Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       10-31-2011, 7:54 PM Reply   
We are planning a house boat trip on Lake Powell next year and came across the 12 people on board while underway law/rule.
I have never been house boating on Powell before, and we plan on renting one of the larger luxury boats and will have 1 wake boat...Its a little strange to think that you can only have 12 people on board the houseboat while under way, but have a huge house boat large enough to sleep 16 people...is this law legit -do they actually police it?

If you have any experience with this it would be great to hear about it.

Thanks.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-31-2011, 11:14 PM Reply   
Every time I've been under way on a house boat at lake Powell we have always had at least 15 people on the boat. So out of the nine times I've been there this has never been an issue.
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-01-2011, 9:31 AM Reply   
i have been houseboating on powell for 20 years, my latest houseboat is a 75x22 sumerset, we have as many as 20 people on board, while this may be a rule it probably is only enforced as a last resort, i.e. pulling a houseboat over and the owner turns into a d#&k, have a great time i just got back yesterday from powell, had to get her prepped for the winter,,,,just a last thought,if you are concerned about this just load your wakeboard boat with people and use it as a scout boat.......
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       11-01-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
While I do know that it is definitely a law, I don't know how much they enforce it. We go on a private boat, and the rule only applies to rented boats. I'm not sure if it is covered here, but this is the "rules of the lake" put out by the superintendent of the park. Kind of handy to have around. Covers what is legal to jump off of all sorts of stuff. Might take a chance to review just so you know some of the basic stuff. Actually I can't post it here, as it is a 12mb file. But if you want I can e-mail it to whom ever would like it.
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       11-01-2011, 9:13 PM Reply   
Thanks guys -I appreciate the input.

If anyone is looking to rent out their houseboat pm me, we are still looking.

Patrick -sent you a PM, thanks!
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       11-02-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
Justin,

I didn't get a pm. Shoot me an e-mail at ultrawickedsick@yahoo.com (yes i realize how bad it is, but it's a junk e-mail account haha) and I'll send it to you. Not to rain on your parade, they generally do not allow people to rent out their personal houseboats. I know it is just a rule, and I don't know how enforceable it is, but just so you are aware.
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       11-02-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Strange it didn't send -just sent you an email.
Thanks for the heads up
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-02-2011, 3:39 PM Reply   
I have never heard of it being enforced.

My houseboat for example, has regulations that it cannot be rented out without the primary owner present. But I am sure there are a few with more liberal policies, but I would not want to own a houseboat that all the other owners use as rentals.
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-02-2011, 8:43 PM Reply   
renting a houseboat on powell from a private owner is a huge no,no,.. there are two rental co's on the south end. aramark and antelope point. now talltigeguy may be right as far as having the owner on board, for me , no way would i ever rent my boat out, even if i was on board, if you want more info let me know, are you leaving from the south, check out antelope point, im very happy there, plus having golf carts shuttle you around to and from your rental houseboat makes life that much easier, also the golf carts have trailers, so when you pull up to valet, they take all your stuff to your boat, no need for hand carts,,
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       11-03-2011, 9:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up.

Mortbike -we are coming from California...are you referring to Wahweap marina?
Golf carts with valet service for your stuff sounds amazing!
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-03-2011, 11:25 PM Reply   
no not wahweap, antelope point marina,, it is pretty new,, south end of the lake , just google it for photos and info. let me know if you need any more info.....