Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-02-2016, 6:08 AM Reply   
I have a 16 t22 wither the wet sounds 2nd tier package 4 icon 8 on tower 10 sub and 8 in boats

It comes with wet sounds ht 2 and ht 6 amps, is there an easy swap out to go to only 2 speakers on the tower and not have to change amps? Think rev 8's or 10's as we wakeboard a lot ?
if the amps can power them correctly??
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-02-2016, 7:07 AM Reply   
you will need a new tower amp. The HT2 runs the towers in SP2. HT2 only does 165w per channel @ 4ohms (it's got a 2 ohm load with 2 icons per channel, so it does 300w per channel @ 2ohm, so the factory-recommended 150 per icon). You need an amp that does 3-400w per channel for Revs. I mean they'll run on 165w (and sound OK too) but you'll be leaving a good bit of potential on the table.

Swap out the HT2 for JL HD 750/1 / Wetsounds Syn 4 / Wetsounds SD2 / Arc Audio KS300.4 or KS600.2 and you'd be good to go.

And doesn't SP2 only have 6 cabin speakers (4 in cabin, two in bow)?
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-02-2016, 7:13 AM Reply   
Yes it does my bad !

Thanks for the info
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-02-2016, 7:14 AM Reply   
You do not have to swap out any amplifiers. But you need more amplifier channels and more power as it is for the existing speakers to reach their full potential. So you definitely should add an amplifier. And with that additional power, you should fortify your supply cabling and distribution. For example, with a single pair of Rev10s you can add one bridged 4-channel amplifier. Wetsounds has two new full amplifier series to select from. Then you can re-distribute the existing amplifiers to the sub and in-boat coaxials. Your entire system will take an enormous leap by adding one amplifier. There's generally plenty of fine tuning you can do to OEM systems. At the time of any changes it wouldn't hurt to have a pro detail and re-tune the entire system.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-03-2016, 4:31 AM Reply   
So after a good bit of reading I think I am going to stick with the icon 8's. Reality is I am getting old and will prob start spending most of my time surfing instead of face planting at 80'. I think sound around the boat is going to take priory . That being said I'm thinking now to swap out the 10" sub sub to 12" enclosed, maybe it's the tuning from the factory but my old boat had a 12" enclosed and professionally installed and it sounded monumentally better than the fa 10". So now the question is what amp (if any should I add) or should I just leave it to the stereo company that will build the enclosure. Ideally I would want to keep everything wet sounds !

12" sub and the amp!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Searching the boards it's crazy how many intelligent stereo guys are on here!
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       04-03-2016, 4:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuurph84 View Post
So after a good bit of reading I think I am going to stick with the icon 8's. Reality is I am getting old and will prob start spending most of my time surfing instead of face planting at 80'. I think sound around the boat is going to take priory . That being said I'm thinking now to swap out the 10" sub sub to 12" enclosed, maybe it's the tuning from the factory but my old boat had a 12" enclosed and professionally installed and it sounded monumentally better than the fa 10". So now the question is what amp (if any should I add) or should I just leave it to the stereo company that will build the enclosure. Ideally I would want to keep everything wet sounds !

12" sub and the amp!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Searching the boards it's crazy how many intelligent stereo guys are on here!

I would have someone build you a good box for the sub that you have. I know it's basically open air where Axis puts the sub.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-03-2016, 5:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
I would have someone build you a good box for the sub that you have. I know it's basically open air where Axis puts the sub
IIRC, Axis is using a proper IB woofer, the Wet Sounds XS-10-AF. Putting the 10AF is a small enclosure would be a step back. One issue I would address, is the plastic helm inset that the woofer is put through, if thats how it still is on a 2016. A flexing panel and leaks around it joint will certainly hurt any woofer's performance.

If you do upgrade the towers and their amp, move the woofer to the HT-2 and rewire the in-boats to use all 6 chnls of the HT-6.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-03-2016, 6:22 AM Reply   
Quote by TigeMike, ".....move the woofer to the HT-2 and rewire the in-boats to use all 6 chnls of the HT-6."

Yes, do this ^^^.
HT-2 bridged to a new Wetsounds XS-12 sub in a quality enclosure.
HT-6 driving the six in-boat coaxials.
Add a Wetsounds SYN-DX2 to drive four Icon8s on the tower.
After only one new sub and one new amplifier, with a little reconfiguration, this system will be a major upgrade from what you have now.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-03-2016, 6:47 AM Reply   
David and Mike, are you saying that the HT-2 is underpowering the icons?

