Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BlakeEatmon)      Join Date: Nov 2014       01-15-2015, 6:07 PM Reply   
Hope this doesn't stir up a hornets nest but I gotta do it. Hope we can keep the bashing to a minimum, and get some real world input/feedback. I posted this on Teamtalk a few months ago right after demoing the new X23. I got some good feedback but it was mainly from MC owners and enthusiasts which is pretty much as I expected. I figured I owed it to myself to post over here before making a final decision between these 2 boats. I have eliminated all other boats and it is definitely down to these 2. Both great boats but totally different. I'll give my 2 cents on my experience/thoughts with both boats and see where it goes... Almost forgot, we will primarily use the boat for wake surfing and wakeboarding Thanks in advance for your input!
I demoed the new X-23 back in the fall. I was very impressed with the boat. Classic Mastercraft look just bigger and beefier overall. Handling was good, 6.2 performed nicely. They made a few nice changes from tradition like the rear facing lounge seats and the relocation of the battery switch (took a page from the G). The hard tank ballast was really nice however I was very disappointed to find out that they had fat sacks in both rear compartments from the factory. I thought that was the whole premise of making the boat deeper/bigger was for totally hidden hard tank ballast. There went the storage back there...Wakeboard wake was good but not G23 calibre. The surf wake was awesome on both sides however it was noticeably better on the port side. We shifted some people weight around and it quickly became just as good on the starboard side. We had 5 people in the boat. I have a 2012 Mastercraft X-30 now and the interior finishes were very reminiscent of what I already have albeit a few updates here and there. I will post some pictures below of the x-23 that i demoed.
Now on to the G23.I demoed a 2014 late in 2013. What a beast. I was equally impressed with this boat but in a whole different way. Wakeboard wake was phenomenal. Surf wake was great but not as good as the x-23. I didn't actually surf it nor did anyone else. No one had a wet suit. That boat had the 450 with the NSS. It didn't handle quite as good as the X-23 from what I remember but it held its own. I was really impressed with the storage, the interface, and the Seadek instead of carpet. Actually going to demo one again tomorrow so it will be fresh in my mind. In the last 2 weeks, Ive crawled in and out of both boats in the showroom and spent lots of time on each going through them.

Final thoughts-(again both great boats at the top of their game)

x-23 Likes

Handling
Clamping board racks
Surf wake
Transom seating
Surf system
Comfy seating
Trim tabs for balancing the boat out
Quick fill ballast (2 pumps per tank)
Sound system

x-23 Dislikes

Interior feels and looks like my 2012 x-30 (not that its a bad thing but time for a change)
no seadek
ballast bags are taking up the rear storage compartments
lack of storage overall
when surfing either side there is spray coming off the transom

G23 Likes

Awesome wakeboard wake
Surf system
Surf wake was good but I keep reading posts that more weight needs to be added (thoughts???)
Looks different than anything on the water
Storage galore
Seadek
Great interface
In floor cooler
Trashcan location with slot
Great layout overall

G23 Dislikes

Hit my head on the speakers and the front of the bimini (I'm 6-1)
Audio was not as good as MC (supposedly they upgraded for 2015) thoughts???
Bungees on the board racks (my biggest dislike) kudos to Mastercraft
Seats are not nearly as cozy as MC

Thats all I've got. This is really tough for me. I know, 3rd world problem...lol. Please share your thoughts and experiences. I'm leaning G23 by a nose but i have concerns over the surf wake being as good as the x-23 and with the handling overall in comparison. Never owned a Nautique either. Always had MC'S.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       01-15-2015, 6:37 PM Reply   
I am gonna vouch for the G mainly because I own one but because they improved a ton of stuff for 2015 which is the year boat I have. I have had it for about 4 months and love it more and more. I do agree with you on the hitting head as I am also 6-1 but its just something you learn. Next, the new sound system is amazing for 2015. It over 2500 watts with 4 amps and it is just insane. It sounds very clean with no distortion when turned up a fair amount. I also agree with you on board racks for MC being easier but I am not totally sure I trust them to hold my $800 board set up. I think they have been known to break (I am honestly not sure on this think I remember reading it somewhere) but with the amount of storage in the G I rarely use my board racks. Finally if you are really worried about the surf wake the guys over at Planetnautique.com would gladely help you get a huge wave going for your needs. If you have any more questions let me know!
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-16-2015, 4:18 AM Reply   
If I were buying 140k boat I pretty much wouldn't give a crap about what anyone said. You buy what you like man. They both seem to be great boats but haven't ridden in a x23 yet. To me you are gonna get a killer wake and a well built boat either way it just comes down to the styling. I would personally chose the MC just b/c I love the interior layout and rear seats.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-16-2015, 4:28 AM Reply   
^ what they said. It sounds like you are so hung on this decision that you may as well flip a coin if you can't make your mind up. You can't lose either way.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-16-2015, 4:45 AM Reply   
I'd say not near enough first hand info right now on the x23 to declare it superior to a G. If anyone does they are wearing goggles. You need to demo an X back to back with a G doing everything u like to do on a boat.

