Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-17-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
Anyone have any comments on the 2001 TIGE' 2100V LIMITED

Is it any good for Wakeboarding? Seems to have a low freeboard.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-17-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
Check Tigeowners.com you will get some good info there. Not any Bias.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-17-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
Well - no - you are actually more likely to get an unbiased report from a place like this.

Though perhaps ajholt is attempting to prevent you from becoming embroiled in a war. Tige threads create battles here and on other sites. It's by far, wrong or right, and based on their old boats or new ones, the most contentious brand. That much is a fact. Whether or not the contention is fair can't be proven as a fact. Only a big ol class action law suit will give you that, and there isn't one.

Anyway - there are a lot of boats that are good for wakeboarding that have low freeboard.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-17-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
I am just saying that there are alot of people who will chime in about the Tige based on what other people have said, without ever actually being in the boat. On tigeowners you will find some info from someone who has actually been in that model and will give you there honest opinion.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-17-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
Erik,

I totally 110% disagree with you. The first thing people do on this forum will bash Tige to the end of the world. Do a search and you will see what I am talking about.

Examples: "TAPS plate is making up for poor hull design", "Tige doesn't need ballast", "The RZ2 is a X-Star wannabe", ... We can go on and on with that.

There are many other brand boat owners on Tigeowners (Malibu, MC, CC, Supra, and Centurian owners) as well as professionals that provide expertise on various stuff like stereo equipment, engine maintenance, ...

"there are a lot of boats that are good for wakeboarding that have low freeboard" = very true. $.02
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-17-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
I should have been more clear on the freeboard statement. It appears to have a low freeboard, which may not affect the wake at all, but just seems like at any moment could be rolled over by a decent wave from another boat. I'd hate to buy the thing only to have another boats wake turn the floor of the boat into a thousand gallon ballast :-)

BTW, I don't know anything about Tige. Based on what I'm reading it sound like it's a pretty polarizing brand. I'm fine with that too.

I just want to make sure it's not a piece of junk or a boat that won't throw a wake because it's too setup for skiing.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-17-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
I think most people on this board have become fans of what Tige is doing now a days. I think what got Tige in trouble with so many people on this site is that Tige and their owners wouldn't shut up about how their boats don't need ballast because the Taps plate actually acts as ballast and make the wake bigger. It seems now even most Tige owners will tell you that if you want a better than beginner/intermediate wake you need to add ballast. They finally figured it out but their still are some Tige dealers who tell potential customers that they don't need ballast and that is just not true.

As for the comarison to the Xstar I haven't seen someone say that on here in a long time. It happened right away but not so much anymore.

I don't have any direct experience with the 21v but I have heard that because of the spray pockets it doesn't have the best wakeboard wake. I would guess with 1000# of extra ballast it would throw a good enough wake for 90% of wakeboarders. When it came out it was a big, good family boat. It has a wide beam and lots of room. I have heard the vinyl was sub par in that era. I have also heard that with the 315hp Merc they were kind of sluggish out of the hole although the taps plate can help get it on plane quicker.

I would think a Tige 21v would be a great starter , family vdrive. I wouldn't pay over 20k for one unless they have added PP, ballast, changed the original tower and the boat is in mint condition.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-17-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
I have a 99 21V riders and couldn't be happier with it. It, and a friend's 01 X Star are my primary boats. We've only loaded mine down once with about 1500 lbs, and the wake was awesome. Everybody who rode it loved it. It is wide, with a middle of the road transition (between nautique and MC) and develops a nice lip when you pull the TAPS up. I agree TAPS is not a substitute for ballast, but it sure helps you get on plane a lot faster and you can see a huge difference in the wake when you have it up, or down. Wakeboard wake is also very wide, but (at least for me) doesn't take a lot of weight to make it nice. And with the lockers being so huge, you can easily throw some sacs in the back and have plenty of room left for the rest of your gear.
Throws a great surf wake with minimal weight (500 in the port locker + a few bodies), and if you have enough people in the boat, can easily surf w/o ballast at all.
The low Freeboard wasn't a concern of ours when we purchased ours, and have never had an issue with it, including rolling over 3-4' rollers with 10 people onboard. Never taken anything over the side.
The original tower is a bit shakey, but doesn't have any issues beyond the shake that I know of. It does get a little annoying sometimes, but I've never seen one break, so I'm not worried about it.
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-17-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
^^ something wrong with the origional tower (other than it's ugly)
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-17-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
^^ shaky huh? can you feel it move, or just hear it?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-17-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
Darin C,

That original tower does break, and has often. Check under the pads to make sure the welds have not yet cracked.

I used to own a 2002, which has the same hull. It makes a great wakeboarding wake and a huge surf wake, probably one of the best surfers you can get. When you get over 1500 pounds there is a lot of bashing over a small lip that forms on top of the wake. It is purely cosmetic and still has the same boot, so don't listen to them. If a 1.5 inch foam lip on the very top of the wake affects your wakeboarding, it isn't the wake. Maybe if your lake does not have 1.5 inch chop from the breeze, then it might be noticeable to you. If the lip is bigger than that, then you do not have it weighted properly.
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-17-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
^^is it easy to fix or replace the tower if broken?
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-17-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
I will second brett's comment the 2100V still has spray pockets which tended to make the top of the wake mushy or rolled over. Great surf wake and the free board was never really an issue in the one I was Playing with. Original tower broke but metcraft fixed it for free
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-17-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
Agh. Ok. David - how could you claim to disagree with me 110% yet agree with 1/3rd of my points. My points were that people here on WakeWorld have wide exposure to a wide range of boats. Tige has emerged as by far the most contentious brand. Close second? I can't think of one. If you think this site has developed a bias, then look elsewhere and you'll see that same bias. Look on tigeowners.com, and you won't see the same bias you'll see a reversal. So does that mean the bias lies here, wakeboarder.com, etc or among the tigeowner.com community? How about everywhere with this brand. It's a contentious brand.

