Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-23-2014, 8:02 PM Reply   
So was doing some truck hunting. Took a 15 Expedition for spin. Thinking about an upgrade. Found out Ford discontinued the V8 engine in the Expeditions. Only offering the twin turbo Eco Boost. As someone who just swapped to his first Ford being a lifelong Chevy guy after 8 Tahoe/Suburban variants I was loving the towing on the Expedition. Just curious on the thoughts of the Eco Boost from those running em.

I know it runs well in the F150 but we are talking little more truck. May be heading back to Chevy .........Fire away
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-23-2014, 9:02 PM Reply   
I've heard gas mileage is pretty bad from everyone i know with an ecoboost f150. It's supposed to tow pretty well for a gas burner though.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-23-2014, 9:02 PM Reply   
I will guarantee it will tow circles around the Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon..... Haven't heard anyone with one in the Expy yet, but there is not a doubt in my mind that it will blow away the 5.4 V8 that was in there and will definitely blow away the 5.3L in the Chev...
For towing purposes anyway...
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       10-23-2014, 9:59 PM Reply   
I've had 2 Eco F150s and I've had a raptor. The Ecoboost is by far the best gasser for towing. Everyone complains about the gas mileage but it gets the same as the chevy or dodge with more torque and without sacrificing power at altitude. Only problem I had with any of mine was a squeaky dash that drove me crazy on my FX4 and problems with the Elocker and off road package on the FX4 as well. the raptor and my lariat ran like champs. No problems. I miss my raptor. Most fun I've ever had owning a truck. (I'm in a '14 Ram 2500 cummins now)
Old     (james)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-24-2014, 7:20 AM Reply   
I currently have a 2012 expedition el with a 5.4 which tows better then my 2007 Suburban did. I have a 2015 Expedition el on order with an ecoboost I cant wait to tow with it. Everything I have heard about the Ecoboost and towing has been positive. I wont have a review for you anytime soon as the dealer tells me the truck wont be in till the new year.
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-24-2014, 7:22 AM Reply   
I work at a Ford dealer and have towed everything I own with a Ecoboost F-150 and have been very impressed. I own a 5.4 Expedition EL and while it gets me where we are going towing it doesn't win any races. The new Expedition with the Ecoboost is awesome. I have not towed anything with one yet, but it feels very similar to the trucks. The Ecoboost trucks tow way better than the 5.4 but get about the same mileage when towing.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-24-2014, 8:52 AM Reply   
My 2010 Flex EB will pull my boat better than my 05 F150 and that has a smaller engine than the larger F150/Expedition. That's also with the actual weight of the trailer and boat being about 1,000 lbs over what I'm truthfully supposed to tow. My wife was at work with our truck and I wanted to drop the boat off at storage. Otherwise I don't tow with my flex. I will agree EB aren't the best on fuel but the torque is great.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-25-2014, 5:14 AM Reply   
How are the Eco's holding up? Have there been any issues with them as they get higher miles?
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-25-2014, 5:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
I will guarantee it will tow circles around the Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon..... Haven't heard anyone with one in the Expy yet, but there is not a doubt in my mind that it will blow away the 5.4 V8 that was in there and will definitely blow away the 5.3L in the Chev...
For towing purposes anyway...
You are comparing the old 5.3L. The '14+ Is redesigned, mor powerful and more fuel efficient. Much better than the old motor.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-25-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
The EB discussion has been beaten to death..the motor is a beast out tows any V8 in the ford line. I also think it tows better than the new 2015 6.2L Chevy motors.
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-27-2014, 11:01 AM Reply   
We have both the 3.5l EB and the new gm 6.2l. The EB is better at elevation I feel for towing above 7k ft. Anything below the 6.2l gm is a gem. Omg does that motor pull. Loaded and unloaded the 6.2 always gets better fuel economy than the 3.5eb. Pulling our boat we get about 9.6 mpg. The 6.2 gets 11.3 mpg. Unloaded the 6.2 is pulling 22-24 mpg and 3.5 is getting steady 18's. I am just blown away at how good this 6.2l is. The eb has the 3.55 rear end and the 6.2 has the 3.73.

