Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-06-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Hey guys.... It's on to the next project. I toyed with the idea of selling my DRZ400sm. I listed it high, and figured I'd sell it if I got a solid offer. Well, it didn't take long. I had mixed feelings about selling it, but I'm onto the next project.

That said, I'm in love with SM's they're soo much fun, but I'd like something with a bit more punch. A 600 would be killer. The 650's are cool, but I dig Cliff's new bike and I'm thinking a air cooler would be fun. I'm also looking for something that I can dual sport. My DRZ was too cherry to do much real off roading on.

So, the search is on. 1995-2000 XR600r. I'd consider an older one if it were in good shape. I'd like to find one as late as possible. Extras area plus, but I figure I'll super moto it myself.

http://www.4strokes.com/guests/image...asp?ImgID=3668
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-07-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
I'm thinking a air cooler would be fun.

http://www.4strokes.com/guests/image...asp?ImgID=3668

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the air cooled is only on the L version, and the R is watercooled. I think Cliff's bike is super sweet, but I'd rather have water cooled.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-08-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
I've never owned one, but the liquid cooled versions are said to have a lot more power potential. Ability to run higher compression is a given. So if you're looking for more punch, I say don't leave anything on the table and get the one with the radiators.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-08-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
MIne is the 650l but I think Evan just mis typed. The R is waaaaaay more powerful but they are hard to come by in street legal form. Even though they are water cooled I've heard they don't fair well when sitting in stop and go traffic. Guess the water pump doesn't really push unless the bike is moving. As for the L it's known to be a bullet proof tractor of a motor. MIne doesn't have near the top end of an R but the low end is almost limitless. Best way I can describe it is as if you had a diesel motor in a bike.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-10-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
Yeah guys... The 650r's are water coolers and have a lot of grunt, but some more mass, too. I like the simplicity of the air cooler. That's why I'm leaning that way. The XR600r's are the older air cooler. They're pre-650r water cooler's. From my understanding the main difference between the L and the R is the lack of an electric start, cc's, and few more dual sport features on the L. The L's didn't happen till the end of the production run. They were the last of the air-cooler's and made side by side with the watercooled bikes. The R's were more of a dirt bike, but lot's got plated.

This is from my brief searching.

Yes, the 650r will have more power, but the 600's get it pretty good. Better than my DRZ-400 (which desperately needed to be a 450 and have one more gear). I'd like to have a bit more range on the freeway. I've know na few guys with 600's that ripped. I think it'll get the job done for me. If I can't find one I like I may go for the 650r. in the meantime, there's a huge dual-sport ride that happens here every year. I figure I'll wait till that's over. A lot of guys buy bikes for just that one event, then sell right after. We'll see what I can find.

From what I know the air coolers are BOMB proof. I like that.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-11-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
http://pnwriders.com/motorcycles/130...0r-3800-a.html

Maybe worth a look for the price...
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-11-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
YEYA!! A couple buds in my riding group have the 650R. They have nothing but good things to say and can actually hold up somewhat well on the street. Tons of mods!
Good to see you're picking up another hobby! I stepped into a gnarly freestyle stand-up this year...more money than sense or brains at this point. LOL
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-12-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
To bad your on the other coast. I found this one today.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/1737160816.html
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-12-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
Man, no offense Cliff and Evan, but my uncle had the L and it was a dog. Cliff yours may be different as I believe it has mods.

Evan, have you checked out the Husky 610's?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-12-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Blair.... that's a nice R for a great price.

Bendow, one of the guys here at the shop has a 610. It's sweet. I was looking at one on craigslist this morning. I'm going to go out to look at a few this weekend. And yes... The 600r's and 650 r's and l's need mods to open them up. The DRZ is lame in stock form too. They're totally choked down from the factory.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-12-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
To bad your on the other coast. I found this one today.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/1737160816.html
I'm diggin the sweet drilled airbox mod! Otherwise a nice looking bike, but clearly owned by a moron at some point in its life.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-13-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendow View Post
Man, no offense Cliff and Evan, but my uncle had the L and it was a dog. Cliff yours may be different as I believe it has mods.

Evan, have you checked out the Husky 610's?
I couldn't agree more when they are in stock form.

A buddy of mine has one in stock form and it's a pig that won't get out of it's own way. As Evan stated, you can wake them up big time with a few mods. Slap an Edlebrock carb on, open up the air box, throw a full exhaust at it, slap a cbr front rotor and caliper on it. Finish it up by throwing everything that would add weight away and all of a sudden it's a different bike. The L will never be the R but when done up right it has no problem leaving DRZ riders with similar mods red faced as you pass them.