LOL, not to hijack Murph's thread, but... I've got the same boat on order also with SP2. I also happen to have a JL HD750/1 -or- a JL XD 600/1 in the parts bin (one on the shelf, one in my truck, but will/could switch them), along with a 12w6v2. My plan is very much along the same lines you have suggested... to replace the sub with the 12 and add an amp.

That said, my plan was to take the sub off of the HT6, and run all cabins from that amp, then put one of my two amps in for the sub... not for the towers. Obviously I could run the 750/1 to the towers instead (with a bit of rewiring in series), and leave the HT2 to power the sub.

Thoughts?

(background: Ran two pair of rev10s for 3.5 seasons, one pair last season.... looking to move back a little from absolutely crushing everyone in the boat, but at the same time want to have decent projection at least for surfing)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-03-2016, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
[ Mike, are you saying that the HT-2 is under powering the icons?
Quote:
If you do upgrade the towers and their amp
Not in the slightest, especially for 2 pair. The HT-2 is a perfect amp for 2 pair of 8" coaxial. Would I suggest an amp with more RMS if someone was building from scratch and asked, yep. For a single pair, I would certainly suggest a higher rms.

Quote:
looking to move back a little from absolutely crushing everyone in the boat, but at the same time want to have decent projection at least for surfing
I understand what you are after and the volume dial is the answer. If a larger speaker is too loud to a passenger in order to be X dB's 20 ft behind the boat, then a smaller speaker will be just as loud to said passenger in order to achieve the same dB level at the same 20 ft behind the boat. Not talking you out of an 8" coaxial by any means though.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-03-2016, 8:14 AM Reply   
Shawn,
I like an XD600/1 as a perfect match with a 10W6 but there isn't a more perfect amplifier for a 12W6 than an HD750/1.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-20-2016, 12:54 PM Reply   
so I am planning to pull the trigger but I wanted one last opinion from everyone. ( instead of purchasing the dx2 I plan to purchase a syn sd4 to run the tower speakers.)with the idea of upgrading to 2 485's in a year or so? if I am reading the specs right that would put 185 rms to the icon'8's ( is that to much?) would I be able to do two 485's with the same amp at 685 rms ? what exactly does mono mean?

then have

ht -2 for the new 12" inclosed JL 12w1
ht-6 for the inboats?

thanks again for everyone's help!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-20-2016, 5:55 PM Reply   
If you have 4 Icon-8 and the end goal is a pair of Rev-410 (485 retired 3 years ago), the ideal amp for now and future speaker upgrade, would be the SD-4. No, 185W rms is not too much for an Icon-8.

Mono is opposite of stereo. No distinct left and right audio image like stereo. However, you need the proper amp to run a full range mono pod like the Rev-410, properly. The Wet Sounds SD-4 will do that.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-26-2016, 5:59 PM Reply   
Well I just went back and fourth but ended up with the dx2 to run the 4 icon 8's

Would love the 410's but really want to see how a season goes with raising and lowering the tower with 4 icon 8's. (My wife will want to be able to do it by herself )

I'll post results once I get my boat back but went with a Jl 12" sub and added the dx2 for the tower.

Super excited to hear the system! (Glad I upgraded before the season really gets going!)
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-30-2016, 3:51 AM Reply   
On a side note, now that I have the 3 amps

Ht2 ht6 dx2 , will I need to add a 3rd battery?

I plan to install an on board charger to plug in at the dock and we rarely hang out playing music with the boat off unless we are there
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-24-2017, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAnalog View Post
Quote by TigeMike, ".....move the woofer to the HT-2 and rewire the in-boats to use all 6 chnls of the HT-6."

Yes, do this ^^^.

HT-2 bridged to a new Wetsounds XS-12 sub in a quality enclosure.

HT-6 driving the six in-boat coaxials.

Add a Wetsounds SYN-DX2 to drive four Icon8s on the tower.

After only one new sub and one new amplifier, with a little reconfiguration, this system will be a major upgrade from what you have now.

So I finally got around to doing this, my last step is to install the 3rd amp (dx2 ) for the icons (I swapped out the inboats to 650's too)

Are there any good wiring diagrams for adding the 3rd amp?(I searched google and the forums but couldn't find anything?)

I have a power distribution block that looks like an open slot I could add the 3rd amp to is that recommended? Or should I run it to the batteries(they are 3' away from where I'll mount the amp.)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated . I'm still going back and forth on if I should just pay a mobile installer to come out or attempt it myself?

I am moderately handy at best but I did do my home surround sound myself .

Thanks