Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-03-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
i rode the liquid force substance '06 last weekend and loved it! and i never want to ride with fins again unless someone can tell me what i would be missing. so now that i've found another board to compare to the hyperlite byerly '03 i'm wondering if there is much of a difference between the two...anyone?

liquid force substance '06
hyperlite byerly '03

...they both have reactions similar to my snowboard, which i like, and is compared to snow riding in the LF catalog.

another question...i looked at the girls versions of the liquid force boards and it seems the cadence and this years fix has the same descriptions but the board looks different than the substance? i guess i'd rather buy a guys board if this is the case since resale to smaller guys or youth (i'd get a 134) might be better than to girls. geez i don't have to worry about this with other boards or bikes...the male versus female thing.

thanks,
-Kim

(Message edited by girlwhoboards on July 03, 2007)
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-03-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
If you like the substance get it. I went from an 03 byerly to the 06 substance and liked the change. Don't worry about it being a guys or girls board, as long as it's your size and you like riding it then go ahead.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-03-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
thanks David...I love the simple answers :-). I've been waiting to buy the byerly since last year as i know i'll get a good deal with bindings but my friend hasn't convinced his son yet that he needs a bigger board. in the meantime, i found a board that will force me to be more aggressive and if i have a consistent board then i'll get better based on that alone. i've been told to look on ebay under grizzley...anywhere else i should look beyond here, craig's list, and local shops?

thanks,
-Kim
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-03-2007, 4:01 PM Reply   
Kim- you can go up to grizzleys in person. Those guys are really cool and have very competitive pricing. They are located in bothell. 425-357-nuts. You should be able to demo before you buy as well. Both myself and another rider in our crew used to ride the 03 byerly. I switched to a LF watson 138 and he is riding a LF axis now. The are both similar to the feel of the byerly just a bit faster and looser. Hope this helps.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-04-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
thanks mucho for the info :-). hey have you ever ridden the substance and if so how would you compare it to the watson or axis? i rode a coex today again and yes...love that board!
-Kim
Old     (johnben)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-04-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
I have heard that the watson is faster but never ridden one
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-05-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
"...i never want to ride with fins again unless someone can tell me what i would be missing..."

you will hear a lot of people say the opposite, but I am of the opinion that with fins being as short as they are today...if you have proper edging technique, the center fin can only help you. as long as you are not using them to initiate or hold your cut (that is what your edges are for), then the only thing I think a fin will do is help you pull out of that sketchy landing (when you may not land right on edge like you intended). now...I will say that 2 of the guys I ride with are very, very good...and both ride the Watson without fins......hmmm....maybe I AM missing something!?!? good luck....

p.s. I also have the Watson and heard that it is just a faster version of the Substance....and btw...it came with fins!
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-05-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
haha thanks. i ride snow too and other boards so i would hope i know how to edge properly but i could be wrong. i just had never done it before, liked it, and feel that if i can master it without fins everything else should be easier. yes, it helps for those landings but i want to work on surface tricks and sticking those things i do in the air. i'm not really that good just like challenges and after i rode a board this am with fins confirmed that i don't like them. good thing they are something you can take on and off. hmmm...now i want to ride a watson :-).
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-05-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
interesting....you say you hope you know how to edge properly, but if you really "felt" the fins this morning.........hmmmm.... just a thought. good luck whatever you decide!
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-05-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
on surface stuff like 180s...ok ok i won't rule out the fins hehe. thanks :-).
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-05-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
open-minded.....I like that!

and hey....I'm all about taking the fins off to really get your edging dialed...it's just funny to me how many people come on here and advise beginners by saying "take them off, their worthless...blah, blah, blah" when the only reason they took their's off in the first place was because they saw Shaun riding it finless in a video.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-05-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
Shaun who hehe. i've seen a lot of good riders, mostly in person, but one of my favorites is Amber Wing. I got to ride with her last year and she is amazing!!! so yea i'm pretty sure since i've been riding for a while that i'm not a beginner but then again i see guys throw down after 2 or 3 years and i feel sad at my status. i think getting really good at wakeboarding is more about agression, time on the water, skill for sure, and not being afraid to hurt yourself. i've been nursing a knee injury from soccer (mcl) for a couple of years now so i would have to call myself more of a "i just like to ride, be out on the water, and have a good time" girl (when i can hitch a ride) then anything else :-). i do like to progress, do something that's a little scary, and feel good about pulling something off from time to time though. but my thing now is i worked all last year on getting my wake to wakes that now i want to learn something else like throwing in some 180s off the wake...or riding finless like the other day i had no choice but to do or not ride. and yes i have to be open-minded as really i need to be skooled by those better than me and willing to show me the way :-). well, just got a call so this will be a double ended day of riding...am to pm with work in-between.

thanks Eric!
-Kim
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-05-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
well...no disrespect on the "beginner" thing...I just figured if you're working on 180s, you may be relatively new to the wake. but if you've got your w2w down, then you are definitely ready to start throwing some of that NW style into your riding. I totally agree that water time is the ONLY way to progress in this sport...but it sounds like you've got that down...2 sets in one day...that's nice!

okay...good luck with the knee, the fins, and your overall progression.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-06-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
haha thanks. not a beginner but probably not at the level i could be if i had my own board and could learn to trust how it handled and more importantly if it fit :-). it's no fault of my own though. plus the agression factor and having someone to watch me (that i can watch too) and then give me the tips I need to progress. but these are all excuses and i should just suck it up. my time on the water is not very consistant either. yesterday i just got lucky. since i've decided to focus more on wake sports and less on mtb this year it's better. the fun thing about last night was i got to teach a skier how to wakeboard :-). all the skills i have learned i transferred and he did pretty well in the rough conditions we had on lake samm. here's a funny thing, he started out in the water with the board up like a ski...but then again nobody told me how to turn my first time so i did butter slide type turns in both directions. hey just curious...what is NW style and how is it different from the rest of the world?
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-06-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
having your own gear and people who are better than you to ride with will definitely take you to the next level (no matter what level you are at). i would start by asking around here on the board (try the "be a third" page)...*hint* --> girls can ALWAYS catch a ride!

and that's cool...you're already spreading your love for the wake....nice....

now...let's get down to the business of you not being a beginner but not knowing what "NW style" is all about! of course i'm only kidding....but i saw from your profile that you live in WA.....well, when you've been around the board for a while and read all the WBM and Alliance mags, you begin to realize that each coast has their own style. with a very, very broad brush (you'll find more detail as you dig a little deeper)....but in a nut-shell the east coast (Orlando) is all about the mobes and contest riding, whereas the west coast and NW region are more about adding "mad steez" to grabs, pokes, spins, etc. having said that, there are PLENTY of west coast riders that can get tech on cue, but the majority would much rather do (and see) a huge grabbed back 180 off the d-up than a moby dick or kgb off the wake. make sense? if not, you definitely need to re-examine your "non-beginner" status! ha-ha...kidding again...

just troll the threads and listen to what these guys have to say...most (not all)...but most of them know what they're talking about and don't mind helping fellow riders out. have fun!
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-06-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
haha thanks. guess i'm just ok with getting out onto a boat with a great group of people that like to have fun, push it a little and have a good time doing whatever on whatever board. maybe i should go back to beginner status, put the fins back on, and just ride :-). i do listen though so i'll read up and go into observation mode. have a nice weekend Eric and thanks for all the help...much appreciated! if you lived closer i'd pay you to make me into a better rider so i could develope my own nw girls style :-).
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-06-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
"...put the fins back on..." --> nice!

and you got...it's all about being on the water and having fun. take care!