Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-29-2017, 10:56 AM Reply   
Just figured I would put this up. I'm sorry I don't contribute much to the football and political threads but I have no football team anymore and my career prevents me from picking a political side on a public forum. However I read these threads every day and get much enjoyment from doing so.
I cant wait to hear the Wakeworld view on this.
Thanks.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-29-2017, 11:08 AM Reply   
Please take Oregon and Washington with you!!

Can you imagine how awesome it would be to not have to give money any more California and Washington Dollars to the flyover states anymore?

I still don't understand why the states that get the most federal dollars are the ones that want the least interference from the federal government.

Last edited by plhorn; 01-29-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-29-2017, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by plhorn View Post
I still don't understand why the states that get the most federal dollars are the ones that want the least interference from the federal government.
The electoral college makes their votes the cheapest to buy.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-30-2017, 6:10 AM Reply   
If it does happen, it will be interesting to see what the trade agreements will be like.
Just on electricity.
California only makes 2/3 of the electricity they use (CA. energy commission), and CARB is even more stringent then the EPA on power plants.
So will the prices of electricity go back to the Enron days due to the "flyover states" tariff on the power grid or will CARB be forced to change policies so that the west coast can start generating enough power to be self sufficient?
Old    TheWakeIsReal            01-30-2017, 8:04 AM Reply   
As embarrassed as I am right now to be associated with some Americans, California leaving is a terrible idea. We are one of the main drivers behind science and reality. It doesn't matter how clean we are when the rest of the climate deniers are burning up coal right next door. The Trump election was a wake up call for all the young people who didn't vote and I think we could make real change soon. We just have to get past the 30 years Trump is going to set us back first.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-30-2017, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Please take Oregon and Washington with you!!

Can you imagine how awesome it would be to not have to give money any more California and Washington Dollars to the flyover states anymore?

California and Washington give money to fly over states? I'll admit I don't know a lot, but I believe California is highly dependent on federal funding.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-30-2017, 11:26 AM Reply   
This would never happen, although there would be many on the right who would welcome it - the removal of 55 blue electoral votes? They'd be salivating.

Jarrod, CA is 46th out of 50 as far as federal dependency goes.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-30-2017, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
California and Washington give money to fly over states? I'll admit I don't know a lot, but I believe California is highly dependent on federal funding.
Ever see one of those maps that contrast federal funding received vs federal taxes paid? It's not the total amount, it's the net difference that counts.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-30-2017, 11:45 AM Reply   
Thank you. I'll read into it when I have time later on.

I realize spending doesn't mean dependence necessarily, but I thought this was interesting nonetheless.
http://www.lao.ca.gov/LAOEconTax/Article/Detail/131
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-30-2017, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
This would never happen, although there would be many on the right who would welcome it - the removal of 55 blue electoral votes? They'd be salivating.
I wouldn't feel to comfortable about the future wrt to getting SS if I voted to become a citizen of a new country.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-30-2017, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Thank you. I'll read into it when I have time later on.

I realize spending doesn't mean dependence necessarily, but I thought this was interesting nonetheless.
http://www.lao.ca.gov/LAOEconTax/Article/Detail/131
Always interesting to see the details - but right there it says it's highest because it has the biggest population - so any per capita program is going to inflate it quite a bit. Also nearly 30 billion of it is salaries of federal employees - so that skews it a bit too...
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-30-2017, 10:49 PM Reply   
By far the dumbest idea to come from all this- although i'd be in favor of splitting norcal and socal into separate states.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-30-2017, 11:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
By far the dumbest idea to come from all this- although i'd be in favor of splitting norcal and socal into separate states.
We can agree on that!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-31-2017, 12:31 AM Reply   
stateofjefferson.com
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-31-2017, 12:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah that's all we need. You'd see all kinds of malcontents that were worse than Wes when he went certifiably insane/out of control the other day on the Trump thread. The water war alone would be mayhem.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-31-2017, 12:53 AM Reply   
I know it's hard to believe, Mark, but telling a hypocritical asshat to go **** himself does not constitute insanity.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-31-2017, 7:16 AM Reply   
Always classy...
Old    TheWakeIsReal            01-31-2017, 8:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Always classy...
lol, you serve no purpose here but to antagonize. Never once have you formulated anything that could be considered helpful to the conversation. And no, quoting somebody else with a single word like "BOOM" or something doesn't count.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-31-2017, 11:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWakeIsReal View Post
lol, you serve no purpose here but to antagonize. Never once have you formulated anything that could be considered helpful to the conversation. And no, quoting somebody else with a single word like "BOOM" or something doesn't count.
I'd like to formally second this sentiment and reiterate that Markj is a hypocritical A$$hat.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-31-2017, 11:26 AM Reply   
In his defense, sometimes he goes with "KABOOM."
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-31-2017, 12:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
In other words, my efforts are working. Honestly, you libs get your panties in a bunch so easily. It makes it fun to poke at you guys. You're tho thensitive.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-31-2017, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'd like to formally second this sentiment and reiterate that Markj is a hypocritical A$$hat.
Well, gee, thank you for being formal about it. We heard you the first time. What makes this so funny, is the fact that you and your partners can only call names. You might as well fart in the wind. Way to marginalize yourselves. Rest assured, most people on this forum disagree with your side. YOU are in the minority.
Old    TheWakeIsReal            01-31-2017, 2:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Well, gee, thank you for being formal about it. We heard you the first time. What makes this so funny, is the fact that you and your partners can only call names. You might as well fart in the wind. Way to marginalize yourselves. Rest assured, most people on this forum disagree with your side. YOU are in the minority.
Excuse me, but your victim complex is showing. This coming from a guy whose main argument is "libtard".
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-31-2017, 4:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah that's all we need. You'd see all kinds of malcontents that were worse than Wes when he went certifiably insane/out of control the other day on the Trump thread. The water war alone would be mayhem.
Thats actually why i'd like them to be their own state. They can start building their own dams and depleting norcals. My livelihood depends on the water as well so seeing their reservoirs at capacity and ours close to empty along with jerry brown and the state water board bs really irks me. He sure was pretty fired up! I can't say if it affected me i wouldn't be fired up either though.

