Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-30-2017, 11:40 AM Reply   
Anyone picked one of these up yet? Can you drop the rope? The video shows a couple very short ropeless sequences, but I can't imagine that foil having enough bite to push you along behind a boat.

https://www.wakemakers.com/slingshot...hot+Wakefoiler
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       03-30-2017, 7:13 PM Reply   
about to pick one up in a week or so. Ill keep you updated!
Old     (Summer225)      Join Date: Apr 2016       03-30-2017, 10:24 PM Reply   
I tried one last weekend and I wasn't very successful at it, I'd say I'm an intermediate surfer and couldn't get to the point I could throw in the rope or dyou much with it.....it was also very sensitive, the slightest movement resulted in falling out of the wake or nosediving. I was with a guy in his 20's who is a phenomenal wake boarder and he struggled with it too.....I'm sure like anything else it could be mastered....my 2 cents
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-31-2017, 4:26 AM Reply   
Id like one, but too expensive for the few times I would use it with larges groups up and stuff. Would end up one of those multiple things sitting around the garage.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-31-2017, 6:32 AM Reply   
I am going to grab this one. Should be a fun new toy. I really like the idea that you can wakeboard and surf on this one. thewakefoil.com

Plus its not as expensive as the Slingshot version.
Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-31-2017, 8:49 AM Reply   
I tried a Kite foil behind the boat 2 years ago. Basically the same thing as this with foot straps - which really helps because it gives you a direct place to put your feet. If you move your foot forward by half an inch either way you're either sailing into the sky or nose-diving into the water. It's very tricky. My friend who uses it for kiting all the time couldn't even surf without the rope with it. The problem at that speed, that close to the boat is the prop wash has serious churn in it that makes it really challenging. I had better luck moving it back to wakeboarding rope length and could ride with it with the rope.

Also note that its huge, and sharp, falls have a risk if the board turns foil up and you fall on top of it. I'd probably give it another try because I like the challenge, but would never consider spending that kind of money on something that has little upside (no real surf tricks, best you can hope for is to ride it). Would spend my money on an airchair instead. The backflips are huuge.

They're great for kiteboarding tho, so efficient you can use them in 5-10mph winds. Something I could never do with a board.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-25-2017, 4:13 PM Reply   
:O

http://www.suptonicmag.com/sup-news/...i-documentary/
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-26-2017, 5:44 AM Reply   
I should get my clearwaterfoil.com tomorrow. It is all wood and cheap, but I just want it for some good times and laughs behind my Dad's pontoon. Heck, I'd just rent one if I could. I can't wrap my brain around a $1,000 toy that will be something to learn to ride and that is about it.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-26-2017, 5:17 PM Reply   
Super interested in the clear water foil, did you get the kit or the complete version?

Please let me know what you find out!
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-27-2017, 8:18 AM Reply   
I'm really interested in the Clearwater foil as well. I'd like to hear about your experiences with it.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-27-2017, 8:23 AM Reply   
I just got the kit today. It is just wood machined to sizes and shapes. I have a game plan on how I want to glass it together and the hardware I want to use. I have hit up james on my design tweaks and I am waiting on his input.

I'm not a woodworking/fiberglass expert so it is going to be a bit of a challenge for me, but I look forward to it. I'll post picks as it comes together.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-27-2017, 8:37 AM Reply   
Check out the link I posted above - $12k will get you a self-propelled version.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-27-2017, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
I just got the kit today. It is just wood machined to sizes and shapes. I have a game plan on how I want to glass it together and the hardware I want to use. I have hit up james on my design tweaks and I am waiting on his input.

I'm not a woodworking/fiberglass expert so it is going to be a bit of a challenge for me, but I look forward to it. I'll post picks as it comes together.
Post some pics of your changes if you could. I'm planning on doing the kit as well. I've got lots of woodworking experience but no glass experience.

What board are you going to use?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2017, 11:43 AM Reply   
I think I'll build a clearwater as well.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-28-2017, 7:44 AM Reply   
FYI, You are looking at about an extra $75 to finish it out. If you don't have any of the fiberglass stuff and hardware.

The mast to the fuselage is the trickiest part I can see. I've started by making it up and creating a jig to hold it in place. I've put a little wood glue to hold the two together so that I can run 3 screws through the fuselage into the mast before I start glassing everything.

I have an original El Von Videl Shcnook 136 that has already been experimented on quite a bit. I will probably ride it without bindings, but I'll have that option too. I'd reccomend anyone doing the same.--Junk wakeboard are cheap. And even if I mostly end up using it for surfing, the board won't matter. Heck, you could build one out of plywood and it would be the same...
Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-29-2017, 5:25 AM Reply   
after I watched the video of this thing, I'm wondering if I'd even bother buying a boat next time. This thing looks like so much fun!

www.liftfoils.com

I don't want to be the first one to plop down $12k for one while they are still getting the kinks out, but its on my radar for sure if they deliver what they say they will.
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-29-2017, 6:52 AM Reply   
As a kiteboarder that foils, I can tell you it will work! You will be able to get on foil and cruise using the wake/wave of a decently loaded wake boat. You will want to be going the same speed as wake surfing.

Anyhow I can confirm that wake foiling is definitely possible and enjoyable. Just another toy for the water.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-29-2017, 6:55 AM Reply   
I forgot how much I hate working with fiberglass. I just don't have the patience. It looks like crap, then you sand. Add another layer, it looks like crap, then you sand.... With enough time I could get it perfect, but I want to ride it this weekend.
Old     (mcwake)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-01-2017, 3:41 PM Reply   
I have been out on the foil and yes you can drop the rope. I rode the slingshot one and it was a blast, totally worth having as a toy. My buddy Jade rode from probably 30' back up to the boat without the rope it was pretty rad