Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-23-2015, 4:10 PM Reply   
Almost done with my latest backyard project and was curious if any of you have done Mister systems. I have water near by and had planned on running PVC and hiding it and than running nozzles on the front of the patio cover only.The concrete gets unbearable there so any moisture would be good there and I think the fans will circulate the cooler air. Photos are from slightly different stages of construction, but it give you a sense. I am trying to add additional cooling under the patio cover. Would love to have your input??
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-23-2015, 4:47 PM Reply   
We did a Mister system at our family lake house. A few things #1 a Inline filter is a great thing to have. The misters heads are very fine and it only takes a very small piece to clog up the heads. #2 A high pressure water pump is a MUST. If you just use the pressure from the Hose the Mist is pretty think and wet. The High Pressure pump pushes a very fine mist threw the heads, the result is the mist is more like a FOG+ it carry's further . It will not get you real wet if your directly under it ect. So chairs and towels will not be soaked after being exposed to it for a time. I would recommend going with copper lines. Smaller and will not degrade due to the Direct sun and exposure plus they look better cause the line is smaller and they don't stand out as much. #4 I would install a Drain in-line and mount the system so them in the winter when you get thoes rare LOW temps that cause pipes to freeze and break your system is purged and completely dry of water. Just mount it in a way that the Pump and filter are at the high point and the drain is at the low point of the system and at the end of the year you can open the valve and drain out your misters. Just one less thing for you to have to worry and or fix later on
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2015, 9:58 AM Reply   
Nice - I was looking at high and low pressure systems and struggling to understand the differences and that makes sense. As usual your posts are super helpful.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
One more bit of advice. The line from your water source to the Inline filter is usually the week link in the system. Typically you tap into a spicket, and then run a plastic or flexible line from the spicket to the filter or the pump. This is the line that usually breaks or is the week link in the system. If you have to run a flexible line from your spicket to your copper line (very common) I would use a short stainless braded line that runs from your spicket to the inline filter ( 3 foot or less) mount your inline filter on the wall and then start your copper line run from there.

Adding a fan to help push the Mist is also another tip. On real hot days when there is no breeze the mist will typically fall straight down and do lithe to no good . example you can be 5 feet away from them and not feel a thing. But if you have a variable speed fan behind the mister you can push the cool all around.

You can also set the system up in "Zones" you would install a inline shut off or bypass so if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction and the mist happens to be getting on your Eating area you can shut that zone off and still have the rest of the system still going
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-25-2015, 11:11 AM Reply   
Arnt you in California? Please skip the misters till we have more water.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2015, 7:32 AM Reply   
Yes Mike - Have not ran it yet. We have a huge party we throw for the 4th with lots of older people so it is mainly for that. Until we have water in cali I would not really be using it. The rest of us are very used to the heat anyways so the fans are sufficient, plus we can jump in the pool