Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-06-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
How do you wash a full wetsuit?

I'd check the tag but its faded away and I don't want to guess and go screwing up a washer or a wetsuit.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-06-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
put it in water. no washing IMO
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-06-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
mike pees in his suit all the time. hahaha. Anywho, i washed one of my neoprene vests that was starting to smell. What i did was take a little bit of bleach and mix it in with water in a bucket. way more water than bleach. Get a scrub brush and just work the water/bleach mixture into the wetsuit. Let it sit for a little bit, then rinse alot. then just let the wetsuit sit out on the dock and have the sun bake the rest of the smell out.
Thats what i did, Use bleach at your own risk.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-06-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
imo when you're suited up in the water and the urge to pee hits you just let it go :-)
Old     (eric_z)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
Don't ask to use one of my wetsuits...Me and the kids like to warm the water up prior to riding. What do you think Scuba divers do?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-06-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
hee hee :-)
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-06-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
This isn't as important for wakeboarders riding in freshwater, but after everytime I use my wetsuit I hose it down pretty good and let hang it up to dry. This is all the washing you really need to do. I'm pretty sure they sell wetsuit shampoo if you're that concerned.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-06-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
I'm sure peeing in it played a small part. But its going on its 4th yr of use and even though the water i ride in is fresh, sure doesn't make it clean. I hose it down every now and then, but that isn't enough anymore
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
Yea... NEVER pee in your wet suit unless you like that smell. Usually just rinse it REALLY good after each ride and hang it up out of direct sunlight but dont leave it in a locked up somewhere. Basically to avoid mold growth.

that should be it as far as washing goes.

but yea... dont pee in it!
Old     (ckkohl)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-06-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
who wants to swim in there own pee any way!!! not me
Old     (dblockklsoldiers)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-06-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
I looked on the tag on my wetsuit and it says you can wash it in your washer but jus hang dry it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-06-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
scuba divers also wash their suit after every trip.

There are two kinds of ppl: those who pee in their suit and those who lie about it.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-06-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
it never fails I don't have to pee until I suit up and hop in the water and strap on the board and then like always it hits me I guess I could get out of my bindings take off my vest and pull my suit halfway down and pee but that just sounds like too much work for me when I could just pee right then and there without making everyone else wait for me to screw with taking all my gear off and putting it back on or maybe I'm just really lazy

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on May 06, 2008)
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-06-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
I've always just hand washed in the tub. Laundry soap and cool water and about 15-20 minutes of squishing it around.
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-06-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
DONT REALLY NEED TO WASH IT IF UR IN FRESH WATER. IF U WANT, JUST SPRAY IT W/ A GARDEN HOSE IN UR FRONT YARD.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-06-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
when my suit gets a little rank i wash it with shampoo or body wash in the shower. its no fun when you smell like urine on the boat
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
Mitch... give me a call at the shop, I have a question for you. I don't know what you're thinking taking a day off..
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-06-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Monty, i think its a reflex. When I was waiting in line at TSR i had this revelation that I wouldn't get to pee before my run. I was kinda sad but I wasn't sure what to do. So I peed. Right there on the rubber mat. People looked at me a little funny, but I enjoyed my run. And thats what counts.
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
<-- scuba diver and have never peed in suit

TYVM
Old     (jrlwisco)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-06-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
I have a Quiksilver 3/2 that has smelled from the day I bought it brand new. I've tried washing it in the shower and then saturating it in FeBreeze (which worked for about a day). Also washed it with WooLite, to no avail. Smell always comes back. When your room is only 10x16, it starts to stink up the whole place. Really sucks. I've just started to accept the fact that it is going to smell. I'm considering starting to pee in it in attempts that it'll smell better? :-)
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-06-2008, 9:41 PM Reply   
jon, are you talking about the smell of neoprene? cuz that is one of the top 5 best smells in the world.

Always pee in your wetsuit, and always rinse and hang up when you're done.
/thread
Old     (jrlwisco)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-07-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
Yeah. I know it's the smell of neoprene. :-) But boy, in a small room... it sure starts to smell nasty. I'm hoping eventually it'll go away, sort of like the new car smell goes away, but it has been a year now... Doh.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-07-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
thats the smell of fun. smell it up.
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       05-07-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
Hot water in the shower with me after I get off the water. Plus the ladies love me in my rubber suit.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-07-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
"i think its a reflex. When I was waiting in line at TSR i had this revelation that I wouldn't get to pee before my run. I was kinda sad but I wasn't sure what to do. So I peed. Right there on the rubber mat. People looked at me a little funny, but I enjoyed my run. And thats what counts."

I think I just peed my pants a little
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-07-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
25 years of surfing, pee in it ride in it and throw it in the back of the truck til the next time you ride..... Maybe hose it off every now and then.

I'm with nacho, there are people who pee in their suits and people that say they don't (liars)...
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-07-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
just be careful where you hang those pee-laden suits to dry after washing.. our neighbors dog thought it would be funny to come over to our backyard and pee all over my "freshly" shampooed suit laying across the lawn furniture.. did not figure it out until the next day when i went riding.. and yes, dog urine will give you a nice little rash..
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-07-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
Did anyone see the t-shirts people were wearing at the wake games that said "I &#9829; to pee in my wetsuit" I REALLY want one of those shirts. So if anyone knows where to get one please tell me. And just rinse out your wetsuit at the end of the day. Should be fine.
Old     (rmartin)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-07-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
peeing in your wetsuit is the best part of wearing one. Any dive or surf shop should carry wetsuit shampoo. It keeps it smelling good and conditions the neoprene. I would avoid using anything else.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       05-09-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
I agree, you just can't have a good run without the pre-run pee! However, don't live by that rule when you riding in cold water with a dry suit, it just doesn't seem to work out nearly as well!