Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-20-2013, 4:34 AM Reply   
I'm riding a 2010 murray nova core Hyperlite. Looking for something new and a nice fast edging board. I am partial to USA made products. One shop said try slingshot. I found a new 2013 whip. Love the graphics. Like the idea of continuous rocker for speed. But one shop said it grips too much because agressive bottom design. I am also looking at the CWB Merica. Pretty sweet looking board. Just the price if the board and local shop doesn't have one on order. I would have to drop cash to get one in to check it out. Any information would be great on the slingshot boards or this cwb Merica. The Hyperlite marek has peaked my interest as well. But are the nova's still USA made?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-20-2013, 6:41 AM Reply   
I wouldn't call the Whip too grippy at all. It tracks well, changes edges quickly and smoothly, but you don't feel overly locked in. To me, it rides like a wakeboard, where some of the featureless bottom Slingshots don't as much. I really like riding the Whip, incredibly durable and a fun riding board that will do everything you ask and want it to with no problem. Not USA made, but the CTRL boards this year are very money, too. Supreme or Hustle for CTRL
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-20-2013, 6:43 AM Reply   
I rode an older Whip and would not characterize the base as gripping too much. I wouldn't buy this board for the boat because it doesn't grip that much. For the cable and especially hitting obstacles I really liked it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-20-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
I have rode it with and without fins on the boat, and it tracked fine for me. Actually was impressed with how well it did finless, as it was an accident I had forgot to grab my fins.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       12-20-2013, 7:28 AM Reply   
I agree with everyone above. I actually ride the slightly more aggressive hooke for boat and it is no where near as grippy as some boards like the one. Plus with the removable fins, you'll be fine. That being said I now have two slingshots and love em, I'd say go for it especially if you can get a good deal this time of year.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-29-2013, 2:16 PM Reply   
Thanks. I keep going in circles about this decision. Some shops say ronix one timebomb. Taking a look into that board too. Or one atr. Like I mentioned, I do support USA made products. So trying to take that into consideration.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-30-2013, 7:34 AM Reply   
Do you have a rocker preference?

The Whip is continuous. If you like 3-Stage, the new Lyman is really great too. I rode one and it's really locked in on edge and has great smooth pop with the 3-stage rocker.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-30-2013, 3:57 PM Reply   
I'm on a subtle 3 stage 2010 murray nova core. And I really like it. Before that I rode continuous rockers. I like a lot of speed on edge. Does the Lyman have really good speed on edge?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-30-2013, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucktoerider View Post
I'm on a subtle 3 stage 2010 murray nova core. And I really like it. Before that I rode continuous rockers. I like a lot of speed on edge. Does the Lyman have really good speed on edge?
If it was spring, then I could tell you. I have the new Lyman and it has a very aggressive rocker. I doubt any choice you make will be a bad choice. Good luck.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-30-2013, 7:58 PM Reply   
It's not super fast but it and the whip are probably the fastest of the slingshot lineup. If you prefer 3 stage the the Lyman is the way to go.
Old     (tushar_tech)      Join Date: Aug 2013       12-30-2013, 9:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
It's not super fast but it and the whip are probably the fastest of the slingshot lineup. If you prefer 3 stage the the Lyman is the way to go.
i like it ...
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-31-2013, 3:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar_tech View Post
i like it ...
I somehow doubt it