Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (djsauer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       07-06-2015, 12:33 PM Reply   
Okay so I realize this quality isn't the greatest and you can't see the whole edge from outside the wake (that's what happens when you tell your girlfriend to film without showing her what to do).

I used to be able to land this trick, but as I'm just getting back in to riding now that I'm done with school, I'm trying to get this trick back. I probably did this and landed like that 15 times over the weekend.

Everybody talks about spotting the landing and I could never see the landing to save my life. Well, I saw a picture of myself upside down and my eyes were closed LOL. So then I started focusing on keeping my eyes open (which helped).

But, here's where I'm at now. I get to about 3/4 of the rotation and 1 of 2 things happen.
1. I let go of the rope and land the trick perfectly without the handle in my hand (like this video).
2. I feel like the rope will be yanked out of my hand or it will spin me almost backside and completely catch an edge.

Honestly, it could be as simple as just holding on to the handle the whole way, but I tried that a couple times and caught a few hard edges.

So any recommendations would be great!
Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-06-2015, 1:42 PM Reply   
I actually had a similar problem when throwing the Mexican back roll at first. (The one your doing is called a Mexican Backroll, then there is a regular backroll where you open your front shoulder rather than throwing your shoulders down and underflipping)

What I did to correct this was when you load the line and ride up the wake, try not to throw your top half of your body down so much towards the boat. Try to roll your body parallel to the boat which will reduce the line tension.....

Hard to tell you what I mean without a video.....

In this video I throw one at 1:04 minutes in.....

At 1:12 minutes in my buddy does a regular backroll....it you want to compare.
Old     (djsauer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       07-07-2015, 4:27 AM Reply   
Yeah man I think I kind of understand what you're saying. I'll definitely try and keep a focus on that next time.

Thanks!
Old     (Csbball)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-08-2015, 9:30 PM Reply   
Hey Dane
The backroll will give you a tug, I would bet that is where you feel the rope wanting to rip out of your hands.
I always hang on with 2 hands and when I feel the tug I just give a little tug back and always land perfect.
Your flip looked great, just have to hang on.
I'll put up a video if I can find one.
Old     (djsauer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       07-09-2015, 4:23 PM Reply   
Awesome Chris, thanks for the reply. I will certainly give that a shot!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-24-2017, 3:50 PM Reply   
The backroll will throw you. you don't throw it. Come to the wake, weight on your back foot look - up over your leading shoulder and a little behind you- this keeps you edging all the way through the top of the wake. YOU WILL GET THROWN! now, hold your positions and spot your landing- you'll go big and it's so fun!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-24-2017, 8:44 PM Reply   
You're letting your hands get away from you, in that video when you come down and are about to absorb the landing your hands are pretty much over head and extended. Need to keep the handle in your mid section. If your hands are getting pulled away (although it doesn't look like it in the video, looks more like you move them trying to force the rotation) you need to edge more progressively.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-24-2017, 9:34 PM Reply   
Was going to say the same thing as Jeffrey above, you're letting the handle get up and away from you. Keep the handle down around your stomach and it will help you hold onto the handle as you come around. Good luck!