For me a couple things do come up right away:
G has far better reverse seating with lean backs both starboard and port.
Fresh air exhaust factory is awesome.
Tower is nicer on G
Rear walk thru nicer on G
Rear hatch access is crazy large on G
Plus the G doesn't have the giant flappers hanging off the back waiting to scrape the skin from people's legs hanging out swimming behind your boat.

Wakeboard wake is crazy on a G nothing conclusive on the X yet but it's marketed as a surf first boat.
Surf wake is said to be darn good in a G and surf wake on a x23 has been said to be not much if any better than a x30?
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-16-2015, 5:11 AM Reply   
Speaking of goggles....
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-16-2015, 5:28 AM Reply   
That post went from good to the definition of irony in 21 words. Well played!
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-16-2015, 5:41 AM Reply   
What about your dealers? Which one is going to take care of you better?
Old     (TRobb)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-16-2015, 6:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
I'd say not near enough first hand info right now on the x23 to declare it superior to a G. If anyone does they are wearing goggles. You need to demo an X back to back with a G doing everything u like to do on a boat.

For me a couple things do come up right away:
G has far better reverse seating with lean backs both starboard and port.
Fresh air exhaust factory is awesome.
Tower is nicer on G
Rear walk thru nicer on G
Rear hatch access is crazy large on G
Plus the G doesn't have the giant flappers hanging off the back waiting to scrape the skin from people's legs hanging out swimming behind your boat.

Wakeboard wake is crazy on a G nothing conclusive on the X yet but it's marketed as a surf first boat.
Surf wake is said to be darn good in a G and surf wake on a x23 has been said to be not much if any better than a x30?

Well put. The X23 is so new Zane is still putting gel in his hair for the promo videos. As such, any viewpoints expressed cannot be trusted as they are merely from the Kool-Aid clan.

What we do know:

X23 has better interior ergonomics.

Ragman has proven via peer-reviewed scientific YouTube video that C02 levels behind a boat while surfing are 0 with or without FAE.

The X23's is nicer and shiner and less likely to attract pigeons who will poop on the tower due to its non-stick coating.

The X23's rear walk through is nicer. How important is a rear walk through you ask....? Well, you walk through the rear of the boat EVERY time you access the boat from the rear. If you are spending $150K, best to have a good rear walkthrough. Look for plush walking material with nice logos etched into it as a sign of quality.

X23 has hatches to access storage.

Plus, the X23 has great flappers off the back you can use to climb onto the platform or as a griddle for those hot days when trailering through Arizona.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-16-2015, 6:15 AM Reply   
Feels kinda like I just read a Jet post!
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-16-2015, 6:52 AM Reply   
I have no preference to these boats, but I can speak to the surf wake of the G. This boat was the tow boat at Nationals at Callaway Gardens last Labor Day and it had a really nice surf wake. It is my understanding that there was 900lbs of hard weight added to the bow not sure about the rear lockers.

there is no way to go wrong here.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-16-2015, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejoeco View Post
I have no preference to these boats, but I can speak to the surf wake of the G. This boat was the tow boat at Nationals at Callaway Gardens last Labor Day and it had a really nice surf wake. It is my understanding that there was 900lbs of hard weight added to the bow not sure about the rear lockers.

there is no way to go wrong here.
There was also 1100s in the rear lockers.....