I would not be concerned with ford dropping the v8 though. The EB is a solid motor for pulling. It is pretty tough to beat.

Now if looking at a gm Tahoe or suburban I would opt for the 6.2 with the 3.43 rear end. Many are coming with the 3.08 which is garbage for pulling even with 460 hp. The EB will be better than the 5.3l options so the Ford might still be the best option.
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-27-2014, 11:14 AM Reply   
Other than a few intercooler problems on the early F-150 trucks with the Ecoboost they have held up surprisingly well. I work at a failry busy Ford dealer and have only ever had one torn down or replaced. It would say it was due to the fuel he ran through it. He had us drain the fuel when done and it wouldn't even run in a lawn mower LOL.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       11-01-2014, 9:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudelectronics View Post
We have both the 3.5l EB and the new gm 6.2l. The EB is better at elevation I feel for towing above 7k ft. Anything below the 6.2l gm is a gem. Omg does that motor pull. Loaded and unloaded the 6.2 always gets better fuel economy than the 3.5eb. Pulling our boat we get about 9.6 mpg. The 6.2 gets 11.3 mpg. Unloaded the 6.2 is pulling 22-24 mpg and 3.5 is getting steady 18's. I am just blown away at how good this 6.2l is. The eb has the 3.55 rear end and the 6.2 has the 3.73.

I would not be concerned with ford dropping the v8 though. The EB is a solid motor for pulling. It is pretty tough to beat.

Now if looking at a gm Tahoe or suburban I would opt for the 6.2 with the 3.43 rear end. Many are coming with the 3.08 which is garbage for pulling even with 460 hp. The EB will be better than the 5.3l options so the Ford might still be the best option.
the 6.2 does NOT have 460 hp lol
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-02-2014, 5:56 AM Reply   
A 6 has to work harder than an 8 to do the same job. It stands to reason that the 6 will require more maintenance and repair as time goes on . The fact that it dosnt get better fuel mileage and cost more at the start makes me question the EB as a long term puller.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-02-2014, 9:17 AM Reply   
The Eco is very duabale. Ford beat the piss out of it before it was released and it came through with flying colors.

There is no way in hell anyone anywhere is getting 24 mpg or anywhere near it out of the GM 6.2 its rated for 14/20 so average should be 17ish.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-03-2014, 5:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricsx15 View Post
the 6.2 does NOT have 460 hp lol
I think he meant 460 lb/ft of torque, and 420 hp. I'll vouch for the 6.2L. I towed my G23 with it for one summer. From a power perspective, it had no issues. I bumped up to a 2500HD Duramax, as I wasn't all that comfortable pulling that big of a boat down the interstate at 70-75 mph with a 1/2 ton.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       11-03-2014, 5:52 AM Reply   
ECO BOOST cheer club .......
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-06-2014, 6:42 AM Reply   
I bet that 6.2L is going to be sweet once they put the 8 speed behind it! If I were going to go back to a half ton, or buy something like a Tahoe or Sub for my wife, that's the way I'd be going!
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-13-2014, 5:02 AM Reply   
I'm really torn about this in a good way. I am on my second Eco Boost F150, I have nothing but love for the Eco B. I need to trade in on a Expedition to expand my transportation fleet ( I own a transportation Co. ) and also use it as my boat hauler. I have and have had many E350 passenger vans with the 5.4 and hate them for pulling compared to the EB. My problem is…at this time I can only get about 5k off the sticker on a 2015 with the EB at 5.9% or I can get a loaded up 2014 with a 5.4 at just over 10k off the sticker at 1.9%. I am playing hard ball for now on the 2015 and the dealer has one (right color) with everything I want and nothing I don't want.