Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old    spicoli            02-17-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
does anyone know if there is a coast guard law about changing your alternator, to say, an h.o. unit that isnt marine specific, like a stinger, or etc.
Old    g3revenge            02-17-2004, 9:39 PM Reply   
i would say you'll get a ticket for it. you should at least screen the housing yourself.
Old    spicoli            02-17-2004, 10:35 PM Reply   
im looking for about 140 amp, i looked in west marine, and they were like 900 bucks? does anyone know of any cheaper? i have access to all the big car audio brands, but none list marine apps, and i want to do it right. a ticket would suck!
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-17-2004, 11:22 PM Reply   
http://www.thebatteryshack.com/

I got my HO alt from Max at the Battery Shack for the same cost of a new factory regular output alt.

If you get a ticket for that I think you better just hang it up and go home becuase your pretty unlucky.
Old    g3revenge            02-18-2004, 6:18 AM Reply   
no, if the boat explodes, that's unlucky. get the highest output MARINE aternator you can afford. they all spark, but the screens stifle the flames. it does happen.
Old    hockeyruss            02-18-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
Do you really think the Coast Guard is going to inspect your alternator? I have been through many coast guard inspections both volunteer and been boarded and never have they scrutinized over engine components.
Old    g3revenge            02-18-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
inspected, caught or not. be safe. got screen?
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-18-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
I wouldn't worry about the CG, but I would worry about sparks in a closed compartment with gas fumes. There is a reason they make marine alternators, and it's not just so they can charge more.
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-18-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
Probably no ticket but you might get a Darwin award
Old    bluemalibu            02-18-2004, 10:04 AM Reply   
Several years ago, I was boating past the gas dock in the marina, all of the sudden BOOM! Some unlucky boater’s boat just exploded. The people that were in the boat were blown out, and were now in the water. The engine cover was sent into the air like an unguided missile. I was 40 or 50 yards away and was totally surprised at how strong the percussion was, even at that distance. People from the gas dock were in the water pulling the people that were blown out of the boat. The Coastguard was on the scene in less that a minute. It was totally amazing that nobody was killed.

I don’t know what ignited the explosion, but I will never have a non-marine alternator, starter, distributor, or engine compartment mounted ballast pump on my boat.
Old    spicoli            02-18-2004, 10:22 AM Reply   
i contacted a couple of places, and got quotes for between 150-200 range for a direct replacement 140 amp marine, so thats really reasonable, imo, thanks for the advice!
Old    whitechocolate            02-18-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
I upgraged my Alternator from the Bat Shack, it was $400 for a 165 Amp No Problem's Bolts right up, dont "f" around with anything other than a Marine Alternator for your boat. Or at least tell us where you are going to be so we can watch what Geoff explained happen to you J/K.
Old    whitechocolate            02-18-2004, 10:32 AM Reply   
Instructions and photos here http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/alternator
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-19-2004, 5:19 PM Reply   
There are laws regarding using non-marine certified parts in the engine compartment. This includes all items of the fuel system and electrical system.

It takes three things to get an explosion: Air, Fuel, and an ignition source.

You can't do anything about the air, it is going ot be there. The marine certified parts are used to make sure that the remaining two elements never exist together.

Keeping the gas fumes out of the boat is fairly easy, but subject to failure. Rubber hoses eventually crack and can leak. Sloppy handling at the gas pump can allow gas fumes to settle into the boat.

Avoiding a source of ignition is a bit harder, but at least it doesn't degrade much over time. Motors, especially starters, generate massive sparks in normal operation. A standard autmotive part would certainly ignite any gas fumes that happened to be around.

The alternator doesn't generate as much sparking as a motor, but they do have brushes that could spark.

It may be tempting to use the non marine part, especially since there are no inspections or other "preventative" measures. However, if your boat blows up, the insurance company may wonder why and have their inspector take a look. If he finds non-approved parts the insurance company may deny the claim.

Years ago I was witness to an accident at a marina. A small runabout had just filled up at the gas dock, and when the boat was started it literally blew up and burst into flames. The boat had already been untied from the dock, and the blazing wreck drifted across the marina into a dock full of large cruisers and houseboats. There were several large boats that burned to the waterline and many others that had significant damage.

There were all sorts of people examining that boat! I would hate to have been the owner if there were any non-approved parts used on that boat!

Rod