And yes, with that setup, it is fantastic.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-16-2015, 8:14 AM Reply   
Wow, what a problem to have! I sat in the G25 last weekend and the sound system is pretty impressive (should be the same for the G23) for 2015. I sat in the X23 and the interior is very comfortable. I think if you go with the G23, you will wind up with a sac in that locker for surfing anyway so I would remove that from your list of Cons on the X23. I really liked the X23's interior but the G's interior is nice too, love how deep you are in the boat.
Good luck man, that's a tough call! I'm guessing you will go MC since you already own one and know what to expect.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-16-2015, 8:41 AM Reply   
I've rode behind the G23 and only been in an X23 at a showroom. While I love MC's, if I had your "problem", I'd go with the G unless surfing is your main focus. From what I've seen the X23 will surf better but not by much. Both will surf as good or better than the X30, (I have surfed the X30), but the G wakeboard wake is unmatched. Of course it's a give and take situation with the MC having a much more comfortable interior, better handling and hard tanks, but for me it's mostly about the pull. I can't comment on the audio because I really don't care about audio as long as it works. I think the only downfall of the G is handling, and the seat cushions are really square but those aren't that big of a deal. I also am not a fan of only having a screen to control everything and be all your gages but they are all heading that way and I'm guessing if you can afford these boats new, you can afford to have stuff fixed haha. Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-16-2015, 9:39 AM Reply   
Well to me you pretty much nailed it in your own post. I would buy a boat based on wakes 1st and amenities 2nd. Yourself in the post stated theX23 wake wasn't G like. That one characteristic of almost every MC to date. You need to slam that thing with ballast and you lose tons of storage. The Nautique line on the other hand has alway not needed nearly as much ballast.

Your dislikes of the X23 are from a performance stand point. You can't change those. The audio in the G can be changed. You can possibly do a custom Bimini. Personally I like the bungees. I have seen way too many boards go flying out of the MC racks cruising across the lakes on rough days. You will have all the storage you need(can't change that on X23) which is the entire premise of 23ft boat of this caliber. The interior of the G is more squared off and traditional and the Audio is def better on the X23. However order base audio take the g to a custom ship and you'll have just as good of gear as the X23 dropping JL or Wetsounds in there. To me NSS is little better advantage to the gen 2. I haven't been in an X23 but any NSS boat prior to the compareable MC surfs much better. People will argue the X30 surf great but put that next to the 230 with NSS and the NSS boat handles better and needs half the extra ballast the x30 does.

All the key points that weigh the most to me in choosing a boat in your description fall to the G in this case over and over from what you describe except possibly the surf wake. Maybe seal the deal by grabbing an extra sac and throwing the G back in the lake. You said you didn't ride it so how can you make the assumption the surf wake is below the X23. Looks are very deceiving.........never buy based off the way a surf wake looks. You need to feel the power and transitions from it. Surf wakes require more than just size and pocket length from a view. Going from MC to Nautique is I think your huge hangup. "The boats have already spoken to you in your demo". Go with the better performing one for your needs

Last edited by xstarrider; 01-16-2015 at 9:46 AM.
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-16-2015, 10:59 AM Reply   
Looks are very deceiving.........never buy based off the way a surf wake looks. You need to feel the power and transitions from it. Surf wakes require more than just size and pocket length from a view. Going from MC to Nautique is I think your huge hangup. "The boats have already spoken to you in your demo". Go with the better performing one for your needs[/QUOTE]

This is really really important! I am an older guy and we surf as a family a lot. I have been behind many boats as stated earlier. Bigger surf wake isn't always better. How much the wake pushes you forward is! I call this push.

I would definitely want to test it to the max if I were spending this king of money. You control your own destiny.
Old     (TRobb)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-16-2015, 11:03 AM Reply   
I've ridden both. Wakeboard wake edge goes to G by a bit. Surf goes to X23 by a mile.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-16-2015, 11:12 AM Reply   
Here is something to keep in mind, if you can't do 900's on a wakeboard or 360 shuv's on a surf board how much difference will the wake/wave REALLY make? I don't think there will be a single trick you or your family can or can't do because the boat wasn't up to par. These are 2 of the best boats made, period. 2 of the best surf system waves on the planet and also the 2 of the most expensive 23' surf boats in the world.

I see this as more of a "Like" versus "need" issue. Both have tons of storage, seating, features, surf systems, etc.. But both look different with different styles and appeal to different tastes. I think talking like one or the other is far superior in performance just isn't true. To me dealer support and what you "like" better is more important that trying to qualify the wakes as being "superior" between these 2 boats.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-16-2015, 11:17 AM Reply   
Blake- One thing I forgot to mention that is pretty important to consider- I am done with rear bags. Done. When the x23 was first released, it didn't have rear bags. I was a bit disappointed when they added them. However, I figured I owed it to myself to demo anyhow. When on the demo, I purposely left the bags out on the second set (comes with plugs for fill hoses). They only hold about 300lbs of water total, and I couldn't really tell any difference. If there was, it was extremely minimal. I decided at that point that I was just going to carry 150lbs of lead behind the back panel on each side. This frees up my rear compartments for jackets and ropes, and I don't need to worry about the bags.

The main reason the X23 surfs better out of the box, is that the ballast is more rear biased. This is also the reason that the wakeboard wake isn't as big as the G. The total ballast is lower because you need to remove about 800lbs out of the back to have the boat balanced for wakeboarding.

