Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dogs)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-23-2014, 10:22 AM Reply   
My Mailview screen is frozen and I am unable to change anything on it. The depth is stuck at 35ft, the fuel level wont change. Nothing will register. The water temp gauge, air temp, speed and RPMs on the side gauges wont register anything. I did disconnect the battery to see if it would correct the problem, but no help. Brought it to the shop and they updated the software, but where not to sure about what was wrong and hoped that would help which it didn't. Any thoughts? Thanks for any ideas
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-23-2014, 12:58 PM Reply   
This is exactly why I'm soo against all these computer systems in boats. What happens if your in the middle of the lake and a bad storm comes up? Your computer and or screen takes on water. Now you cannot start your boat and your stuck. These mfgs are idiotic in my opinion. I'll be buying an axis when my time comes. Good old fashioned toggle switches and a normal key to start the engine
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-23-2014, 1:28 PM Reply   
Sanger!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2014, 2:17 PM Reply   
Hmmm.. Any issues that I've ever seen were quickly solved by cutting battery power (turning off the perko switch) and turning it back on to reset. We're on our 4th Malibu, and had never had a serious issue.

Is your dealer working on this with Malibu?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2014, 2:18 PM Reply   
And one of my best friends has a Sanger. He would love to trade his problems for yours.
Old     (dogs)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-23-2014, 3:09 PM Reply   
Dealership was recently sold. New people seem more interested in pontoons and bass boats. They said they contacted Malibu and was told it was only a new software issue and everything was working perfect. Once we got the boat back in the water we realized nothing was working
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-23-2014, 3:56 PM Reply   
Ha! I have a sanger with zero problems and I too would like to trade for your problems. I love those damn Malibu boats!
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-23-2014, 4:01 PM Reply   
Surprisingly, there haven't been many threads on here with people complaining about touch screens. Hopefully you get that figured out. Electronics can be weird. I had a car stereo that had a detachable face that all of a sudden froze. I took disconnected the battery, no luck. I lived with no stereo for a year. I then switched the car to being a summer car, and when I put it in storage for a few months I pulled the battery cable. When I hooked it up 90 days later, stereo worked fine.
Old     (dogs)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-23-2014, 5:08 PM Reply   
Strange thing is that the other gauges also stopped working. The RPM meter which is analogue won't register as well
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-24-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
This is exactly why I'm soo against all these computer systems in boats. What happens if your in the middle of the lake and a bad storm comes up? Your computer and or screen takes on water. Now you cannot start your boat and your stuck. These mfgs are idiotic in my opinion. I'll be buying an axis when my time comes. Good old fashioned toggle switches and a normal key to start the engine
You should do some more research. Every Malibu 2012 and up comes from the factory with a backup key that starts and runs the engine independent of any electronics or screens. 2010 and prior used a key to start the engine independent of Malivu. 2011 was the only year that used only the MTC touch screen to start the engine and there is a backup key retrofit that can be installed by the dealer if you want it.

If you prefer manual switches that is fine, but on Malibu at least your concerns of being stranded by a frozen screen are unwarranted. Not to mention I have never had a single issue or glitch with either Malivu or MTC in 3 seasons of use, and I have been caught out in a surprise heavy rain storm where everything got wet. No problems at all.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-24-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
Ok you got be ill trade my sanger for your Malibu.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-24-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
Sounds like more of a problem with the medallion system than just the Maliview. Especially if your gauges went as well. Dealer had no answer?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2014, 10:15 AM Reply   
Just giving you **** Shawn :-) I actually love Sangers, and the one in question is an older boat with a LOT of hours.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-24-2014, 10:30 AM Reply   
The one thing I don't like on malibu is maliview. Terrible application, poor placement and on my LSV it's replaced the analogs. Once you get used to it it's serviceable, but it's a pretty poor system all around.
Old     (dogs)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-24-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
We had our maliview updated twice and the battery checked. They now have a call into Malibu and I have also left Malibu a message.
Old     (dogs)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-24-2014, 11:46 AM Reply   
does the medallion system run both the gauges and the maliview? I thought that the company made both products but I did not know they have a common interface.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-24-2014, 4:48 PM Reply   
J-Rod, I was agreeing with your friend. I would love a new BU!
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-24-2014, 8:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
The one thing I don't like on malibu is maliview. Terrible application, poor placement and on my LSV it's replaced the analogs. Once you get used to it it's serviceable, but it's a pretty poor system all around.

I don't think it's bad at all, I think people try to make it more complicated than it is. There is a lot of information that Maliview can give you, but to the average boater (95% of people), there are really only two things you need to use from it, maybe three.

The gauges button - you have several screens to choose from which shows speed, rpms, ballast levels, etc. find re one you like the best and leave it there

Presets - self explanatory. Most use the factory presets anyway. How often does anyone not fill the tanks all the way? Or half, or whatever presets are in there already.

(Optional)
Media - controlling the radio via Maliview is cumbersome, an does take some learning. It is a lot easier to use the remote located on the dash.

Everything is service stuff, engine info, etc. great info if needed, but things most won't look at

Just my opinion
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-25-2014, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
I don't think it's bad at all, I think people try to make it more complicated than it is. There is a lot of information that Maliview can give you, but to the average boater (95% of people), there are really only two things you need to use from it, maybe three.

The gauges button - you have several screens to choose from which shows speed, rpms, ballast levels, etc. find re one you like the best and leave it there

Presets - self explanatory. Most use the factory presets anyway. How often does anyone not fill the tanks all the way? Or half, or whatever presets are in there already.

(Optional)
Media - controlling the radio via Maliview is cumbersome, an does take some learning. It is a lot easier to use the remote located on the dash.

Everything is service stuff, engine info, etc. great info if needed, but things most won't look at

Just my opinion
Major issues with the malivue are that there isn't one view that shows you everything. It's mix and match. You can't see RPM and MPH at the same time, and we've needed that to trouble shoot some power issues with our LS3. You have to be on cruise to see volts, there is no need for two screens, since you have two screens why is the crappy media option on the one you need to be able to drive and control everything instead of on the ballast screen? The media screen is needed, becasue the RF stuff in the boat is crap, and our remote has gone out twice already in the first 50 hours we've had it. All in all love the boat, but hate malivue. Just rode on my buddies g21 this morning and their system is sooo much better
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-25-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
I haven't heard too many issues with the rf remote on the dash other than it being too sensitive. What do you mean you have to be on cruise to see the volts? I'm heading out tomorrow hopefully and will have to check that out
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-25-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
Go to malibu crew, it's a very common issue. RF is just really a crappy marine product. If I had my way i would have put a alpine or kenwood headunit in, but the wife wanted waht worked with malivue............ Now she hates the stereo lol. Luckily I only kept the headunit, everything else is upgraded.

Check it out, the volts meter is only on the cruise screen. all in all malivue is just poorly designed all around. Love the boats, just don't like malivue.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-25-2014, 1:07 PM Reply   
What's a common problem?

I had the head unit in my 2010, but ordered my 2014 without a stereo and did a custom install. Way easier
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-25-2014, 1:52 PM Reply   
They crap out, they also come unplugged super easy. I wanted to do a full custom install, but got talked out of it byt the wife, so only the head unit was left. The rest is custom
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-25-2014, 3:18 PM Reply   
I thought you were referring to the Maliview. I haven't seen the RF remote as a common problem over on TMC, but I don't doubt there are issues