Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (h2oskeefreek)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-16-2004, 7:29 PM Reply   
I've searched and searched and wasted my evening reading about Tige's with wood (how do you pronounce that name?) all trying to find out what the last year each major company used wood. so can we post this info in this easy to find thread about "the last year for wood"?

If you know, please respond with the year that each company stopped using wood in thier hull construction. Please no bickering about is it good or bad, or how great the Tige' warranty is or isn't.

Simply: when was the last year that X company stopped using wood.

and no jokes about having wood.
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-16-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
Sangers still use wood!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-16-2004, 8:17 PM Reply   
define using wood
Old     (healing)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-16-2004, 8:23 PM Reply   
Does the option of having teak on the swim platform count? J/K
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-16-2004, 8:43 PM Reply   
I believe the '03 Tiges were the last. BTW it is pronounced tye-ga
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-16-2004, 8:53 PM Reply   
Most companies phased out over a number of years as they brought in new boats. Most of the big 3 had at least partially phased wood out by the mid 90s, if not earlier. That is if you are talking about major hull components like stringers, etc. It is harder to tell when you look into things like seat bases, etc.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-16-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
Sky Supremes are all composite... NO WOOD... from 2001 and up I think.... Hulls, stringer system, seat backs.... everything in the boat is fibreglass and composites...

You would be surprised how many claim no wood... and still use wood in the seat backs etc....

So who really knows....
Old     (h2oskeefreek)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-17-2004, 3:44 AM Reply   
what i'm conscerned with is the specific year that a all of the major boats stopped using wood i the construction of the hull. It seems to play a major role in many new boaters decision making process, including mine. For instance, currently i'm looking at 2 boats, a 1990 MC Tristar- No wood and a 1990 sport nautique- No wood? i don't know, but someone does. sooooo......lets list what we know.

format: X boat company last used wood for hull construction in 19XX.

and i know sangers still use wool. sorry, i get my l's and d's mixed up. "George Washington had teeth made of wool."
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-17-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
I thought the TriStars at least had some wood. I thought MasterCraft didn't phase wood out totally until at least 1992 or so. I don't know about the Nautique.
Old    tattoobling            02-17-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
If you get a Centurion you still have the pleasure of getting wood.....as part of the construction of the seat bases, backs, etc. Wouldn't worry though, who would ever have the audacity of sitting on a boat seat when their shorts are still wet. Not picking on Centurion in particular, just know that one fact. There could be more woodies lurking out there, just don't know.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
I'd be willing to bet that both 1990 models you're looking at use wood in some capacity.
Old    markb            02-17-2004, 8:46 AM Reply   
The seat backs on my centurion are plastic of some type. However there are a few pieces of XL in the ski locker
Old     (healing)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-17-2004, 9:23 AM Reply   
On my 2002 Centurion the seat bases and backs are plastic/composite. The wood I have found is the kick panel by the drivers feet. And there is a piece of wood, dividing the front of the rear lockers. These pieces are all carpeted and they are in a vertical position not horizontal. So if they get wet they should dry easily. They are not in an area that easily gets wet and believe me we have brought plenty of water on board. That's what friends are for right?
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       02-17-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure the Nautique had wood floors in 1990.

Trace on here had a Prostar (92 I think) that had wood floors.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-17-2004, 12:12 PM Reply   
around 88 or 89 I think Supra stopped using wood
Old    aemonier            02-17-2004, 12:29 PM Reply   
MasterCraft quit using wood on stringers and floors in 1984. Some late 1983 boats were also made this way. After that the gunnel pads had wood until 1996 or 1997. Some seat bases had wood until 1991 I think, not sure on the last one.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-17-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   

yup, the middle removable floor sections in my 92 MC PS190 were balsa encased in glass (for light weight - ski boat). the stringers & outer floors were all glass. also the batting boards behind upholstered side panels were plywood. seat bases were some type of plastic, UHMW i believe. i believe CC used wood stringers until 92 or 93.
Old    tball            02-17-2004, 6:19 PM Reply   
...worked out ok for Noah, but he was only out a couple of weeks.

sorry for the religious reference...back to the action...
Old     (h2oskeefreek)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2004, 4:49 AM Reply   
ok, so whatever boat i get is going to have some wood, but no one honestly knows how much in any boat.....thanks guys