Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-27-2022, 5:03 AM Reply   
I keep getting some mixed results searching this but I have been led to believe the Mercruiser MAG MPI SKI engine is basically a vortec truck engine with a merc spec cam in it .

With that said I need to replace the heads as mine are cracked.
I have a line on 2 sets of decent vortec truck heads . Does anyone here have info on this. If these heads will work I can get my boat back up for the summer and my family might let me sleep inside again .lol
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-29-2022, 6:37 PM Reply   
Yes, they are basically a vortex head. The specifics of year or variation might be affected by the year your engine was built
I am not an expert on this specifically though.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-31-2022, 11:12 AM Reply   
So after extensive research they are the exact same head. The heads I got were identical to the ones I pulled off the boat right down to the casting numbers. Id say the engine is a chevy 1 ton truck engine with a Mercruiser spec cam shaft in it. I got the heads and new manifolds on with not much trouble. Put it back together and ran it on the hose and it definitely sounded better and a bit more responsive. So we decided and sea trial was in order. This is where things got weird. We left the 5 zone and throttled up and it was definitely running better and smoother but the power was not completely restored. Seemed like 75% of full power. So we cruise around to let the ignition learn since thats what I was told to do by a local boat mechanic. Once we cruised around for a while we decided some lunch was in order so we pull into a cove and as we come to a stop the low oil pressure warning alarm went off and it was idling very very low. So of course check the oil which was barely low but topped it off to the max for piece of mind. Then realized the super low idle was what caused the low oil pressure alarm to sound. So once it was determined we had oil I start it bump the idle up in neutral to normal idle RPM and its fine oil pressure wise. After this is when things get really weird. I was thinking maybe I need a new IAC or possibly the MAP sensor or both just for GP so I was mentally preparing myself to replace them. Well after floating around and having lunch we head towards the boat ramp. I'm driving and my son was sitting next to me and after about 15 minutes of driving suddenly the boat surges forward to a higher speed with authority and we both look at each other and are dumbfounded. He was watching me drive it and listening to how its sounds as I have a gear head in the making for a son. We slow down and its running great idle is perfect. So I put it in neutral and give it a few quick revs and its very responsive idle returns to perfect rpm. So I say what the hell and gun the throttle and it jumps up like a scalded dog and took off better then its ran in a long time. What it felt like was there was an obstruction some where like the fuel system or something and it suddenly blew out and went to full flow and pressure. We drove it around for a little longer but had to get off the water as it was getting dark out. Do any of you have any guesses as to what free'd up or blew out that caused all the performance to come back suddenly like that ? I was thinking maybe there was a plugged fuel vent hose that finally sucked clean or something. Maybe like an insect got in there or mud dabber next. I really confused by this and really want to take it out again and see if its still running so well.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-03-2022, 8:25 AM Reply   
I was taught that there is a fuel screen on the fuel pressure regulator that could possibly clog.I wonder if that thing came unclogged some how.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-13-2022, 11:36 AM Reply   
UPDATE: for anyone that might be following along.

I don't know what the heck is going on but the boat has ran perfect the last two outings . No fuel smell great fuel economy and running tip top. I don't know if the system is smart enough to need to run for a while to relearn or what but I am not complaining. I am so happy that its running well again I could do the happy dance. The last thing I am going to do is get the OJ props no drip system for the prop shaft and hopefully that stops the hull from getting any water in it. I am still getting more water then I'd like to and the engine is sealed up real well. I will re adjust the packing for now and use it until the OJ set up gets here and installed.
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-06-2022, 10:15 AM Reply   
When stabbing the distributor back in, did you set the ecu in Base Timing Mode to set your timing after reassembly? If not this is your issue. Also the heads will be the same with the exception of inconel valves typically.