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-11-2015, 1:36 PM Reply   
JL Slash lineup is amazing. I love those amps. Throw whatever you want on them, any impedance that it will handle, same power output. You pay for it, but they rock.
I used to rock PG stuff, and still will if I find any of the older stuff. I used to compete with the Octane R lineup which was solid and served me well, but drool over the oldschool stuff. We still have a nice 80s/90s pg setup in mine and my dad's project car.
I'm not really a fan of anything newer than the Octane R lineup from them now though.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-11-2015, 2:37 PM Reply   
While talking about amps and power and whatnot, without starting a new thread, anyone heard of these juice box batteries?
They are equivalent to 5 group 31 agm batteries. I'm thinking about picking up 2, which in effect would give me the power and run time of 10 group 31s! But without the hassle of where to put the damn batteries. They should fit in my factory battery placement area in my v215 beneath the seat.
They are on a forum discount at $995/ea shipped
http://juiceboxbattery.com/product/0...hosphate-unit/
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-11-2015, 2:47 PM Reply   
I think that the core of what the original Phoenix Gold was initially built on was the MS, MPS, ZPA, Titanium, and to a lesser degree the XS series. Below that or after that I never saw the same commitment.
You will not find anything like that today with those bolt-thru transformer leads, massive buss bars, I/2 inch wide traces and so on. And certainly not in the present manifestation of the P.G. product.
It would be hard to reproduce some of those high current amplifiers today because with the audio industry changes many of those monster output devices are no longer available.
We were one of the first handful of Team Phoenix Gold dealers when they came to market and we built a world finals first place winner with those P.G. amplifiers. So I have great memories.
On the flipside, technology has advanced in so many respects since then. Today, I wouldn't give up a JL Audio Slash 1200.1 in exchange for anything from yesteryear.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-11-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
While talking about amps and power and whatnot, without starting a new thread, anyone heard of these juice box batteries?
They are equivalent to 5 group 31 agm batteries. I'm thinking about picking up 2, which in effect would give me the power and run time of 10 group 31s! But without the hassle of where to put the damn batteries. They should fit in my factory battery placement area in my v215 beneath the seat.
I have some reservations. There is no weight to those (only 33 lbs) and you cannot have real long term reserves without weight. There's no cheating that. And I do not see a clearly stated amp/hour rating that I am impressed with. Five group 31 batteries would be 525 amp/hours and that is the main specification that you should be concerned with in a boat application. Look into this deeper before you make the leap.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-11-2015, 4:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
I have some reservations. There is no weight to those (only 33 lbs) and you cannot have real long term reserves without weight. There's no cheating that. And I do not see a clearly stated amp/hour rating that I am impressed with. Five group 31 batteries would be 525 amp/hours and that is the main specification that you should be concerned with in a boat application. Look into this deeper before you make the leap.
I don't know much about batteries but I saw this in their faq.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1426117905334.jpg
Views: 6024
Size:  113.0 KB
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-11-2015, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
I don't know much about batteries but I saw this in their faq.

Attachment 38208
The answer to the first question was enough for me
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-12-2015, 5:53 PM Reply   
I need advice.

I have a very simple setup in my chevelle and need to replace both amps.

I have a SVC 12" comp12 kicker, fairly low priced in a proper box.
What amp as the Boss amp I had blew up, go figure?

I then have (2) 6.5" kickers in the doors and (2) 6x9s in the package tray. They are on the cheap side but sound great for this car.

Looking for the lowest price but not garbage set of a 4 channel and a mono amps

I was warned against the Boss, didn;t listen and it blew after maybe 15 hours of use.

Hoping to come in under $250 for both amps, what do y'all recommend? I play it loud but its not getting daily use, maybe once a week short drives and car shows a few times a year

Thanks.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-14-2015, 2:19 PM Reply   
All this talk about amps got me shopping for a new one since my alipine five channel started dropping channels last season. The only channel that worked was the sub.

I ended up getting an arc audio xdi 805. The ppi amps seemed to be out of stock everywhere and I have heard good things about arc audio. I hope I am happy.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-14-2015, 3:32 PM Reply   
PPI is owned by Power Acoustik now, isn't it?