I'd argue that there is a bias on BOTH sides.

I feel like with all this, I've ignored the posters original request. Ok so, no actually I don't think the 21ft Tige boats in that year range were very good, and this is based on hands on experience. It's not the low freeboard causing the problem. Its the water flow from the sun deck, some of the gelcoat work and if the boat has the Merc powerplant... the resulting electrical issues. Tige boats got better, later. Their first forays were rocky and I would not advise a friend to buy one. But a 2010 Black RZ4? Hot boat.
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-17-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
^^ can you provide more information on the electrical issues?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-17-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
Nick, I have owned a 2001 23V. Same boat, same engine, same tower. Just two feet longer.

The tower is most likely going to have issues. Most owners with this year/model did. My tower cracked at the welds. This was a Metcraft tower, not a Tige tower.

What talltigeguy said about the wake is spot on.

Vinyl tearing at the seams was an issue near the rear seat.

Freeboard was never an issue. Like most ski boats they all sit low like that in the water. That year freeboard was no different that any other manufacturer that same year.

I never had an issue with my Mercruiser engine as well as the electrical. I also havent heard of that being a common complaint.

As far as Erik's comments, pay no attention. He has always chimed in about his disdain towards Tigé especially on Wakeboarder.com.

(Message edited by Pierce Bronkite on September 17, 2009)
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-17-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
I have the exact boat you are asking about. I bought it new. First I will tell (and probably already noticed) you will hear all sorts of stuff. Mainly listen to the people who actually own/owned one.

The original tower is prone to cracking (look under the pads) however, once my tower was beefed up, it has been solid as a rock for years now.

The tower may be the ugliest tower ever put on a boat from the factory, BUT the board racks ARE the easiest to use. Just throw your boards up there, I don't even strap them down!

The vinyl was for crap, I have replaced the skins 3 times (Tige did provide skins the first 2 times)

The wake is fine, pockets are not a problem. The wake is Malibu-ish in shape, but not as beefy. You may want extra weight or people if you are intermediate or higher.

TAPS is awesome! Not because it makes the wake bigger, but because you can adjust the white wash out and have a clean lip everytime.

Never any electrical issues.

Would I buy another Tige? yes

Would I consider another brand? yes
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-17-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
^^ Would you shy away from this boat because of the negatives you list, or do you feel they are just typical use boat issues?

The two that concern me most are the tower issues and the electrical issues. Both could cost thousands.
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-17-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
Great response Greg. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-17-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
"The two that concern me most are the tower issues and the electrical issues. Both could cost thousands."

The tower cost me about $85 to have reinforced. The weak areas are under the pads, so once it is fixed, the pads hide the repair.

As I said before, no electrical issues.

The thing I like best about the boat (besides Perfect Pass) is the TAPS. If the boat is fully loaded for an expert rider @ 23 mph, then my next rider is a 14 year old beginner and rides @ 16 mph, I can adjust the foam out with one button. Try rhat on other boats. The Malibu Power Wedge is nice also.

The thing I like the least is the vinyl.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-17-2009, 3:58 PM Reply   
Greg -
how did you do your repairs? You've got me a bit nervous to pull the pads off this fall and take a closer look at everything again. Was it merely clean things up and weld again, or was there reinforcement put in? Reason I ask so much is we do quite a bit of welding ourselves and wondering if it's something we can do at our shop.

Can you take a photo of the repair and mail it to me?

Otherwise - agree with the wake, wish we had PP, and personally, I don't mind the vinyl. you'll hear people gripe about having cup holders on the floor, but I've never found this to be an issue for anyone, personally, it's easier to get items in and out of than if they're in a cubby built into the side of the boat.

We also have not had any electrical issues.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-17-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
Darin-

My tower is 5 pieces, top and 2sides and the 2 front legs. Basically where the top and sides are bolted together is now welded. Make sure you are confident with your aluminum welding talents. I do some welding also, but I have no experience welding aluminum.

I will take pictures of the repairs and post them.

cup holders- I would rather have drinks spilling next to the floor rather than elsewhere.
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-17-2009, 8:45 PM Reply   
I had a 2000 21V like Gregs.

He is right about everything. The tower thats on it wobbled on my boat and didnt seem too strong but never had cracks in it. The interior is spacious but like he also said the vinyl is terrible, poor design and material.

We always filled up a sack in the floor of the back between the seats and it had a nice wake. It was never huge or anything but decent shape. It looks similar to a supra wake in my opinion. I never had over 2000 lbs of ballast and people in the boat so I really dont know what it could have done that way.

Ours was a good boat though. Oh also, our taps system had something wrong with the hydrolic cylinders and wouldn't go up over 5.

We kept our boat for about 3 years and really had no major issues other than the water pump.