Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bombhills407)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-07-2018, 7:33 AM Reply   
Hi Guys -

This prior season, an outstanding citizen stole my swim platform off of my boat. I contacted MB directly in an attempt to order a new swim platform directly from them but unfortunately they don’t carry the mold anymore. Any suggestions on where to order a new swim platform from?

Also, when they removed my swim platform they forgot to remove the pin from the alternate side. I’m assuming they got nervous and forgot but luckily they left me with one of the brackets that weld to the swim step. I was going to attempt to have a machine shop recreate one for me but thought I would see if anyone knew where you could buy them aftermarket. Again, I called MB direct with no luck and have scoured the internet but haven’t found anything yet.

Thanks for your time!
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-07-2018, 8:08 AM Reply   
Post a picture of what you do have, and it'll be easier for us to help you track down the appropriate brackets - as there's several variations (lift off, slide out, swing down, etc.)

http://www.teakmarinewoodwork.com/sw..._platforms.htm This place will make custom teak platforms to the size and curve you need. Alternatively, you could make a new one from HDPE and put gatorstep or Seadek on it.
Old     (Bombhills407)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-07-2018, 8:47 AM Reply   
Here is a picture of the bracket. I guess it would be considered a lift off style?

I thought about the HDPE but have read some people in forums state they have issues with them sagging?
Attached Images

Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-07-2018, 8:53 AM Reply   
http://www.alloymarine.com/indexII/swimdeck.htm These guys have what you'll need for brackets. Looks like they actually broke the bracket which is somewhat impressive.

Regarding HDPE sag, some angle or strip metal pieces installed to the underside would take care of any sag. A middle support or additional bracket doesn't hurt either.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-07-2018, 1:24 PM Reply   
Those are the same brackets used on the Centurions of that era. You simply can't get replacements. I believe they were made by Alloy Marine (whos link is listed above this post).

I think y our best bet is to find another solution for the brackets. Alloy Marine has some good ones that should work.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-07-2018, 3:39 PM Reply   
Also on the HDPE sagging...depends on the thickness you get. You can get it from 3/8" all the way up to 1 1/2" thick, so you can definately get a piece what will not sag.
I recently bought some to do some modifications to my boat (not a swimstep) and used a router on the edges and it turned out great! So if you can get the brackets, you can definately have a swim deck fabricated out of HDPE or similar materials
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-09-2018, 7:18 AM Reply   
Aren't the people using HDPE covering it with Fiberglass?
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-09-2018, 9:00 AM Reply   
If you were going to fiberglass, not sure why you'd use HDPE, it's one of the most difficult plastics to bond anything to with its low surface energy. Glassing over some plywood would be a hell of a lot easier. HDPE has benefits as it's non-corrosive, and is fairly budget friendly. You can make it look decent with some gator step or sea deck, just would likely need to do a good surface prep before applying them (low grit sand/flame treatment) for decent adhesion.

I personally wouldn't go the HDPE route (I like teak), but it's certainly a more budget friendly solution.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-09-2018, 9:10 AM Reply   
I have a complete set up off a 14 supreme 226 transom brackets and all I would make you a deal on but think shipping would be to expensive
Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       03-09-2018, 12:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
I have a complete set up off a 14 supreme 226 transom brackets and all I would make you a deal on but think shipping would be to expensive
I have shipped large car parts (doors and trunk lid) via both Greyhound and Fastenal. Both have very reasonable rates. Just package it properly to protect it.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       03-12-2018, 9:15 AM Reply   
FIRST OFF ..To the OP im sorry that happened to you I hate thieves ..

I like teak too but I'm sick of the maintenance . HDPE seems like a good economical choice but Im also a big guy so I would have to make sure it was supported well so it doesn't sag or bow . I might really need to think about the HDPE as an option . Id want some grab holes and seadek .
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-20-2018, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombhills407 View Post
Here is a picture of the bracket. I guess it would be considered a lift off style?

I thought about the HDPE but have read some people in forums state they have issues with them sagging?
looks just like my 2004 Malibu VLX bracket.,.,
Attached Images