Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-17-2016, 5:12 AM Reply   
So I just purchased a new t22 and will be keeping it on a boat lift. That being said how do you guys secure your boat to where if the lift fails the dock lines keep it from rubbing in the slip? I tied it off at 4 points to the cleats but if the lift drops it put to much slack in the rope to keep the boat from hitting the sides (I have bumpers all the way around) but would like to be able to tie it off to where it is impossible for it to touch at any point (like I have the pontoon ) was thinking to do some type of pvc between the lines to hold it off ? Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-17-2016, 11:54 PM Reply   
What type of lift? What does it do if it fails?
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-18-2016, 5:57 AM Reply   
It's a hydrohoist

It just drops the boat in the slip,

I have the boat tied off to the cleats (four points ) but once the boat is dropped it creates a good bit of slack in the lines? (Where the boat can reach the sides of the slip) I have bumpers on the boat and the slip but would love to figure out a way to tie it off to where it can't touch anything ?

That make since?
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-18-2016, 6:58 AM Reply   
Your boat is on a lift, you have it tied up, and you have bumpers on your boat and slip already?

I recommend Xanax.

Otherwise use bungees.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-18-2016, 8:20 AM Reply   
I've had my boat on a HydroHoist for 10 years.. I tie the stern lines and spring lines (in case it fails...). Honestly, the bumpers should be plenty. It's not going to be sitting there rubbing for 6 months, right? Remember - it's a boat. It's designed for that.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-18-2016, 8:21 AM Reply   
Additionally - the only time I've personally seen a HydroHoist 'fail' was when someone didn't close the valve all the way..
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-18-2016, 5:12 PM Reply   
Thanks guys Xanax it is lol!
My first new inboard so I am super paranoid lol

Yeah I think I'm good, most it would be there would be a day or two (my neighbor lives up there full time)

Did new rubber around the slip and new guards at the brackets.

Also

Had my lift guy check all the clamps on the hoses

Thanks for the info
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-18-2016, 5:53 PM Reply   
Question, how do you center your boat on the lift when it is lifting?
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-19-2016, 6:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
Not sure about yours.. but my dock is covered. Stern lines are attached to the poles at the end of the slip and adjusted to length. Grab the front of the boat and pull it tight - it's centered. If it's a tiny bit off, it'll straighten out when the lift catches.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-19-2016, 7:17 AM Reply   
I hold it in place by the tower and I attach the front ties to the bow eye.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-19-2016, 10:45 AM Reply   
Similar to Mark, I recommend "guide ropes" as shown here. With this, pushing back on the nose of the boat puts the boat in the same place every time. And, adding bow tie left-right-center to the dock can hold the boat in place when the lift is down.
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-19-2016, 3:44 PM Reply   
Murph, I've given this advise several times over the years. Do yourself a favor. Pick up a rock and chuck it at your boat. It'll only hurt for a minute. You'll put a ding it, but the upside is that you'll be able to relax and actually enjoy your boat. It won't stay new forever, and your clearly stressed out about keeping it that way.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-21-2016, 6:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesell View Post
Murph, I've given this advise several times over the years. Do yourself a favor. Pick up a rock and chuck it at your boat. It'll only hurt for a minute. You'll put a ding it, but the upside is that you'll be able to relax and actually enjoy your boat. It won't stay new forever, and your clearly stressed out about keeping it that way.
No need for a rock.. just take out a few beginners and let them bang the board around the back.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-21-2016, 9:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
Additionally - the only time I've personally seen a HydroHoist 'fail' was when someone didn't close the valve all the way..
This ^

You can install a ball valve where the air hose enters the air tank if you want extra insurance that the lift won't go down while you are away for long periods. I've seen people not press the lever on the pump box all the way up and their lift went down gradually over 2 days until their boat floated away.

That being said, ours hasn't gone done once in 6 years. I do have one line attached to the back to keep the boat from floating away or hitting the font of the slip. it can bang on the sides all it wants, there's plastic bumper lining the edges, plus 6 fenders.

I had this fear when we first got our boat and lift also, but it's really not an issue.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-21-2016, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
our lift swings away from the font of the slip, and when the boat nose is 1" from the front of the slip, it's centered.

If your lift is already mounted, just get the boat centered on lift, drop it in the water and mark on the dock with permanent marker right were the driver side rope cleat should be. So next time you pull lin the slip, just put your hand out, grab the marked area, stay in your seat, drink beer while your buddy turns on the lift. or more pimp, get a remote control for the air pump.