Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CenCalLakes)      Join Date: May 2014       09-09-2016, 7:46 PM Reply   
As the end of summer is upon us the days are shorter and I am looking to add some rear facing lights on my Silverado to help with loading the boat on the trailer as well as being able to see well to clean it up after a day on the lake. I have a 2009 Silverado but I am just interested to see and hear ideas of what others do or want to do on any vehicle.

I have an inboard direct drive closed bow as well and just use an extended pylon for wakeboarding. so I don't have a tower to instal lights on to improve visibility at night on the water or be able to turn on in the parking lot to help see in the boat when cleaning stuff up after the day. I am wanting to maybe install something on the windscreen or to the sides of the windscreen if small enough to mount on the gunwale, that I could use to help with visibility on the water, help see when docking, loading on there trailer as well as swivel to the rear to light up the inside when cleaning up.

Totally open to all ideas and insight to the installation, manufacture and types of lights.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-10-2016, 5:57 AM Reply   
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J5...3wL&ref=plSrch

I've got skme of these mounted on my Polaris and they are great. U can flush mount em in your bumper too. Lots of good cheap LEDs on Amazon...
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       09-10-2016, 8:10 AM Reply   
i bought cubes from amazon similar to the ones above, but without the in bumper mounting option. i put a pair on the back of my land cruiser and my sons bronco. they have been surprisingly useful. i bought bulk wire from home depot and bought some custom switches from https://otrattw.net . i used waterproof hella brand relays as well.

funny story, my son was driving and had accidentally turned on his rear lights. he got pulled over and got a warning. the officer was more interested in where he got the lights as he wanted some for his truck.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-10-2016, 8:12 AM Reply   
LED docking lights are great for a dark boat ramp and loading. The factory ones on my Axis are incredibly bright and have a very wide range. Easily lights up the shore 150ft away. White LED light strips mounted under the entire length of the trailer give enough glow for me to wipe down the boat in complete darkness. I think a rear facing truck mounted LED light will blind you trying to load the boat.
Old     (CenCalLakes)      Join Date: May 2014       09-10-2016, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShredSAN View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J5...3wL&ref=plSrch

I've got skme of these mounted on my Polaris and they are great. U can flush mount em in your bumper too. Lots of good cheap LEDs on Amazon...

....these would look pretty clean in the bumper will probably go that route and I am thinking of these for the boat just need to find and best spot to mount them on the boat. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019Y...wDL&ref=plSrch

I think it would be pretty cool to have a windshield mounted mirror that has a LED light bar built into it facing forward for docking.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-10-2016, 6:34 PM Reply   
Jon I just put a set of those in white on the front of our pontoon. Haven't used them on the lake yet but in the yard they are bright. One of these days I will actually use them.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       09-12-2016, 6:01 AM Reply   
Anything you mount on the truck needs to be as low as possible, otherwise you'll blind the hell out of yourself or anyone who's trying to load the boat. I learned that lesson the hard way. I had an 05 Silverado Z71 with 2 660 lumen lights mounted down by my hitch, and then 4 of them mounted up on the cab, all facing rearward. My wife hated them but they lit up EVERYTHING at the ramp. Ended up blinding myself trying to load late one night and came in a little crooked, ended up hitting one of my bunks with the tracking fins and broke the bunk in half. I decided to ditch the cab lights and just run the 2 under the bumper, and they were plenty to see the trailer in the water and light up everything once it was out so I cold wipe it all down.

If I were to do it again, I'd just get some of those small LED pods and mount them on the corners of the rear bumper and call it a day.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-12-2016, 7:22 AM Reply   
You would be really surprised how LED's mounted to the trailer help loading the boat at night and cleaning up. I use mine to load the boat and wiping it down in the parking lot. When I get home I turn them back on to help me see when I'm putting the cover on. It only like a 40.00 to 60.00$ project.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794995

I have mine mounted under the frame so they don't show up as well in the water as mounted to the inside of the frame but it still lights up the water pretty good.

Ryan K is right rear facing lights will blind you if they are mounted to high.