Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SHotz__21)      Join Date: Aug 2016       05-24-2017, 4:36 AM Reply   
hey all,

unfortunately my buddy and I weren't able to find a towboat for the summer, a few other financial needs came up. so we arw stuck with his bayliner 185 for hopefully its last summer with us.

Thinking of bumping up the stereo a bit to enjoy it a little more. He has 2 tower speakers installed already and a few amps aitting around. Wondering if there is anyone out there that has a good location for a sub woofer. we thought to make a box for under the helm or passenger seat. Also thinking of adding a couple of cabin speakers. thinking of putting two in the bow on either side of the walkway. is there going to be any issue with cutting holes in the fiberglass there?

Also. any suggestions for decent priced marine speakers for this project would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-24-2017, 5:12 AM Reply   
Honestly. Why waste money in putting that into a Bayliner that you are probably going to dump soon? Save it and increase the budget for a real wakeboard boat. It's your money I guess....
Old     (SHotz__21)      Join Date: Aug 2016       05-24-2017, 7:30 AM Reply   
well the only thing we would be purchasing is wiring and one set of speakers. we already have everything else.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-24-2017, 7:34 AM Reply   
i see no issues cutting holes for some speakers as long as your talking 6.5's . We cant suggest a sub location with out seeing the boat .
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-24-2017, 8:58 AM Reply   
If your looking for a decent cheap speaker, the Polk DB651s are water resistant and sound pretty good IMO. I put 2 sets in my cabin Cruiser and have been happy with them. Can be had around $60 a set on eBay
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-24-2017, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
the Polk DB651s are water resistant
Despite polk's claims, there is little thats "marine" with the previous DB series. Exposed magnet that will rust. cheap metal screws not stainless. Very little UV it seems cause they fade in short order in direct sunlight. pole mounted tweeter with no weather boot to bridge the gap.

I agree its hard to beat their sound for the price, but far from a marine speaker.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       05-24-2017, 10:16 AM Reply   
You don't need marine speakers
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-24-2017, 5:31 PM Reply   
^^^ this is certainly debatable. However, its not fair to the builders of true marine equipment to see car door speakers marketed as marine to unknowing consumers. Too much of that crap by some that want to run with the big dogs, then cry when they are compared to said big dogs.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-24-2017, 6:37 PM Reply   
Let's not forget what these are going into. No need to by the fancy marine speakers for his Bayliner that he's going to get rid of ASAP.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-24-2017, 6:41 PM Reply   
^^^ still worth a debate, my issue is a car door speaker marketed as a marine speaker thats sold for a 4th of what a true marine speaker is.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-25-2017, 5:21 AM Reply   
Mike,
I know they aren't a true marine speaker. Thats why I called them water resistant. If you can mount them somewhere that stays relatively dry I think they are OK.

I had mine on an elevated sedan bridge that was covered when not in use. They showed no fading or any signs of rust.

But are they wet sounds or Exile? NO
Old     (SHotz__21)      Join Date: Aug 2016       05-25-2017, 6:07 AM Reply   
I have put those Polk speakers in many stereos I have installed for other people with great reviews. didn't realize they were water resistant. I actually have some sitting around still! perfect.

Also, is there a cheap zone controller out there? we hate being those guys that blast music across the lake when we aren't boarding.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-25-2017, 6:23 AM Reply   
Get the Kicker ZXMRLC I have had it in 2 of my boats, and my buddies use it too. Works great!
Kicker 10 ZXMRLC Dual Zone Remote Level Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W0ISO4..._hQTjzbJ0ZX28B
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-25-2017, 6:34 AM Reply   
The Kicker ZXMRLC is a great product.