Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-17-2019, 11:25 AM Reply   
And here I was thinking that the whole point of autowake was that you didn’t have to be “well versed” to run it, and that it was fool proof. Wasn’t that the point?

And I’m guessing that you guys are not aware that Skiers Choice does NOT own autowake. They didn’t invent it. They didn’t design it. They didn’t patent it. It was designed and patented by a completely independent firm called, Wake Touch LLC. The system is on the open market for all OEMs to buy, and has been ever since they designed it.

They have some patents for incorporating the system into a boat with dual actuated tabs, because autowake had to add the functionality into the system for flow 3. But, besides that, Wake Touch LLC owns the patents, and assigns them to Skiers Choice. They are still publically marketing the system to other OEMs.

So.... there you go.

Skiers choice did trademark the name “AutoWake”, so any other OEM using the system would have to call it something else.

Last edited by Fixable; 02-17-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       02-17-2019, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
And here I was thinking that the whole point of autowake was that you didn’t have to be “well versed” to run it, and that it was fool proof. Wasn’t that the point?

What I meant was, you have to know enough to know not to screw with it all the time and try to second guess the system. You also have to have things calibrated properly out of the gate, or you’re in the “garbage in, garbage out” scenario with the computers/sensors that run it.

I was told they licensed the technology, maybe I was misinformed. As far as who owns the patent, idk. I’ve seen the system work, and work really well. that’s all I know

Last edited by Matt0520; 02-17-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-17-2019, 12:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
Jesus. What I meant was, you have to know enough to know not to screw with it all the time and try to second guess the system. You also have to have things calibrated properly out of the gate, or you’re in the “garbage in, garbage out” scenario with the computers/sensors that run it.

I was told they licensed the technology, maybe I was misinformed. As far as who owns the patent, idgaf. I’ve seen the system work, and work really well. that’s all I know

I would also say that Fixable, in assuming it’s a surf button for idiots, has a fundamental mis-impression of what it’s for. You have to know how to use it, well......to use it.

I will ask my buddy inside SC what the IP arrangement is. Out of curiosity.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-17-2019, 12:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post

And I’m guessing that you guys are not aware that Skiers Choice does NOT own autowake. They didn’t invent it. They didn’t design it. They didn’t patent it. It was designed and patented by a completely independent firm called, Wake Touch LLC. The system is on the open market for all OEMs to buy, and has been ever since they designed it.

They have some patents for incorporating the system into a boat with dual actuated tabs, because autowake had to add the functionality into the system for flow 3. But, besides that, Wake Touch LLC owns the patents, and assigns them to Skiers Choice. They are still publically marketing the system to other OEMs.

So.... there you go.

Skiers choice did trademark the name “AutoWake”, so any other OEM using the system would have to call it something else.

Well tattoo me surprised. I was aware of all that you mention, to your obvious utter amazement I am sure, except that impression given was that the technology is exclusive to SC and is not on the open market. The creator spoke of all of this on the TO forum leading up to the “sale” to Skiers Choice.

If it is indeed not exclusive, first that’s a big surprise, and second that’s not how it was all described way back when when Waketouch LLC designed the system.