Last edited by bass10after; 01-31-2017 at 4:44 PM.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-31-2017, 6:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thats actually why i'd like them to be their own state. They can start building their own dams and depleting norcals. My livelihood depends on the water as well so seeing their reservoirs at capacity and ours close to empty along with jerry brown and the state water board bs really irks me. He sure was pretty fired up! I can't say if it affected me i wouldn't be fired up either though.
Ha! No kidding! I worked in SoCal last year and couldn't believe how full Pyramid Lake was (on the grapevine) while ours were empty.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-31-2017, 6:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Excuse me, but your victim complex is showing. This coming from a guy whose main argument is "libtard".
Further proof that libs take themselves way too seriously... Not a funny bone in their bodies.

I hope you realize this is just fun banter to me. I'm still having fun even when you guys are freaking out and calling names. I'm not even offended and I don't care how right you libbies think you are. I still disagree with you, as does the majority of the whole country.
Old    TheWakeIsReal            01-31-2017, 6:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Further proof that libs take themselves way too seriously... Not a funny bone in their bodies.

I hope you realize this is just fun banter to me. I'm still having fun even when you guys are freaking out and calling names. I'm not even offended and I don't care how right you libbies think you are. I still disagree with you, as does the majority of the whole country.
Actually the majority don't. Remember the popular vote? lol....oh man
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-31-2017, 7:30 PM Reply   
Quote:

the math on this guy lol
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-31-2017, 8:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
the math on this guy lol
Hey don't forget: Didn't Trump say there were 4-5 million illegal votes. Lol
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-31-2017, 9:02 PM Reply   
This is a fantasy, never going to happen
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-31-2017, 9:02 PM Reply   
I thought that about a trump presidency too to to be fair.....
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-01-2017, 8:39 AM Reply   
Can we not have a decent debate without it going to name calling and fighting.

The water issue has been brought up.
Again being from a "fly over state" I am not to up on all of the flow / politics on the lakes and rivers there. But it sure seems to be a hot topic and seems that southern Cali could be put in a tight spot and forced to do desalinization if northern Cali was a separate state or if the surrounding states were now a different country and damned off the water to them.

I touched on the electric grid a bit, but right now California is already getting power from Mexico. So even if the surrounding states put a huge tax on the incoming power. Maybe Mexico would build some large fossil fuel facilities and provide for Cali. Seeing as they don't have CARB or the EPA to deal with, they can build plants quickly and much cheaper then in the U.S or in Cali.

Do you think they would stay with the Federal Reserve or go to their own currency?

Would their currency be backed by a commodity (Gold, Silver Etc.)?

Lets talk about the true issues of it happened not the bickering.
Old    deltahoosier            02-01-2017, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Actually the majority don't. Remember the popular vote? lol....oh man
Popular vote was due to California. Don't care about that number. Many Republicans votes are suppressed because A) Their votes don't count B) The election is usually over by the time they spend 1.5 hours driving home.
Old    deltahoosier            02-01-2017, 10:27 AM Reply   
I would completely vote for California to leave and I live here. I would troll that to death.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-12-2017, 8:52 AM Reply   
Asserting your independence by simultaneously asking for millions. LOL!! Shouldn't CA be asking the president of Mexico for assistance instead. Who is the hypocritical asshat now...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/1...ent-3150494640