Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-04-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Was someone wondering about these earlier in the year?!

I have to do a final project for a CAM class and figured I would try and make something that someone could actually use... If this is/was something that someone wanted please let me know so I can try and get dimensions for it all

Thanks
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-04-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
Nick,

Just wanted to make sure you know we already have a rotating mount. The TC2 clamp that comes on the 80's now is a stainless steel swivel rotating mount. That is also quick disconnect.

This clamp ships with the 485 as well but since there is 2 clamps. will only allow you to use it for quick disconnect and not swivel. And you can add this clamp to the 60's or MB-8's or older speakers as well.

I plan on updating the web site to show it in more detail.

But here is a pic. You remove the 2 allen bolts from the side and there is a cog with detents that lets you rotate the speaker around. This cog plate is attached to the speaker. Once you get it where you want, lock it in. Or you can remove the two allens and the speaker slides off making it very easy to remove from the tower.

It was a running change to this new stainless clamp but we have been shipping them for a while now.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Upload
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-04-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
Oh nice, that is exactly what I was going to do... only had 1 bolt in mind.... which is why you guys make quality products and I'm still a student.

Thanks!

back to square one for my project.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-04-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
Nick,
I asked the question earlier this summer for a swivel mount for the 485s. My goal is to have the ability to swivel them outward when we tie up so they are screaming straight back. below are some pics of my setupUpload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-05-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
Mox, i guess you are wanting them to be able to fire out to the sides? As right now, you can do front and back with the TC1 clamps you have.

But if you are wanting them out to the sides, there you go Nick! I can see a two plate system etc..

Might be a good project for you. And we do not have that right now or in the works

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-05-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
Here is what 10 mins left over in class got me for the 485... Let me make sure it is an "Acceptable" project then maybe I'll actually do a quality version of it

Upload
Upload

Tim, how do the speakers attach to the brackets?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-05-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Cool. Pretty nice for 10 min!

The old TC1 clamps like Mox has, have the stainless U bracket attached to the speaker with 3 bolts. So there are two separate ones. They slide into the clamp and are held on by the lug nuts on the clamps. Allowing you to slide them off for quick disconnect or flip them around to fire forward.

The TC2 clamps have a cog top plate bolted in the same place. So i think the easier solution would be a plate that rotates. Allowing you to bolt that to the speaker and use the same parts that come with it or in Mox's case, parts he already owns bolt onto that plate. So it is an add on part and not a completely new part.

But since you are just doing this for a class and not planning on building it. You can pretty much do whatever.

But for instance, to build it would not work in terms of the weight and stress. You would have sway back and forth and all the stress would be on the center part. This is compounded by the separation of the clamps and width of the speaker. So all the force would be on that part and the small stainless pin.

Not sure if your class goes over stress analysis or if you have gotten into any FEA classes. But something to think about when looking at designs.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-05-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
I figured for the pin, @ 5/16 grade 2 steel the shear is like ~600lbs which I imagine would be fine

and to fix sway I could just take a small chunk out of the bottom bracket so top piece slides in and is "pinched" keeping it from moving any which way
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-05-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
What about instead of a pin, you use teeth so you can pitch it out anywhere from 10-90 degrees then set it with an allen or something similar....that way it's not just straight back, or 90 out...it's a thought
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-05-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
Looks good. I would see if I could try and figure out a way to make the holes where the pins go through to be wholes connected by slots. This way, your not having to hold the weight of the speaker up while you rotate it. You would just remove one of the pins and the push up, rotate, and then drop back down in the rotated slot....if that makes any sense. If not, I can whip something up in solidworks.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-05-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
^ I know what you're saying, I think like this

..._____...
| |........| |
|_|.......|_|

ignor the dots, ww doesn't recognize 10 spaces as 10 spaces...just to hold a space value
Old     (kylenautique)      Join Date: May 2008       11-05-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
Hey Nick, have you ever seen the Samson quick release speakers that can spin? Samson is made right up the street from my house. Its cool stuff. Check it out http://www.samsonsports.com/wakeboard_tower_speakers.html
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-05-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
Nick,
Very impressive for ten minutes worth of drawing it up.

In a perfect world i would like to move them 30, 60 and 90 outward with the ability to lock them in place.

