Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-12-2014, 6:20 PM Reply   
I need a little help. The wife of a friend of mine wants to surprise him with his own set up for Christmas, and I was wondering what those of you here might recommend. He is a fairly new rider, and just started riding midway through the summer of 2013. He has been riding my Murray Nova 142 and has progressed fairly well. This past summer he was very close to W2W heelside and even landed a few 1 wake 180's. He is a big guy (probably 6' maybe 6'-1" and probably 225 lbs) so definitely would not need to go below a 142. But, he has never done any other board sports, so I can't really say whether or not he would prefer a looser or more locked in board. And he has only ever ridden my Murray.

I don't think that she wants to spend a lot of $ so I was going to try and help her find a good deal on a last year's model or something. I was just curious as to what suggestions you might have as I have only ever owned Hyperlite gear (I have ridden a few other boards, but always liked mine better)
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-12-2014, 8:47 PM Reply   
Probably somebody will hate on me for this, but anyhoo…
You know what they say, closed mouth don't get fed.

Check the WW classifieds. I'm trying to sell a Liquid Force Shane 142 Fly core that is like new, not a scratch on it. This board listed for something like $600 bucks new, and this one has been ridden exactly once. It's a sweet board, and the only reason I'm selling it is because I ride only cable these days, and this is too nice a deck to tear up hitting jibs at a cable park. It is pretty locked in. It is gonna pop harder than one of Murray's boards, but if your friend concentrates on proper form, then he should start clearing w2w easily after he gets the feel for it. You might like it better too.

I have about a dozen pairs of bindings in my storage space, mostly med and large, and many in excellent condition.

I've got the board listed for $200. If your friend wants to buy it from me at that price, then I will include a pair of bindings for free (assuming I have something that will fit him if he's not a size 13 or something). I'll also cover the shipping, which tends not to be cheap.

I'm sure there are gaggles of WW pundits who will be inclined to follow with various arguments against, and I'd expect no less from this forum. but I don't think you'll find a better deal on a better board with free bindings and free shipping. If nobody on WW wants it, then I'm gonna wait until mid-December and take it to eBay.
Let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by dococ; 11-12-2014 at 8:49 PM. Reason: correction
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       11-13-2014, 5:44 AM Reply   
I would stick with the Murray 142 bio or the new baseline package is a really good price too. Aside from Hyperlite check out the Ronix district package and the CWB reverb.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-13-2014, 5:54 AM Reply   
I'd recommend buying gently used, but I think that would be a little bit tacky for a xmas present.

http://www.evo.com/outlet-shop/anniv.../packages.aspx

There are a few good options in the Hyperlite lineup here, like this, http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/hy...ings-2013.aspx

Or this Ronix would probably be good, http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/ro...ings-2013.aspx

I'm a big Slingshot fan, so I've got to throw this one out there, blended/subtle 3 stage rocker should be user friendly. This board will probably ride a bit looser, http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/sl...ings-2013.aspx

Blended rocker is probably going to be user friendly for the beginner.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-13-2014, 6:07 AM Reply   
I agree with Tom. The Slingshot Recoil 144cm would be a perfect fit for his size. The bindings also aren't bad for open toe.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-13-2014, 6:28 AM Reply   
I was thinking reflex over recoil (due to a more hybrid, less aggresive rocker), but both are great wakeboards. I'm riding a recoil right now in 146 and LOVE it.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-13-2014, 9:21 AM Reply   
It is difficult for me to notice the rocker difference in the Slingshot line. I like the recoil cause it is just a little more stiff that the Reflex and the pop is more noticeable.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-15-2014, 5:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS_mi View Post
I would stick with the Murray 142 bio or the new baseline package is a really good price too. Aside from Hyperlite check out the Ronix district package and the CWB reverb.

+1 for district package
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-16-2014, 8:01 AM Reply   
A CWB Standard 143 would be perfect. Top it off with some JT boots and you're golden. This package is one of the most cost effective pro model packages on the market. It was designed to be an "everyman's" board. Plus, the JTs are the lightest and most comfortable boots available.
Old     (Benji91)      Join Date: Nov 2014       11-26-2014, 11:27 AM Reply   
If your ever short on reviews one site I've found to be good in the past is:

www.boarder-control.co.uk

The reviews seem very honest and it's not the usual manufacturers descriptions etc, it's come from other riders who own the boards. It's lacking slingshot and CWB but I'm sure that will change over time. Worth a check.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-26-2014, 4:31 PM Reply   
stay with the Murray, youre not gonna find anything much better but if you must stray look at a HL Marek or the Ronix Code22