Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-22-2018, 12:23 PM Reply   
There is a discussion (mostly democrats) that restaurants be forced to pool the tips, and distribute them to every worker. Back of the house employees would "benefit" from server tips.

This is a horrible idea. This is yet another measure by democrats who truly don't understand specific industry, or how the real world works.

I assume that they are trying to do an end around, since the forced $15 minimum wage is such a (predictable) disaster

government needs to butt the F$@%# out
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-22-2018, 2:03 PM Reply   
No words

GEEEZUS.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-22-2018, 3:27 PM Reply   
My 1st job ever, pearl diver (back house) at a French restaurant. $2.40/hr. I'd work Friday from 3pm til midnight and Saturdays 2pm til midnight. No breaks, unless it was slow (never), no lunch. I would be so famished by 10 pm or so I would eat chunks of un-eaten beef wellington off the plates coming back. Ahhh, the good old days.

What are pros and cons? What do front and back people get paid? I could see the back house people liking the idea, and the front perhaps not wanting to share the tips.
Good Luck.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2018, 3:41 PM Reply   
Don’t Dummacrats love the words share the wealth?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-22-2018, 4:15 PM Reply   
I prefer Japan. No tipping. People get paid a workable wage. Customer service is stellar.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-23-2018, 5:30 AM Reply   
Japan, Asia in general, Europe, South America, etc........America is pretty much the only place with a retarded tipping culture. Just about like everything else we touch, we've completely f*cked up even having the ability to sit down for a meal and paying for it in a normal way.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-23-2018, 6:22 AM Reply   
I haven't really been following this, but from the news I saw it was the Trump administration that advocated tip sharing. It was an Obama era regulation that prevented tip sharing, and Trump wanted to over turn it. Can you post some links to show that Democrats are the culprits and not the GOP darl'n Trump.

https://www.eater.com/2017/12/5/1670...-labor-changes

Quote:
The Trump Administration's Department of Labor wants to allow restaurateurs to collect tips earned by front-of-house staff and redistribute them as they see fit.
This could help shore up the growing pay inequality between cooks and servers.
This could also mean employers could keep tips for themselves or the business.
Update: The public has until February 5, 2018 to comment on the rule, which was officially proposed today, before it goes into effect.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       03-23-2018, 6:33 AM Reply   
Some places here already tip share... I know the Ruby Tuesday my ex-wife used to work at did it. I thought the concept was ridiculous then too... It basically made the bad employees worse and the good employees not care to continue being good. A percentage of the tip pool went to pay the busboys too.

While on the tipping subject... I tip well for reasonably good service, but have made an example out of very poor service before as well. I've never worked in the food service industry and was always told by those who had (who all tipped well no matter the service) I just didn't understand and all service deserved a fair tip. I also struggle to understand restaurants who do nothing more than quickly bring your food after ordering that have a tip amount on receipts... I don't recall ever leaving a tip to pay for service that hasn't been rendered yet. I may be the only person that thinks that way, but I'm don't feel it's necessary to leave a tip for someone only delivering my food.

One last thing as it seems to be a solid division among people who tip... Do you make your tip an even dollar amount or the total an even dollar amount? I always make the total even as I'm OCD and it makes more sense to me, but have been told that's rude to give the server an odd dollar amount as they don't want to sit there making change at the end of the day.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-09-2018, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corerider View Post
I always make the total even as I'm OCD and it makes more sense to me, but have been told that's rude to give the server an odd dollar amount as they don't want to sit there making change at the end of the day.
When I was on food service back in the day that was annoying as hell cuz we would go to the register then have to count out the change for our tips. It is now pooled at the end of the day but one thing we also had to do was keep a running tally of our actual tips left cuz the manager was known to skim a few bucks off the top and short servers. A bunch of random amounts made it that much harder to track mentally as you were hustling to keep the customer happy cuz management understaffed the shift...again...which cuts into your service ability and tips.

Long story short, it is an annoyance to the servers.

Now on the other side of the coin...as a customer ALWAYS take your customer copy and receipt even if you just throw it out right away. I have known more then one unscrupulous server that would add a few bucks to the final tip if you left the customer copy behind. Server then knows you likely have no way to know what the final bill actually was if you ever look at your statement if you leave the receipt behind.

Last edited by Shawn; 05-09-2018 at 12:51 PM.