If you need detailed pics of the brackets for my old style clamp i will be glad to send them to you.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-05-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
having lots of stops could totally be down with like a handscrew type thing where once its snug you fold it over and it locks, so you could do it at any point... I would think since your speakers up upside down too that that would most likely hold tight enough too
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-06-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
Nick very impressive for ten min.I am very interested in seeing what you come up with. my wet sounds are set up like Mox's are.UploadUpload
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-06-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
very impressive drawing. i took a cad class 2 years ago. and it would have took me 2 months to draw that! haha. looks cool though. cant wait to see what you come up for the final design
Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-06-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Hey Jarod, just a question, but what is the reasoning for putting the speakers on top of the tower instead of under it? More head room? Tower speakers are on my to-do list this winter so I just like asking lots of questions

(Message edited by kbob on November 06, 2009)
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-06-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
Keller,
Jarod and I both have the Calabria Pro Vs and the tower height is slightly above 6 feet to the floor. If we mounted on the bottom you would have to duck under the speakers all the time or hit your head. Also I mounted mine on top because the girls like to spin on the stripper pole
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-06-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
Mox, you are my hero.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-06-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
Here is a breakdown of the swivel-quick disconnect TC2 clamp. This shows you how the current PRO 80 and PRO 485 ship. Also, you can add this to any of our speakers. These were some shots of the prototype. The finished clamp is a high polished stainless. We also changed the inserts to a plastic-rubber combo insert. Where the others are all rubber. These are plastic outside with the rubber inside. So the grip really good.

Tim
Wet Sounds

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-06-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
Tim, do you have to use an allen wrench to loosen up the bolts to rotate? How exactly are those quick disconnects if you have to undo allen bolts?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-06-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
Brett,

Yes you have to loosen 2 allen bolts on the side and the speaker drops down. It is quick disconnect. As the clamp stays on the tower and it only takes a few seconds to remove. I did not say "tool less"

BUT look close at all the other so called quick disconnects on the market. You need to use an allen tool to tighten them or take them off. There are some with a quick disconnect pin type system that is tool less but there is usually a lot of play in them so they can move around on the tower or when going through chop.

There is always a give and take. A sacrifice if you will. If you want something super quick and tool less. It usually means less sturdy. If you want something stout and solid. It usually takes a couple more seconds.

But, at the end of the day. You pull out the allen and spin these off and disconnect the plug and you have them down in 30 seconds. Others you pull a pin or un do a bolt, it is what maybe 15 seconds. So i would say that anything that separates from the clamp and removes is quick disconnect.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-06-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
brett, we have wet sounds on our boat with the quick connect. it rocks. its not hard at all to do by yourself. only takes 30 seconds to remove at most.

and if it was just a pin or something. like tim said, i wouldnt think it would be sturdy. tower speakers are not cheap. and personally i would like to know they are going to stay hangning there.

in a sum. the quick connects rock
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-06-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Tim, nice upgrade. Own Pro 80's and will be hitting the website for info on how to obtain some. Great job.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-07-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
"the shear is like ~600lbs which I imagine would be fine "

famous last words!!! FEA FTW!

Tim that quick disconnect looks nice- I've been laughing at that Samson one- such a good idea if it works, but on the other hand I keep thinking it can't possibly work! Anybody got some XM7s that have seen some dubs and can report back?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-07-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
My friend had some of the Samson quick disconnect. They worked great.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-11-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
Joe, I don't have the samsons, but have the XM7's and they are amazing. They have such clear and loud sound and the quick disconnect clamps are killer. I have no wires hanging when I disconnect on my MC X2. Being able to rotate them at any angle 360 degrees is a plus too.

When someone wakeboards, we can point the inside two XM7's straight back and the two outside XM7's slightly facing out so that the rider can hear the music when they cut out a bit more then all of them facing straight back. Or point them all at the rider when someone is surfing and blast them off their board!
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-11-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
Nick, Thats some pretty cool work for 10 minutes.
Too bad the quick disconnect design already exists and has a patent.

http://www.exileaudio.com/marine/?page=design

Upload
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-11-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
Those designs are different enough that the patent wouldn't stop nick from making and selling his design. Many ways to skin a cat!!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-11-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
I'm not trying to make money, or more than one of these.... just one to get a grade

odds are is right after I do... its in the trash with it