Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-31-2012, 3:23 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I had tower speakers installed at my dealer 3 years ago and I've had just about enough of the crappyness.

I would like to change my tower speakers and in-boat speakers (x6). I do not like hard bass, the stock sub that came with the boat is good enough for me. We do not wakeboard. We surf and hang out at the local beach. I am looking for sound quality and of course, loudness. I am not familiar with audio specs and how it works, so feel free to educate me!!
A friend of mine (visor) on the board had a Wetsounds system installed and he is very pleased with it so I would like to go the same route.

the WS420 eq is a must!

The boat:

02 SANTE, stock alternator, 2 batteries , perko switch.

stock inboat speakers (x6)

2 Kicker amps ( zx250.2 and zx200.4)

Roswell Vamp spin pro tower speakers

Clarion head unit

I was told to look into the wetsounds icon8 for the tower? Can I keep some of my old equipment and build a decent setup?

thanks!

pics for clicks
Attached Images

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-31-2012, 4:40 AM Reply   
If your wanting to go wetsounds go ahead and do it right the first time and go with the xs-650s on a syn-4 amp. You will love them.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-31-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
I believe the S is for salt water?

what about tower speakers? let's say I have a limited budget of 1500-2000$ total...?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-31-2012, 3:33 PM Reply   
How many tower speakers are you wanting? One pair or two pairs?

The ICON 8 is a perfect wake surf and party cove speaker as it is a sound quality speaker but being an 8 inch has a lot of output and mid bass.

The Kicker amps do not have enough power to drive them so you would not be able to re use those amps. The 200.4 is 35 watts x4 at 4 ohms. Bridged it can do 100x2. The 250.2 does 85x2 at 4 ohms and 125 x 2 at 2 ohms. If you wanted to re use them. You could run one pair of in boats on the 200.4 bridged and the other two pairs of in boats on the 250.2 at 2 ohms.

Do you have a sub in the system?

The HT-2 will drive two pairs of ICON 8 as the amp does 165x2 at 4 ohms and 300x2 at 2 ohms so you net 150 per speaker when running two pairs.

Two pairs of ICON 8 and an HT-2 amp would fit your budget as well.

Re purpose the other amps and worry about them later. Or you could do a HT-4 on the 6 in boats. Running either the XS-65 or XS-650.

As for sub. If you dont have one, you could look at the AS-10 powered sub. as it has a built in 500 watt amp and 10 inch sub in a full fiberglass enclosure so all in one plug and play. Not having to worry about an amp to power it.

Shoot me an email twhite@wetsounds.com and I can have our canadian reps get with you and find you someone close by you to work with

Tim
Wet Sounds

Last edited by wetsounds1; 08-31-2012 at 3:35 PM.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-31-2012, 6:07 PM Reply   
You might be hard pressed to improve your system very much for that amount. Especially if you want Wetsounds stuff. Maybe consider doing this in phases. Based on your stated usage, I would start with a pair of tower speakers (like Rev10's) and an amp big enough to handle them and a future additional pair as well. I just finished doing exactly that on my 05 SAN. Then work on the in-boat speakers next-as money allows. After that I bet you might even want to upgrade your sub if you find that your current sub won't be able to keep up with the new stuff. My .02. If you do go Wetsounds, you'll be impressed for sure.
Old     (centurion88)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-31-2012, 7:02 PM Reply   
learn from me and do it once and only once. if you dont have the money to get what you want or for the better brands. exile or wetsounds DONT! save a little longer and get what you want cause if you dont your just going to spend more money if you go for the cheaper brands
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-01-2012, 1:17 AM Reply   
A black deck too... I'm jealous. I have deck envy. Call David at Earmark. He's a great resource who is very helpful on this site as well as a great merchant to buy your equipment from.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-01-2012, 3:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. I know having a decent wetsounds setup within my budget was a long long shot! I think i would be ok with single speakers on the tower as they would probably be louder than my current setup?! As far as subs go, i think i will leave the old one in place, i dont really care about bass. So a single on the tower, ws420, amps and 650s x6 ?

