Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-03-2003, 11:06 AM Reply   
Anyone know what I need to convert my WMA files to MP3 so I can put them on an IPOD? I no longer have most of the original music so my only files are WMA.

I would also like to export the info data from Windows media player to excel to print a list of my music. I heard that this is available but I cant find it.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-03-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
I didnt think you needed to have it mp3 to put it on an ipod, but if you need to convert it go to www.tucows.com they have alot of free/shareware stuff.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-04-2003, 2:09 PM Reply   
You should see if your ipod supports the new mp3pro format. Same sound quality and the files are much much smaller.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-04-2003, 2:21 PM Reply   
The iPod supports AAC, MP3, and WAV files. Check this site for a list of converters:
http://www.burnworld.com/software/mp3/converters.htm

There is one listed, Audio Converter v4.05, that says it converts wma to mp3. The quality may suffer when you convert since you are taking a compressed file and recompressing it to a different format.

I'm sure there are plenty of others too, another source is http://www.download.com/
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       11-07-2003, 8:44 AM Reply   
This is a very rookie question, but is a WMA file what you get when you first download music to your pc right off of a CD? I am getting into video editing, and of course want to have some background music. But the music I pull directly off of my CDs is in the wrong format. It sounds like these programs would convert it to a proper file format, am I right? Thanks.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-07-2003, 8:55 AM Reply   
wma is the format that Windows Media Player uses when it copies songs from a cd to your computer. Depending on which video editor you use, you will probably need either wav or mp3 files. If you can rip the cd again (copy the music to your computer from the cd) you will get much better quality than if you convert one compressed format to another.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-07-2003, 11:04 AM Reply   
also doesnt media player also encrypt it so it won't run on another computer? i hate that. rip with a stand alone ripper - there's plenty of free ones out there.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       11-20-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
Cool, thanks guys!
Old                11-20-2003, 5:05 PM Reply   
I think the way that would maintain the most sound quality would be to burn you wma's on a regular playable cd, then re rip them in itunes for you ipod. Its a pain, but i do it with the stuff i've got in wma's and needed to get on my ipod