Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       10-17-2011, 2:58 PM Reply   
the new exile SX65M.. I cant wait to get these mounted up!
Attached Images

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-17-2011, 3:04 PM Reply   
Those replacing the stock RF's in your boat or did you have something else? What is your system now john? 4 SXT towers, 6 sx6 interiors, sub? Amps?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       10-17-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
These will be replacing my polks.

The final build is as follows-

Cabin 6- sx56m powered by 800.4
Tower 4 sxt65 powered by 1000.2
Sub 1 IDQ 12 powered by 1500.1

This system build I did very different. I started with the battery bank then did the charging system. After that I moved to the amps. last but not least I am doing the speakers. the only orignal part to the system is the sub and ported box.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       10-17-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
Hey Brett as a battery man I know you will like this one. This was the first step, and a very painfull one at that. All my skills got put to the test.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...w-playpen-bow/
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-19-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
Those look bad ass! HMMM...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-19-2011, 7:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Those look bad ass! HMMM...
They're nice guy.. I did the swap a few weeks ago.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-20-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
Are these a different speaker then the other Exile coaxials? Do those have the tweeter mounted in the grill so the driver is the full 6.5? Where do the wires for the tweeter go? So new they aren't even on teh Exile website?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-20-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Are these a different speaker then the other Exile coaxials? Do those have the tweeter mounted in the grill so the driver is the full 6.5? Where do the wires for the tweeter go? So new they aren't even on teh Exile website?
These are coaxially mounted separates, the others were coaxials. The wires go on the underside of the grill and terminate on the back side of the speaker.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-20-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
Nice.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-20-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
Yeah I don't know if they are on their website yet but Paul had some at Bakes Marine.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-20-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
What is the benefit to have a speaker mounted tweeter versus a grill mounted tweeter?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-20-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_smith View Post
What is the benefit to have a speaker mounted tweeter versus a grill mounted tweeter?
Doesn't a standard coaxial have a mounting cylinder(that is a techinical term) that goes through the middle of the cone of the driver, thus taking up cone surface area? A tweeter mounted on the grill would allow for the full surface area of the driver giving it a warmer or at least louder output/sound?

I obviously don't know the technical terms but is that along the right lines?

Are there any benefits to have a speaker mounted tweeter liek a standard coaxial? Price?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       10-20-2011, 10:33 AM Reply   
Bill you hit the nail on the head! There is more surface area. More surface area means more sound. For price I think they are the same. Don`t quote me on that I never bought the first version. I have herd both versions on NUBU`s boat and there is a difference.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-20-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Doesn't a standard coaxial have a mounting cylinder(that is a techinical term) that goes through the middle of the cone of the driver, thus taking up cone surface area? A tweeter mounted on the grill would allow for the full surface area of the driver giving it a warmer or at least louder output/sound?

I obviously don't know the technical terms but is that along the right lines?

Are there any benefits to have a speaker mounted tweeter liek a standard coaxial? Price?
+1
Speakers are same price. They have a more ridgid cone area as well from what I saw.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-20-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
driver mounted tweets make it a lot easier to upgrade something like a car door speaker where you want to keep the factory integrated grill.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-20-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
I feel exceptionally lucky I don't have any car doors in my boat then
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-20-2011, 5:16 PM Reply   
Those give me wood.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-23-2011, 6:52 AM Reply   
There are numerous advantages to a grill-mounted tweeter versus a post-mounted tweeter. The tweeter mounting post interrupts the cone creating less cone surface area. In some speakers the voice coil gap is exposed to the elements which wouldn't be good on a tilted transom speaker or in a coastal environment. Many marine speakers are using a butyl rubber surround top side on the cone to seal the voice coil gap off. But that impacts the compliance of the suspension somewhat and you are adding half the weight of the additional surround material to the moving mass of the speaker.
A grill- mounted tweeter with a continuous midbass cone has been used by Wetsounds, Polk UM, JL Audio, Kicker and others for years.
The new Exile coaxial definitely demonstrates more midbass and more lower midrange than the previous model. The tweeter is the same which really was the strong suit of the previous model.

David
Earmark Marine