Thanks alot guys

envoyé depuis tapatalk
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-04-2012, 6:00 PM Reply   
Bump

envoyé depuis tapatalk
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-04-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
your amps arent big enough for the 650s i wouldnt think, especially the xs650s. I have 3 pairs of the xs-650s on syn4 like i said. Your looking at over a $1050 bucks right there and another 200 for the eq. Post up your budget and what your looking to do with the overall system. There's a lot of guys on here with alot of knowledge that can make great suggestions. I also am running a pair of rev 10s on a syn 4 and a 13w7 on a 1000/1 slash amp and it does pretty good for wakeboarding and party cove. You'd be looking at around $3500 for something like that so post your budget, or get with Tim or David personally and I bet theyll hook you up
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-05-2012, 12:04 AM Reply   
Pete, do the math. You're not gonna get a good system for $1500-$2000. It's that simple. That's why you're not getting any more responses. Either cough it up or do without. When you're trying to create an outdoor concert, it gets expensive. Especially when you're doing it for the second time like I did.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-05-2012, 5:22 AM Reply   
I'm gonna have to disagree with these guys saying 2K won't get you a nice stereo. But you would need some audio knowhow to make it happen aka installing everything yourself. That can save you a bunch of money but if you don't know how to do it properly leave it to the pros. I ran the 1 pair of homebrew eminence 8" hlcd tower speakers with an audiopipe 2ch, alpine type R components 2 pair with an alpine 4ch and a rockford p3 12 and a alpine mono amp and got it all for under 1k. Some used some new. Was it the best? No, it was clear, loud, and sounded good. And I could easily hear while wakeboarding. But I saved money buying some used stuff aswell as installing everything my self. So don't let these rich people fool you. It is possible. Just trying to give you some encouragement. None of it was marine except the radio. 5yrs later its all still going strong and the new owner of the boat still loves it and works great...
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-05-2012, 6:45 AM Reply   
Shawn, in his first post he said he wanted wetsounds. You get what you pay for. I skimped out and went kmt6s on tower, little kicker 450.2, and a p3 sub and all that cost under a grand too. But 2 months later I sold everything and saved up to get what I have now. But I think a lot of us have redone our system because we didn't do it "right" the first time.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-08-2012, 12:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce2320 View Post
Shawn, in his first post he said he wanted wetsounds. You get what you pay for. I skimped out and went kmt6s on tower, little kicker 450.2, and a p3 sub and all that cost under a grand too. But 2 months later I sold everything and saved up to get what I have now. But I think a lot of us have redone our system because we didn't do it "right" the first time.
You can lead a horse to water but.....
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-05-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
Oh I know all about redoing systems. I have a wholesale account, so I get my stuff pretty cheap. A few years ago I would buy a system, use it for a month, sell it for a profit, and use that money to upgrade. I have prolly been through a couple hundred different amp, sub, and speaker combos in the past 6 years... everything from 1 8, to 8 12s.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-05-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
I agree with a lot of what is being said here..
Do it right the first time.
If you want to keep costs down you have to figure out how to install it yourself.
Deals can be found on the wet sounds gear.
If I were you I would go with 3 pairs of xs 650's on a Syn 4 and a pair of icon 8's on another Syn 4 bridged.
Keep the deck and your sub set up and add the 420..
The gear will run you around $2200 if you shop around.
Another lower cost tower option might be a pair of Pro 80's
There are some good deals out there on yesterday's technology.
I had 4 of them before I upgraded to Rev 410's. IMHO the pro 80's sounded great.
Good luck!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-05-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
Go to the classifieds section and click on audio and video. There is someone selling pro 80s for $550 and another guy selling a syn 6 for $500 That amp will push the pro 80s and all your in boats and you still have $450-950 left in your budget for in boat speakers and installation.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-05-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
I forgot you also need a WS 420 but you are still close on your budget if you go to the max of $2000. You will have to do the install yourself though.
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       09-07-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
For the budget your looking at check into the new Memphis audio tower speakers. A local shop here sells them and they have a great sound, not quite like wetsounds but for the money your wanting to spend I think you would like the Memphis

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...marine-towers/
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-10-2012, 3:35 AM Reply   
thanks for the input again guys.

I know my budget is on the low side..maybe I could keep the old tower speakers and change the inboats+amp+eq for my winter project! The roswell aren't that bad, I think I am pushing them too hard to make up for the crappy inboats!!