Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-23-2016, 6:50 AM Reply   
Was wondering what other people did to prolong their season. In late October we get nights into the low 30's and days into the 60's. I have always winterized it as soon as we got freezing temps in the forecast, but is there anything I can do to squeeze a couple more weeks out of the season. I have heard of putting heating pads under the block, garage is out of question as it is to small. I am looking for indoor storage for possibly a month until the water gets to cold to bear, then have it winterized.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-23-2016, 7:03 AM Reply   
If you're power is reliable, you can get a bilge heater. The only risk you run is power being knocked out.

Truthfully, if your daytime temps are in the 60s and nights are in the low 30s, it's not gonna harm your boat. It takes longer than you think at freezing to kill your motor. Remember, the cold needs to penetrate the entire boat, then penetrate the entire engine block in order to do harm. That's not going to happen in 1 or 2 hours of 32° temps. Put a thermometer in the bilge or the boat and you'll see what I mean.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2016, 7:04 AM Reply   
Some people will put a shop light in the engine bay and leave it on over night. Just make sure it's not a new LED one LOL.

And I always heard its takes two or three nights and days at constant below freezing to crack a block. But that's not a risk I'm willing to take so if I here it's going to be below 32 I hop in the back of the boat and let the water out of the block and exhaust manifolds at least. Its only two bolts and a hose fitting, takes 10 mins at the most.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-23-2016, 7:04 AM Reply   
I put a small ceramic heater in the rear locker and remove the engine divider on one side so everything stays toasty.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-23-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
a drop light will do it ..just make sure to lay it on a couple bricks or something that wont burn/melt
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-23-2016, 10:25 AM Reply   
yep, takes a lot longer to freeze your block than a few hours at low temps. somebody put temp sensors several places around the boat including engine bay. thats been a loooong time ago, doubt it will show up on search

heating blanket, shop lights, christmas lights, block heaters all work.

A quick drain system is worth its weight in gold on chilly nights for peace of mine.
Old     (Spotless)      Join Date: May 2016       08-23-2016, 12:49 PM Reply   
NOTE that if you have an optional heater in your boat, the heater core will be the first to freeze and bust. Its made up of very thin aluminum tubing.