Good choice on the Arc, but did you really buy an 805? That's last years model. Should've opted for the 850.5, it's solid. I've sold a bunch of those lately with good results. The caddy built on Overhaulin a few months ago was built with XDI amps and Arc series speakers.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-14-2015, 3:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
I need advice.

I have a very simple setup in my chevelle and need to replace both amps.

I have a SVC 12" comp12 kicker, fairly low priced in a proper box.
What amp as the Boss amp I had blew up, go figure?

I then have (2) 6.5" kickers in the doors and (2) 6x9s in the package tray. They are on the cheap side but sound great for this car.

Looking for the lowest price but not garbage set of a 4 channel and a mono amps

I was warned against the Boss, didn;t listen and it blew after maybe 15 hours of use.

Thanks.
So you spent money on a Boss amp, it's in the trash.
You still want cheap, but not garbage - "Best Cheapest"

With the budget of $250 for a minimum 5 channels, you'll get garbage. Instead of buying amps 2 or 3 times a year, buy once. There's no value in cheap. Spend your money wisely the first time.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-14-2015, 5:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
PPI is owned by Power Acoustik now, isn't it?

Good choice on the Arc, but did you really buy an 805? That's last years model. Should've opted for the 850.5, it's solid. I've sold a bunch of those lately with good results. The caddy built on Overhaulin a few months ago was built with XDI amps and Arc series speakers.
Honestly it met my rms power requirements and it is a class d with a better reputation than ppi. I got it for cheaper than the ppi also.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       03-15-2015, 6:04 AM Reply   
I've actually got a SoundStream PN520.4 amp in the fairing of my motorcycle and have been pleasantly surprised. It takes more vibration and punishment than anything in my boat and it has held up really well. For the money, I'm really happy with it and would recommend it to anyone.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-17-2015, 5:37 PM Reply   
John thats a good point, I knew better but the 53$ amp solution for my car was too good to pass up....now I really know better

Do you have any recommendations on brands? I'd rather do a mono and then a separate 4 channel as it's already wired for that.

Thanks

Ryan I'll look at the soundstream
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-17-2015, 5:47 PM Reply   
I would stretch the budget just a hair and buy this guy's used JL XD 700/5: http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/fo...ereo-equipment
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-17-2015, 6:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I would stretch the budget just a hair and buy this guy's used JL XD 700/5: http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/fo...ereo-equipment
You are a day late on this. I picked up an arc audio xdi 805 for my inboat speakers. It was used for $175 on ebay.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-19-2015, 4:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
Quoting this, I've been in communication with Kevin at juicebox. These batteries are a whole new ball game. And are lithium. And can be made in any size, shape power, anything! This appeals BIG TIME as my seats are super shallow. They can also be ran with other batteries. And have built in breakers to cut off at low voltage so you don't fry your amps should they get too low.
I think I'm going to give it a shot. $900 for the equivalent of 5 group 31s, all in a tiny light package that can be formed to fit where I need it.
Sign me up.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-19-2015, 4:22 PM Reply   
http://juiceboxbattery.com/juicebox-...hosphate-faqs/
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-19-2015, 5:04 PM Reply   
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithi...sphate_battery

It looks like we may have a changing of the guard when it comes to batteries. I am guessing this is the same material used in Prius cars for their batteries.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-19-2015, 8:49 PM Reply   
Also while we are on the subject of amps and new technology.
I've been learning about taramps out of brazil. Compact, and very efficient. Do rated rms power @ 12.6v
Different type of circuitry used in comparison to the Korean amps. Best comparison I had was a gas vs diesel motor.
Because I still can't seem to wrap my head around these things being so small and powerful, but they are the real deal. Going to order one to push my sundown zv4s
http://www.droppinhzcaraudio.com/taramps-hd-6500/
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-20-2015, 6:52 AM Reply   
Makes you go hmmm, when you see words like "Maximum" and "RMS" in the same line.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-20-2015, 6:56 AM Reply   
Read about them. They are the real deal lol
If the Brazilians figured out how to run their cars on sugarcane in the 70s, I'm sure they can build an amp lol
I stumbled on the maximum rms thing too, but again we have a language barrier.
Effectively that is the MAXIMUM rms to be put out at x voltage.
You won't see a Korean amp labeled that way. It'll just say X rms, even though x actually is the max rms.
we are just used to seeing max and rms

Last edited by Jmorlan; 03-20-2015 at 6:59 AM.