Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       05-07-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
Just picked up the board today and I was under the impression that the interior removable fins could be moved closer/farther away from the tails. Looking at it now I don't see how it's possible? Am I missing something? Thought that this was a cool idea and different way to tune the ride of the board.
Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2008, 1:37 AM Reply   
I thought it was just the centre fins you could either ride

a) all on ie 2 at each end
b) 2 on at the tip, none on at the tail - releases quicker off wake
c) 2 on at the tail, none on at the tip - tracks better

I may be wrong but I thought that it just meant only ride one set of the fins either at the tip or tail of the board to tune the handling.... I have the Lyman 139 and don't see how you could move the interior fins up and down the board either so I guess it must be that?
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-08-2008, 5:40 AM Reply   
how do you guys like the board?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-08-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
just tried it out last night - too loose for me. great pop though.
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-08-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
yeah I just watched the video of Keith explaining the board and he does go into a whole explanation of the difference that it makes when you move the inside fins closer or further from the ends of the board. Mine definitely doesn't have that option. I don't think it's a mistake on our part. As much as I love liquid Force I think it's safe to admit that they forgot something when they actually started producing the boards. It's either that or they just changed their minds after putting out that video. Still, the board freakin rocks. It's the best board I've ever been on. I have yet to hear anything bad at all about it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-08-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Try the Transcend. CWB has had this concept dialed for two years now. Andrew's idea. It works. Adjusting the fin placement forward or backward is the best way to add a little more traction (or less) without completely changing the ride of the board.
Old     (waketherainbow)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-08-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
Gotta agree w/ J-rod. I rode the Transcend with the fin extensions, didn't like it, and then rode it without the fin extensions. It was a completely different ride and awesome.
Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
If you watch the video and look at the board it doesn't look like you can see any design features on the board that would allow it to happen though? How does the CWB version work?
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       05-08-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
i thought the fins would have 2 sets of holes.
Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
Yea I guess that would be one way to do it.... but it doesnt have two holes in the video where Lyman explains it though, at least I don't remember seeing that... Its an awesome board anyway!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-08-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
The CWB board comes with two sets of fins (only with the platinum model). You can run no extensions, short ext, or long ext. You can also mix and match so that your weaker edges have more hold with a longer fin.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
FYI:

O'Brien has had adjustable fins on their Pro boards for the last 5+ years

I'ts definitely not something new
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-08-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
I thought I read in another thread that the cupped interior fins could be swapped side to side. Could be totally wrong and I don't have mine my Lyman in front of me to look?
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       05-08-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
Sure they can but there would be no difference.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-08-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I got in touch with Keith and here is what he had to say...

Unfortunatly when we filmed that video for the site, jimmy and i were still in the process of dialing in the fins so that they would have an extra set of holes for them to be moveable. however someone stole my prototype boards along with the fins off my front porch one day and we were unable to test them and dial them in. so we had to create the fins from memory and since the deadline for the boards was so close we were unable to do the testing over again and had to come up with what we had. the current fins are so thin that liquid needed to create different hardware to fit them onto my board. if we added another hole to the fin the screws would have most likely stripped out the fin holes since it would have had to have been a shallow insert.

my '09' board will have the adjustable fins on them. jimmy is currently working on dialing in the new fins and i will be testing them at powell. once those fins are made the board will be able to be ridin 3 different ways. finless, fins all the way back, or fins all the way forward. the holes, as they are now, on the board are in the best location for the best traction.

thanks for the e-mail! i hope that clears it up! but they will be that way for '09'! hopefully people dont feel i have mislead them in anyway.

thanks again!
keith