Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2014, 8:17 PM Reply   
Any one ever upgrade their UFLEX rotary steering system to the rack and pinion style system? It is time for the steering cable to be replaced again and I was never really happy with how easy it was to turn the wheel even with the new cable in the UFLEX system. It wasn't 1 finger steering like the newer boats.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-05-2014, 8:37 PM Reply   
I had to replace the tilt helm and steering cable on my 99 star this year. I considered switching to a rack and pinion, but the guys at ski dim didn't recommend it. The impression I got was that they see less problems with the old style rotary system. After I installed the new tilt helm and the new cable, and greased all the stuff that hadn't been greased in years, the steering improved dramatically.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-06-2014, 2:54 AM Reply   
I've replaced rotary on R&P steering few years ago and I have no any issues with it. At least I feel less idle gap at steering wheel and I still 1 finger steering after more than 500 hours. This system means not separate cable but the price is reasonable as for parts as for full system. My opinion.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-06-2014, 3:54 PM Reply   
Check your rudder for slop and grease it. A sloppy rudde/port will get harder to turn at speed. No grease doesn't help matters and will let it wear faster to get that slop. I would not change to rack and pinion... Extra hassle and work for what I feel is no gain, and if the rudder is worn you may have the same stiff steering.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-06-2014, 8:19 PM Reply   
I totally agree. Had I greased my rudder (which I hadn't done for 8 years) prior to installing the new steering cable, something tells me I wouldn't have thought I needed a new steering cable.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-07-2014, 7:01 PM Reply   
I will have to check my rudder, it has been a while since I have greased it. I thought I remember reading steering cables only last 8-10 years before needing replacement. I replaced mine in '07 when I first got the boat.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-11-2014, 7:12 PM Reply   
I have a 90 Sanger DX and put rack and pinion in it...1 finger smooth easy steering that anyone can drive even with a fat guy on the boom. Its got a 350hp stroker so easy steering is important

Last edited by bftskir; 10-11-2014 at 7:14 PM.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-08-2015, 4:57 PM Reply   
Well, I got the new rack and pinion installed. WOW, it turns like a dream and has to be as good as a brand new boat. One finger turning and I can throw the wheel lock to lock while going slow. I had to buy the tilt helm and tilt assembly at a cost of around $200 extra, over just buying a new cable for the rotary style that the boat had originally. Got them both on Ebay and saved a little. I can post a pic but there is not a lot to see. I did have to mount the rack at a 45 degree angle, because where the cable comes out of the rack it did not have enough room to allow the cable to make the 90 degree turn towards the bow. It is still tucked up in the dash and not even close to taking up any leg room.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-10-2015, 1:23 PM Reply   
Rack and pinion beats rotary for inboard use