Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-23-2014, 6:07 AM Reply   
http://legcon.nmma.org/lib/docs/nmma..._Flotation.pdf

This may be helpful to anyone curious about foam requirements from NMMA
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-23-2014, 6:16 AM Reply   
looks to me that inboards over 20' do not require it, HA
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-23-2014, 6:28 AM Reply   
I was actually surprised at some of the info Drew! It was a good read.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
Interesting thread... Not trying to add to the war but I just happen to have a 2013 XStar cut right down the middle for you guys to see where there is and isn't foam and see kinda how the stringer system is laid out. Actually pretty cool to see regardless of which brand you prefer. The only problem is I am not allowed to post pics anymore.. lol

I'll see if i can find a buddy to help a brotha out..
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-23-2014, 8:28 AM Reply   
First post, but I just happen to have been at tx mc last weekend...
Attached Images

Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2014, 8:35 AM Reply   
It's our first MasterCraft under $100,000 this year.. lol
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-23-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
You guys sure go the extra mile to cut prices.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2014, 8:39 AM Reply   
We were planning to hang it on the wall of our new showroom but didn't realize how big the thing was. We have the other half too if anyone is in the market for one. ha
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-23-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
Where's the pics? And why did this thing get cut in half I am wondering? Was this a boat that had hours on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-23-2014, 8:50 AM Reply   
Some "people" need to stick with their I/Os
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2014, 8:54 AM Reply   
This was the original surf expo boat. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a production boat and instead of destroying it we bought it. Kinda cool. The wrap on it has everyone's name that has ever had anything to do with XStar at MC since the first boat. You'll see it has the bolster style seats that they ended up not doing.

By the way, i wasn't trying to get off topic but since everyone was talking about foam i thought this would be a good example to see.

And, for the guy trying to beat everyone up with the Malibu... Sorry sir, but Malibu is hollow my friend. No offense. And that MXZ that you own happens to be a pickle fork that Malibu dogged on for years. I'm pretty sure the 2003 XStar was the first towboat with forks. Like everyone is saying. Everyone uses ideas from other brands. It makes sense. If people like it, then build it.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-23-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
Sold. I only need that side of the wake anyways.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2014, 8:57 AM Reply   
At least you'll have tower speakers!
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-23-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
Ask and you shall receive!
Attached Images

Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-23-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
I recently cut a cooler and a hydroslide in half and they are built this same way.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2014, 9:12 AM Reply   
Not cheerleading, but notice the cross grid stringer system with liner. It's kind of a stringer within a stringer system that has the liner laminated to the hull which nobody else uses (that i'm aware of). Every place that you laminate to the hull increases rigidity and also allows for the below the floor storage and such. The stringer system and void areas are foam filled as seen in the photos. Adds buoyancy and noise reduction. Makes for a much quieter and solid ride compared to hollow, non-foam methods.
I'm sure that will start but I'll defend my words by adding.... "IN MY OPINON"
Maybe i did cheerlead a bit...

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Kind of shows you that it costs more to build and MC... That liner is a 3rd mold required for each model.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-23-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
Half of the Xstar could still pull more tail than a Tige - Jetranger.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
I see what you did there. bwahaha
Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-23-2014, 10:12 AM Reply   
Oh no Mastercraft has copied Axis with their cutoff windshield!
I hope y'all have a great boat show!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-23-2014, 10:36 AM Reply   
Still costs more than my Axis
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-23-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtxmc View Post
We were planning to hang it on the wall of our new showroom but didn't realize how big the thing was. We have the other half too if anyone is in the market for one. ha
It's the same length and half as wide as the other xstars, what were you expecting
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
I guess we mis-eyeballed it
Old    rullery            01-23-2014, 12:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Still costs more than my Axis
Sobering thought of the day. To think a budget wake boat costs as much as half of an XStar is crazy enough, but to see an XStar literally sawed in half really makes you wonder what you are actually paying for with these things
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-23-2014, 12:38 PM Reply   
Wasn't this the same boat (#1) that was released at expo and then they went back to the drawing board becuase they had a few problems? This is not MC bashing, just wondering because if that's the case it would make complete sense why they wouldn't care sawing it in half haha
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-23-2014, 12:45 PM Reply   
So thats the amount of foam thats gonna keep this boat from sinking less fast than a comparable size MB? BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHH foam what a joke that is!!! Hey Craig you sell both can you do a sink test and tell us which one goes down the fastest. Not sure how you sell any of those death traps!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-23-2014, 12:53 PM Reply   
I would want my boat to sink as quickly as possible
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2014, 1:25 PM Reply   
Tampa, i never said it would "sink less fast"

Cut any other boat in half and see if you don't reconsider.