Same reason why the surf wake improves so much on the G with the rear bags. From the factory, the ballast isn't as rear biased. It is more balanced for wakeboarding. Throw bags in the back, and poof, much better surf wake.

Although I thought the X23 wakeboard wake was awesome, and still scary big for me, I want to try it with the ballast full and some lead up front to balance it for wake.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-16-2015, 12:02 PM Reply   
This thread is bound to go out of control. Almost any thread that has these boats mentioned does. But I still like reading the information posted by people who have actual experience with these boats. Kind of like reading about the Ferrari I'll never own.

One thing I will mention after owning 1 correct craft and 2 mastercrafts. CC quality control is better IMO. Any new boat with this many features will have issues but you'll probably have less with CC. As mentioned above, all things being equal go with the best and most convenient dealer. You're likely to be seeing them in the first few months of ownership.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-16-2015, 1:20 PM Reply   
I've owned 2 MC's & 1 CC and agree with the above statement as well.
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       01-16-2015, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Here is something to keep in mind, if you can't do 900's on a wakeboard or 360 shuv's on a surf board how much difference will the wake/wave REALLY make? I don't think there will be a single trick you or your family can or can't do because the boat wasn't up to par. These are 2 of the best boats made, period. 2 of the best surf system waves on the planet and also the 2 of the most expensive 23' surf boats in the world.

I see this as more of a "Like" versus "need" issue. Both have tons of storage, seating, features, surf systems, etc.. But both look different with different styles and appeal to different tastes. I think talking like one or the other is far superior in performance just isn't true. To me dealer support and what you "like" better is more important that trying to qualify the wakes as being "superior" between these 2 boats.
Best statement made on this forum in any "Compare this Boat" request post on WW to date!

Well said 501!
Old     (BlakeEatmon)      Join Date: Nov 2014       01-16-2015, 6:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the input and thoughts guys! Really good feedback.
Old     (TRobb)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-16-2015, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeEatmon View Post
Thanks for all of the input and thoughts guys! Really good feedback.

So you gonna follow your brain and go with the X or follow your heart and go with the G?
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       01-18-2015, 8:31 AM Reply   
Something I'd throw out there, and I know it's not a massive deal but that G, drinks fuel like nothing I've ever seen before. Close to double what similar boats (23LSV and X23) are going to use.

I know that you could argue that when spending $150k that gas use is no big deal, but honestly, as a boat dealer, I'll tell you that it's something that impacts purchase decisions, especially if you're going to do 500 hours a year.

Something else I'd also point out that I've not seen anyone mention is that if you aren't super careful, when coming off plane in a G, water tends to splash over the transom and come right into the boat.

Plus side though, you couldn't argue the G isn't built well, awesome quality and detail. Great boat but it's not perfect.

X23 seems to be too new to give much decent opinion on.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-18-2015, 2:34 PM Reply   
"The G won't have enough aluminum and the MC will have too much." <<<
Old     (Tallredrider)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-20-2015, 11:01 AM Reply   
It may just be dealer hype, I will find out soon enough. ,But the new 2:1 transmission on the G23 helps it to suck gas less. That is the primary change between 2013 and 14. The dealer (who also owns one every year) told me he gets substantially better gas mileage. It makes sense that it would improve fuel economy.

They have supposedly fixed the prop shaft breakage issue.

I test drove both a G23 and a new Malibu 23 LSV (I know, not the subject of the thread), and I liked the G better, my buddy who was with me leaned towards the Malibu. MC dealer is 300 miles away, Malibu dealer 120 miles away, Nauti dealer 3 miles away. So the Nauti dealer one. Just saying that to echo the comments on dealer support being an important part of the decision.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-21-2015, 6:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallredrider View Post
It may just be dealer hype, I will find out soon enough. ,But the new 2:1 transmission on the G23 helps it to suck gas less. That is the primary change between 2013 and 14. The dealer (who also owns one every year) told me he gets substantially better gas mileage. It makes sense that it would improve fuel economy.

They have supposedly fixed the prop shaft breakage issue.

I test drove both a G23 and a new Malibu 23 LSV (I know, not the subject of the thread), and I liked the G better, my buddy who was with me leaned towards the Malibu. MC dealer is 300 miles away, Malibu dealer 120 miles away, Nauti dealer 3 miles away. So the Nauti dealer one. Just saying that to echo the comments on dealer support being an important part of the decision.

