Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-24-2015, 12:35 PM Reply   
I'm a beginner wakeboarder (have done it maybe 10-15 times so far), but I use to skate in my youth(and was really good) and I still occasionally snowboard. So not much time on a wakeboard, but many of the skills are transferable. I'm pretty comfortable with most maneuvers on the surface (riding,180s,cutting etc..)

I can do ollie 180s and just started landing BS 180's of the wake. I'm currently working on clearing the wake and have landed on the wake a few times. After watching videos of me, I see that my problem is I'm still absorbing the wake, since I'm literally trying to ollie off the wake like I would a skateboard. I will try to correct this on the next time out and that should have me clearing the wake.

Obviously I need to work on getting all this down reliably and doing it FS and switch. However I also like to always progress forward and try new tricks (between practicing old ones). Keeps things interesting for me and pushes me to progress faster overall.

I think I will probably try 360's (I can do ollie 360's with a snowboard, so next just gotta transfer the skill over) and practicing grabs.

Up through that, it's all stuff I've done one way or another many years ago on a skateboard or snowboard. So I'm confident in learning it, just a matter of practice/time to rebuild the muscle memory.

So whats next? Is a backside roll the next thing for me to try? I've never actually done any kind of rolls or flips on any board... So I'm not as confident about this as everything else I've done so far. I talked to some other kid and his first trick he learned after the basic wake to wake and such was a tantrum. I can't imagine that being 'easy' lol (My wife actually just bought me a trampoline as a surprise last week, so we have been practiing our flips on it.)
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-24-2015, 2:03 PM Reply   
Just signed up to learnwake and its a massive rescource, with a good amount of information on progression. So I guess the website answered most of my question.

Reading a bit through it, it looks like I have a bunch of little things wrong with many of my techniques, since they arent all exactly like skateboard/snowboarding (like body position during edging out)
Old     (kjohnson709)      Join Date: Aug 2015       10-02-2015, 8:07 PM Reply   
Learnwake is awesome!!!

The one thing I can say that you shouldn't overlook is your toe side jumps. I spent my first two years only trying to progress on my heel side jumps and I regret it. Get to a point where you can clear the wake from both sides and your riding progression will improve very quickly. Being able to jump from both sides also makes your sets much more fluid and more fun IMO.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-03-2015, 8:47 PM Reply   
I've been humbled and surprisingly it's been pretty difficult for me to break my bad snowbaord/skateboard habits for jumping the wake. Just now I'm starting to correctly jump it using edging,line tension and locked legs , rather than "jumping" like on the other board sports. Took alot longer than expected. Anyways, learnwake.com has been an awsome resource.

I toned down my goals to getting the fundamentals a little better. Like you also mentioned , I can't forget toeside.