Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (plav77)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-08-2015, 4:17 PM Reply   
I'm looking at getting a Ghetto Gate or Wave Gate or whatever you want to call it.
Does anyone have any experience with either the Wake Shaper or Wicked Wave?
This is for my 2002 Supra Launch

http://wake-shaper.com/
http://www.wickedwakesurf.com/

Are there any others worth looking at?
This is what I know
Wicked Wave is around $300 for one side or $500 for a pair, made out of thick plastic
Wake Shaper is $550 but works on either side and they say can be swapped easily, made out of aluminum
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       09-08-2015, 4:44 PM Reply   
The Wake shaper looks interesting for ease of installation and deployment. However, it looks like all the force is put on the swim platform so I'd be a little worried if the swim platform brackets are up to the task. It looks really cool and I'd love to hear how it works. The Wicked wakesurf site was down so I could not look at that one. If you get a wake shaper, let us know how it works.
Old     (plav77)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-10-2015, 9:50 PM Reply   
Also found the Wake Surf Shaper not to be confused with the Wake-Shaper!
Talked to the guy today and he now is partnered with Ronix and they are at the Surf Expo right now.
$599 for his product that velcros onto the side of the boat!
Kind of cool and easy to put on and take off.
https://www.facebook.com/Wake-Surf-S...1311/timeline/
I would think if Ronix is partnering it must be a good product?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-11-2015, 8:58 AM Reply   
Why don't you just make your own for under $50 in materials and one evening's worth of work?

Of the ones you listed, I really like the aluminum one the best.
Old     (Walter)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-11-2015, 9:28 AM Reply   
I have a wicked wake surf on my A22 and love it!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-12-2015, 4:15 AM Reply   
Me and my buddy made this one for my boat
We installed a stainless receiver tube, and an aluminum hitch. It works great and can be removed in seconds.
Attached Images

Old     (Endurance)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-14-2015, 12:01 PM Reply   
I have about talked myself into a go surf assist surf package. http://www.gosurfassist.com/ At $4,000, they're not cheap, but they're fully automated with controls at the driver's seat. As much as I would like a $500 fix, I can see that the go surf assist will give me a launch mode (both tabs down) for ballasted wakeboard starts and better handling because I won't be trying to turn my boat when I have a device bigger than my rudder trying to push my boat one way all the time. While I could live without either of those features, it looks to me like the wake is better with my boat and the go surf assist since my '98 MasterCraft Maristar has more of a ski hull.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       09-14-2015, 12:24 PM Reply   
Joe I have two questions for you:
How do you like your Sunstream Boat Lift. I been looking at one for my dock.
Also I like your homemade surf gate. How do you know what angle it needed to be to get the best wave and push?
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2015, 5:37 AM Reply   
make a giant door stopper and velcro it to the side of your boat, works great and way less of a hassle than all this junk
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       09-15-2015, 5:56 AM Reply   
The velcro one can be made super easily yourself checkout this thread on the bu crew.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...ge-yes-please/

he even has the links to buy the materials. man i should make a facebook page and start selling for 550 each. thats a markup of over 2300% !!!
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       09-15-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure wake-shaper is no more. Might want to call them before you order from the site. The dude that started that on the MC forums has vanished. Not sure what happened. But it's easy to make your own. I wouldn't worry about pressure on the swim platform/brackets. Hundreds of people making these and I haven't heard of any damage yet. You wouldn't want to go much over 10mph with it on, though.

Here was my first attempt:
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-15-2015, 4:06 PM Reply   
I love the lift. It works better then I could've ever hoped.

It's pretty deep at my pier so a floater was my only option. I just couldn't stomach the price of most lifts. I found this one and was surprised by the price. It's is nice to be able to go out any time. It really comes in handy for the quick sets when I wouldn't normally have time to launch just for an hour.

There are a few things I really like about this lift. It starts with how easy it is to launch and take out. I dumped it in at the launch with a snowmobile trailer and floated it across the lake to the pier. Its tied to the pier so no extra poles. That came in handy when I was working on the surf tab. I just untied it and spun the whole thing around so I could sit on my dock and work on it.

Its basically 4 individual float tanks. Each one has its own valves and air pump. Its runs off 2, 24 volt batteries. I charge them with a generator once in a while, but I'll have a solar panel kit for next season. That works for me because I don't have power down there yet. My pier is 1000' from the house, so pretty expensive to run wire.

The lift it's self is super easy to use. It has a key phob with an up and down button.

The local dealer wanted $8900 without delivery or set up. I found this one on ebay for a lot less. I was actually a dealer demo. I was a little nervous sending money across the country to someone I'd never met, but it went without a hitch. He still has one left at a deep discount off new.

As far as the surf tab goes. There was a few guys with Epic's that already did all the homework, I just copied them at 22.5 degrees. The only thing we messed with was the length. We started at 24" and we're down to 20". Because of the receiver type setup, it'll be super easy to try different things in the future. I might even make an NSS type for next year.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-19-2015, 7:06 PM Reply   
I wanted the wake-shaper but they don't respond to messages. He responded once & never replied to any more messages about ordering one. Not going to put my CC info in a site with no response
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       03-22-2017, 3:22 PM Reply   
Check this one out. Www.swellwake.com