I have a buddy with a '14 G23 w/450. He had an early build '13 G23 before that (July 2012). The '14 turns higher RPM's for surfing/boarding and gets worse fuel consumption. It does. however, get out of the hole a LOT better than the '13. Going to try a different prop this year.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-21-2015, 7:16 AM Reply   
Will be demoing both of these back to back this weekend. Will give my feed back on Monday.....
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-22-2015, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Will be demoing both of these back to back this weekend. Will give my feed back on Monday.....
I thought you were a MC guy David..................... Where are you doing the demo?
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-22-2015, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejoeco View Post
I thought you were a MC guy David..................... Where are you doing the demo?
Not brand loyal just want a boat that fits our needs... It helps that Louisiana has a MC dealer close to us. I don't think I could handle the swells that roll off the back of a centurion.....
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-23-2015, 5:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit_rider View Post
Something I'd throw out there, and I know it's not a massive deal but that G, drinks fuel like nothing I've ever seen before. Close to double what similar boats (23LSV and X23) are going to use.
Is this an apples to apples comparison? When running stock ballast in the G, I agree it drinks more gas that my buddies 23LSV did. However, the wake is way larger as well. If we sacked out the LSV to create an equivalent wake, I really don't think the difference in gas consumption was that large. Certainly not close to double.

In order to be a true comparison, you will need to add weight to those boats to produce an equivalently sized wake with similar water displacement. Otherwise it isn't a fair comparison. I can run my G at half ballast and save fuel.

With that all said, it probably does use more gas - just not close to double when you compare apples to apples. This is just based on my personal experience.

Regarding taking water over the back. It will do that if you stop abruptly with full ballast or don't give a little turn. It is easily overcome. Anyone remember the old XStar with PWT ballast, same deal.
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-23-2015, 6:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Not brand loyal just want a boat that fits our needs... It helps that Louisiana has a MC dealer close to us. I don't think I could handle the swells that roll off the back of a centurion.....
HAHAHA .... have fun at the demo this weekend and send me pics
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-25-2015, 9:57 AM Reply   
Yesterday I was able to finally get to test drive an X23. I have read a lot of information about them and seen plenty of videos but being able to experience the boat first hand was even better than expected.

Let me start by saying that I have ridden a G23 and the wakeboard wake was the best I have ever ridden. However I was not impressed with the goofy surf wave. The boat had stock ballast and lacked push. The inside of the G is bigger than the X23 however I do not find that it is comfortable as the seats are a lot harder. The boat sits up pretty high in the water and drives pretty good. The electronics are very similar to the X23. The G is a fantastic boat there is no doubt about that.

Now on to the X23. The layout of the boat is great IMO and it carries the characteristics of a typical MC. The new auto launch on the boat minimizes the boats plaining time where you are on cruise control or not. Also, for its size the boat handles great. Coming from a 2012 I was looking forward to testing the ease of the electronics even though I never really had any issues with them as most have. The water temp was 50 degrees but I used a dry suit. When I finally got to surf I was completely blown away from the goofy surf wave. Every boat always has a great reguIar wake so that was not my interest as my whole family is goofy. I have never ridden a boat with that much push and something that was so clean. I was able to ride about 15ft back from the boat and pretty much be on the brakes the entire time. After riding the surf wave I wake boarded. I must say it's not as big as a G but I was impressed that the wave was this good. It reminded me of a cross between my X45 and an X25. The wake was very peaky and it offered a great deal of pop. It's safe to say that's we were blown away by the X23. MC has something going here.

Overall it's comes down to the dealer for us. There are no Nautique dealers in louisiana and in order to get anything serviced or warrantied I would have to drive 4 hours. We have a great dealer here in Baton Rouge which is only an hour and a half from where I keep the boat and it only 20 minutes from where I live full time. Over these are two great boats and whichever one someone chooses they can't go wrong. Just my thoughts after being able to say I have ridden both. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and the dealer.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-26-2015, 1:26 PM Reply   
All I know is that after reading this, I really want to surf behind an X23.
Old     (MarkMason)      Join Date: Feb 2014       01-28-2015, 7:00 AM Reply   
Does anyone think the X23 is the best surf wake out there? Has anyone slammed an X23 with extra ballast to see what it can really do? I am curious to see how it stacks up when it is sacked out. With my experience with the Gen 2, the more weight you add the better/bigger. I am just curious if anyone has really thrown some bags in this boat yet...
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-28-2015, 5:21 PM Reply   
^ Almost all the demos were done at the MC factory because this boat was released so late in the year, although, there have been several dealer demos on them since then. Problem is, everyone who Demo'd one, and decided to buy one, ordered it. Most of those boats are being built now through May.......

I don't think we will see much info on a sacked out wave until the season starts again in the south.