Sir, the foam is not there to keep you from sinking. We all know that's impossible under certain circumstances. It's there to HELP your boat be more buoyant. If you aren't willing to conceed that a boat with cross grid stringers and floors filled with foam aren't more buoyant then I don't know what else i can say. Probably nothing I guess. Do you at least agree that you get a better ride and quieter ride with such construction?
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2014, 1:26 PM Reply   
By the way, great looking MB's Birmingham! I like the colors.
Old     (wakemaker1)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-23-2014, 1:36 PM Reply   
After seeing that boat cut in half makes you wonder where the $100,000 worth of material is ????
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-23-2014, 1:42 PM Reply   
I'll be the first to admit I'm not the smartest guy on here. I'll also say that other than noise dampening I don't know that foam is incredibly relevant in boats or even necessary, but I will say that if you took the same exact boat and filled one with foam and one without, I firmly believe one would "sink less fast". Why wouldn't the one filled with foam float for slightly longer than the one without? To me that's common sense regardless of functionality or neccesity. For the mom or recreational boater that may be overly concerned with safety (most of us grew up around boats, were confident in our abilities, others are not) I could see that being a great peace of mind. I attached this link earlier and I don't think too many people read it. Take some time to read this you may be surprised.

http://legcon.nmma.org/lib/docs/nmma..._Flotation.pdf

Do I care about foam in my boat? No I do not, but I do believe it does serve a purpose contrary to popular belief.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-23-2014, 1:46 PM Reply   
Oh and why would you need a boat to "sink less fast"? God forbid, but what if some drunk jet skier or boater smacks into your boat and you take on water? How many people have launched without drain plugs? Many of you have kids right? Would you feel more confident in your boat if you knew if would take an additional 5 minutes to sink versus a boat without foam? Maybe that extra 5 minutes would give someone time to get their kids to safety, or remove important product from the boat, or possibly even salvage it the boat by having a few more minutes to tow it or drive it quickly to shallow water/beach. Try to keep an open mind people just because you or I don't believe foam is necessary doesn't mean were right.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2014, 1:58 PM Reply   
Fellas, I'm by no means trying to sell foam stock on here. It's just a process that improves your buoyancy. Hopefully none of us ever have to find out which one "sinks less fast"
It's funny how hard it is for some to admit that certain construction processes make a boat better built or quieter, etc... It makes me laugh. I can appreciate the passion though..

Do they have threads where guys get pissed when someone says their Camry doesn't have as good of components and construction processes as a Lexus? Do they say the Lexus is just jackin up the prices? Doesn't matter if the doors don't close the same... Doesn't matter if the door panels don't stay in place as well..... that kind of stuff? ha
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-23-2014, 3:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
Half of the Xstar could still pull more tail than a Tige - Jetranger.

Pretty standard...
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-23-2014, 6:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
Pretty standard...
We demand a witty comment. Mine was lame compared to you epic replies.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-23-2014, 7:44 PM Reply   
I'm wondering 2 things.... Why does MC cost so much more than everyone else? I'm not really seeing it.... And second why THE F%$& do we have sacs every where and under the seats with all that gaping space below deck.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-23-2014, 8:06 PM Reply   
Craig was not pointed at you was making fun of all the people making a HUGE deal about MB not having foam. How horribly dangerous it is. How many drive their boats with the stupid safety lanyard on their wrists. I know you sell a hell out of both brands. So the idea of a sink contest was a joke more at those folk but something you could easily facilitate. Sorry for the confusion. The foam for safety reasons is useless and unless there is proof that it will keep a boat afloat longer than one with out is just a guess.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-23-2014, 8:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
We demand a witty comment. Mine was lame compared to you epic replies.

A little poem then?

