Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Mrmcx10)      Join Date: Aug 2020       06-27-2022, 11:19 AM Reply   
Hi all, mostly lurker here but recently wanting to upgrade from our 2005 Mastercraft X10. We didn't grow up boating so the X10 was our first boat. We've had it a few years now, have fallen in love with spending time on the water with family and friends, and now that we know a bit more about it and what we'd actually want out of a boat, are considering upgrading to something that better fits our needs.

Can you help me narrow down the search for a used boat in the $100-120k range? Very loose budget, could be more or less if necessary.

Major things I'd like to improve upon from the X10:

- Space. We are almost always with another family of four, so 8 people minimum, sometimes 10. With that many people, the X10 just gets super cramped.

- Surfing quality and convenience: We have a ton of extra ballast in the X10 and it puts out a pretty decent surf wake but it's a royal PITA to set up and take-down (three manual-filled bags plus integrated onboard bags plus attaching wakeshaper). My goal for a new boat would be that we don't have to fill bags manually or attach a wakeshaper, that the conversion to surfing would be a lot faster and more or less push-button, and that the wave itself would have more push.

Here's how we generally use the boat:

The kids are young so we do a lot of tubing but I think they will move more toward wakeboarding or surfing in the future. The adults do a fair amount of wakeboarding and wake surfing, but the focus is shifting more to surfing and we would do a lot more of it if it were more convenient to set up. We do some good old fashioned sunset-cruising and just tooling around. We explore mountain lakes a lot and just beach the boat on the sand, and wouldn't want to lose that ability.

What we're considering / have looked at:

I think we're in the 23' zone, and have looked at the ~23' Mastercrafts, Malibus, and Natiques, and all of them would probably work fine, but they all seem way too nice for us amateurs (haha). Not against buying one if it's the right fit, just seems like we ought to consider some other options. If we did buy one of those brands, I'm guessing it would be in the 2015-2018 range, and I'm wondering what you lose in that generation of boats over something newer (and whether or not they have the push-button capability and wave quality we're looking for). Certainly open to other recommendations as well.

Thanks for the read, and look forward to seeing responses!
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-12-2022, 3:21 AM Reply   
Most manufacturer's are catering to the push button surf market these days so almost any 23' should do the trick. I'm not into surfing so I can't give any real world feedback. I'd say go on only inboards.com, see what's in your price range, see what style you like best, and narrow in on those. All these boats are running the same engines (with the exception of the ones that get the Raptors) so it's just based on who marinized them, and what boat manufacturer you prefer, which they all have their pros and cons, some more than others. You really got to get in them and get behind the wheel and see what you like.

Side question - will you be selling your X-10? If so where are you located, I may be interested.