Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       09-02-2015, 1:20 PM Reply   
So I've searched and searched on this and have found some old post but I want peoples opinions who actually like a really big wake and have done so on this boat.
Boat is a 2011 x25 and Im wanting the biggest wake i can get. The best setup to date for myself is stock ballast full, with a 750 in the front walkway, an x2 bow sack on top of the front seats, and the flyhigh star rear sacks in the back compartment, with driver and spotter wake is good, but adding one more person the wake starts to lip on one side not matter where the 3rd person sits.
I don't want to hear about how the stock wake is great and that if you can't ride do your tricks behind that then you don't need more weight.

If you have ridden an x25 with some serious weight before what was your best outcome for the wake?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2015, 2:48 PM Reply   
First ......What speed and rope length you at?
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       09-02-2015, 3:53 PM Reply   
22-23.5

75-80ft

Boat also has the 6.0 engine in it.

Just looking for answers from people that have ridden with some serious weight.
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-02-2015, 5:46 PM Reply   
sounds to me like if its getting lippy on one side than side to side weight is off, I run 4000 in my 08 22ssv and side to side weight is sensitive and I have to add more weight than I would think to get the lip off of it. I hear lots of weight can cause this in boats and in my case that's all it was. I have lead I can move around, which helps, with all the weight the prop digs deeper and pushes harder, I have to have more weight on the passenger side than the drivers side. Might just be my boat but I ride with lots of weight so I figure I would mention what worked for me..Not that it matters but 75-80 depends who's ridding, and between 22.8 and 23.4

Last edited by turbojedi; 09-02-2015 at 5:55 PM.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-02-2015, 6:29 PM Reply   
all i can say is get your boat looking like the :38 second mark and up the speed until it gets clean...
http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/del...visitors-pass/
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2015, 8:11 PM Reply   
Loaded up with that much weight you really need to try and bump up the speed. 24.5 is where it should really clean up that far back. That's already a #%%% ton of weight. In my opinion if you were planning on running all that and maxing out wakes I would have went with different hull. I'll elaborate. I know the 25 is legit. Family member owns a 2012.

The hull on the X25 is a blessing and a curse. The deeper v gets you that nice peak and steeper tranny. It also helps the 25 not need to crap ton of ballast to get the wake macking.

The down side to the deeper V hulls is they are much more sensitive with weight distribution. One person can really throw it off. Best way to combat this is get some pop bags/lead wake/bomb wake bags to shuffle around. The other downside is deep v hulls tend to have a max out point much lower that the flatter hulls. So you're prettying at that point. The reason is purely due to the deeper v hull and the displacement it gives.

Not really best example but think about this. Hold your hands in a V shape.......Real easy to push into water. Turn both hands flat becomes harder to push into water but you also displace more water. Now take it step further. That flat hand displaces water equally across both hands. So when you load weight on it it displaces the weight evenly across. Now load the deep v hull with weight. The displacement will vary from the center to the edges due to the angle of the V. That's in essence why v hull style boats max out quicker and reach limits.

So now one last step further. Surf wakes. Deep v hulls until the addition off all these surf systems always produced the best surf wakes. Lean that V on its side and you now get a flat surface to much more evenly distribute the effects of ballast. Lean you flat hand on its side now it won't distribute it as evenly.

Not really sure you wanted all that but there it is.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-03-2015, 12:04 AM Reply   
Xstarrider, that was a superb explanation on wakes.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-03-2015, 6:15 AM Reply   
I have literally the same issue with the x25 regarding the lip. It has nothing to do with how evenly the boat is weighted. It's something with that hull I have decided.

It's INCREDIBLY annoying, frustrating, irritating. It's like riding 2 different boats heel side to toes side. The only way to reduce the effect is to dump the weight, unfortunately I have basically given up so we just ride that boat stock.

However, i have played with weight in that boat a lot. We found the best heavy set up would be twin 500s in the back, 750 in the walk way over the KGB tank any more and the lipping effect becomes unbearable.

You can run 23 at 75 feet, maybe even 80, all day long.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-03-2015, 6:37 AM Reply   
XSTARrider that is an excellent description of how a v hulled boat makes a wake, unfortunately for whatever reason it doesn't not seem to apply to the x25 regardless of weighting it lips up on one side, not washing. The hull gets very flat in the rear so I don't know how that effects it.

I am very familiar with weighting V-hulled boats, specifically our tige so that is a truly great explanation.

You basically have gotta get v hulled boats to the "tipping point" so to speak where if you add or move another ounce of weight the wake is going to crumble at any given speed and that is your best wake, any more and you're gonna have a bad time.

Last edited by simplej; 09-03-2015 at 6:39 AM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-03-2015, 6:57 AM Reply   
Guess I should add how we set up ours.

Factory , I am guessing around 300extra in each rear locker as they are 600lbs each but we never fill them completely for boarding. We run IBS horseshoe full on top of front seats(650lbs) We are at 24.5mph. On windy days there is def little difference side to side wake characteristic. We've experimented a little by kicking the adjustment plate down by 1/4 or less. Seemed to even out wake but for us with that setup. Took little of the kick off but helped with the curl
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-03-2015, 8:53 AM Reply   
I've never had the issue of it laying over and being "two different" wakes on each side. I run a little under 4k in my 25 and it just gets bigger and bigger with the weight I add. I also only go 22.6 at 75ft rope and its perfect. 24.5 is too fast IMO, even wth 4k that I run.

I run full stock-700 or so right?
Full rear 400s
A 750 on the floor against the back seat
And a bow triangle (1k) on top of the seats up front-
And 5 people or so.
And it is nuts.

Last edited by aricsx15; 09-03-2015 at 8:55 AM.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-04-2015, 6:30 AM Reply   
You have it weighted correctly, Aric. Too much rear weight will cause an X25 to put out uneven wakes and also make it roll over easier.

Almost any boat will put out uneven wakes if they are way too heavy in the back. If there is not enough hull length in the water, an inboard will have a tendency to "dog track" ever so slightly. Basically, there isn't enough hull length in the water to fully compensate for prop walk. My G does this if I have too much rear weight.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-04-2015, 7:55 AM Reply   
My axis gets weird on the port side wake without bow weight as well.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-04-2015, 8:14 AM Reply   
I find the G does this as well stock. PCMs seem to prop walk more than others