Mastercraft: Tuna Tug

With vinyl and flake
So much billet at the lake
Badged with a brilliant "X"
The owner so proud
And a stereo so loud
Gets the notice of the opposite sex
Like dogs at the pound
Girls howl at the sound
Made by the Ilmor's mighty roar
The styling so fresh
Creates an abundance of flesh
Sexiness visible from shore
JL's pounding so hard
Girls brought to the yard
All with a world class wave
The mere sight of a ZFT-4
Turns a good girl to a whore
Makes 'em all want to misbehave
But if this wasn't enough
There is a ton of other cool stuff
That comes from the factory too
So have a small wang?
Need help getting tang?
Then Mastercraft is the boat for you
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-24-2014, 6:07 AM Reply   
Tampa, no worries. Our boat show starts in a week, I have a 4 month old (plus 4 others) who keeps me up all freakin night, and my foam is getting dogged. So my stress levels are high. Please forgive my rants my friend. Ha

I'll tell it like this. I've been told by people in the know that NMMA basically only require 20 foot and under not to sink. Larger ones can sink like a rock as long as they have grab handles and all that crap.

And thanks for the poem Jet!
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-24-2014, 6:09 AM Reply   
Roses are red, violets are blue...
Enjoy your MasterCraft and stay the heck away from Malibu
Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-24-2014, 6:22 AM Reply   
Hi Craig, Be sure and post photos from your boat show!

We usually go to the Nashville show every year to check out the new stuff but our show was earlier this year, I think Nashville is going on now.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-24-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
Jet, jet, he's a poet.
He sank a Tige and didn't know it.

Supra, Momba, Ski Antique.
Those are brands he shall not speak.

Gecko, Axis, and Maliboo.
Forget it boys, they simply will not do.

Supreme, Centurion, and Calabria
Those brands give him diarrhea.

While Wedges and Surfgates may work for you...
Jet knows what's up with the new Gen 2.

A brand lacking foam presents a danger...
Y'all give it up for my homeboy JetRanger.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-24-2014, 6:46 AM Reply   
^^^

Brand for brand all the same
Except for Tige, which has no game
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-24-2014, 6:55 AM Reply   
Every boat under 20 ft is required to have positive flotation foam. What that means, is that with NO people in the boat, no gas, no batteries, just hull and motor, and foam that is in good condition, not waterlogged, it must float itself if you open all the drains(let the water out). So, as a quick answer, any boat produced in the last few years, under 20 ft. I am unsure of when this was put into law, but know it has been for a while.

Aluminum boats are not required to be in compliance with this law.

To add, there are some boats, boston whaler being one, that go beyond, and have enough foam in the boat, to float the capacity rating in people and weight while still floating.

If you want a boat that will not sink get a Boston Whaler or Carolina Skiff - and oh by the way check the prices on those
Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-24-2014, 8:34 AM Reply   
Whaler used to drive around a little 13' or 15' boat that was cut in half at the Miamai Boat show to prove their flotation, I haven't been in a few years but I'm guessing they still drive around at that show.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-24-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
I can vouch for Boston Whaler floatation ability.

source: I completely swamped one when I was 13. Still Floated.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-24-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
And when you discover you've been taken by all the claims that they've been making ,your joy turns to anger as you realize you shoulda boughta Sanger.
Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       01-24-2014, 9:55 AM Reply   
Craig your going to start a fight! Erik

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-24-2014, 12:47 PM Reply   
Gotta rattle some cages sometimes Erik. It's the start of boating season.
It's all good.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-24-2014, 6:04 PM Reply   
not to keep the off track talk but I have a feeling Whalers aren't what they once where. They are a now a Brunswick product.
Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       01-24-2014, 6:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Gotta rattle some cages sometimes Erik. It's the start of boating season.
It's all good.
One week and boat show is in town, correct.Craig? Is Mike coming.

Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-24-2014, 7:15 PM Reply   
Jan 31-Feb 9

Yes sir, he'll be here first weekend.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-24-2014, 8:40 PM Reply   
It is pop riveted!
Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       01-24-2014, 8:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Jan 31-Feb 9

Yes sir, he'll be here first weekend.
Great we will see you there. Be nice to meet the guy who is taking so much market share from the big boys. This going to be fun let trash talk begin!!!!!