Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-09-2016, 2:48 PM Reply   
Saw this on facebook today - much better price than the mission:

https://www.wakesurfedge.com/
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-09-2016, 2:57 PM Reply   
If they don't get sued then they will make a killing. That's the perfect price point for this device.
Old     (JR_88)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-10-2016, 5:09 AM Reply   
Considering you can build one yourself for $40 bucks that's still outrageous. I built mine following the Moomba forum with a suction cup handle, shelf brackets and a cutting board for about that much and an hours worth of time. It's certainly a difference maker, but not one worth spending hundreds of dollars on when you can DIY.
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-10-2016, 5:24 AM Reply   
that is different enough that it'll be hard to sue - much better than velcroe
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-10-2016, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Considering you can build one yourself for $40 bucks that's still outrageous.
I have DIY'd two now and $40-$50 is about right for what it costs .... but I think your average Joe is certainly willing at $200 vs $600

Heck, if this would have come out first I would have been apt to buy it vs. trying to make one.
Old     (frozenorth)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-10-2016, 9:30 AM Reply   
it looks like it's well built. The thing about doing it yourself is that well, it looks like you did it yourself. 200 bucks? done. That's one fill.
Old     (jibsta210)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-10-2016, 12:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_88 View Post
Considering you can build one yourself for $40 bucks that's still outrageous. I built mine following the Moomba forum with a suction cup handle, shelf brackets and a cutting board for about that much and an hours worth of time. It's certainly a difference maker, but not one worth spending hundreds of dollars on when you can DIY.

Factor your time, if you spend 1 hour shopping and 2 hour building @ 50 an hour your allready at 150 bucks...
might aswell have a warrantable professional looking product.

Price point is right.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-10-2016, 5:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibsta210 View Post
Factor your time, if you spend 1 hour shopping and 2 hour building @ 50 an hour your allready at 150 bucks...
might aswell have a warrantable professional looking product.

Price point is right.
This. And now that I've been through 5 or so versions and have one that works I must have put in 10-15 hours and easily $100 in materials.

But if I lost mine tomorrow, I would probably buy this rather than going through the hassle.
Old     (Rugger)      Join Date: May 2016       08-15-2016, 7:00 AM Reply   
We're seeing several options now of side-hull surf gate style attachments. It's amazing how simple the designs are, yet we missed it for so many years! Here's the latest list of options I've seen: http://www.wakegarage.com/resources

I think the fact that the attachment being just forward of the transom dodges the surf gate patents, but I'm not sure.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-15-2016, 7:42 AM Reply   
Then you may run into lawsuits from the patents from Ronix or Mission.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-15-2016, 9:11 AM Reply   
don't buy the swell... i had a customer bring one in today and its not a good design. look close at how the suction lever does not flip all the way down. it stops at a 45 degree angle on the mount and comes off easily.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-17-2016, 10:33 AM Reply   
The price is RIGHT, Bob!!

different from boat manufacturers patents because its not part of the boat. not sure what the Ronix patent says, but this is significantly different in many ways. If the Ronix patent is broad enough to cover this, I don't think it would stand up.

whats the swell?

Last edited by denverd1; 08-17-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-17-2016, 10:51 AM Reply   
found the swell. yea it looks quite clunky, I can see how the cup wouldn't hold suction with the thickness material there.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-18-2016, 9:42 AM Reply   
While we are looking at alternatives, I just picked up one of these: http://suckgatewakesurf.com/
I know I can make one for less but I don't have the time and I was not about to pay $500 for some of the alternatives. I just received it a couple days ago. It is very professional looking in both design and fit and finish. It took a little over a week to get here via UPS even though it was shipped immediately. I've not tried it yet since it just arrived. I'm looking forward to trying it this weekend.
Old     (sporte77)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-18-2016, 1:40 PM Reply   
I started out making my own ghetto gate for each side using HDPE at the tune of about $100 each in materials. The angles were complicated & the result was heavy and bulky. So, now that the suck gates are all the rage, I cannibalized the goofy side ghetto gate's HDPE plastic - bought an $8 Harbor Freight suction cup handle. haven't tried it yet.
For comparison, the ghetto gate weighed 12 lbs & used 2x the HDPE. It also only fit one side. It took me about 5 hours to fabricate including measuring angles & cutting & screwing together.
The suck gate only weighs 4 lbs & used less than half the HDPE. I figured I had $40-50 into it & only took me under 2 hours to build. The photo of the wave was of the ghetto gate on a '12 Malibu VLX with both 750 bags in the rear lockers, 750 in the walkway & full factory ballast with wedge full down (flat/horizontal). 10.8mph.I know the suck gate will spray more. But the word from people using them is that they are as effective as the ghetto gate. My guess is that we were so hung up on finding the perfect imitation of the angles of surf gate in our DIY builds - that the suck gate is showing us that we don't have to worry about it (if we are willing to deal with a little spray).

Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-18-2016, 7:48 PM Reply   
The big thing I see missing from most of these suction handle based designs is any mention of rust prevention. As has been shown in several different discussion threads the hardware in those handles will begin to rust from the first time they go in the water. Having built and sold a few myself I think $200 is a fair enough price point, but not if it's going to rapidly deteriorate and potentially get rust stains on your upholstery. I can tell you it's time consuming and tedious to modify for rust prevention though, so I see why they wouldn't want to do it.

The wakesurf Edge says it's stainless, if that includes the springs and all hardware then I'd say it's a deal. Any feedback on how it does on hulls that aren't totally flat? seems like it wouldn't have much leeway due to the lowrider design.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2016, 8:36 PM Reply   
Mint! Just ordered one
Old     (drballenbc)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-19-2016, 7:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagman View Post
The big thing I see missing from most of these suction handle based designs is any mention of rust prevention. As has been shown in several different discussion threads the hardware in those handles will begin to rust from the first time they go in the water. Having built and sold a few myself I think $200 is a fair enough price point, but not if it's going to rapidly deteriorate and potentially get rust stains on your upholstery. I can tell you it's time consuming and tedious to modify for rust prevention though, so I see why they wouldn't want to do it.

The wakesurf Edge says it's stainless, if that includes the springs and all hardware then I'd say it's a deal. Any feedback on how it does on hulls that aren't totally flat? seems like it wouldn't have much leeway due to the lowrider design.
The seastow handles use stainless steel springs. I have been using an aluminum handle one for 2 months now and no rust yet. We drain the water out of the cups every time and sun it on the dock when we get back. . I have a seastow handle ready to go when needed but the aluminum one stays on so well I am reluctant to change over yet. Never had it fall off once so far, hope I'm not cursing myself saying that for riding today though.
At 200 for a well made one with stainless parts, I would probably stop making them myself too, seems reasonable to me.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-19-2016, 2:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by drballenbc View Post
The seastow handles use stainless steel springs. I have been using an aluminum handle one for 2 months now and no rust yet. We drain the water out of the cups every time and sun it on the dock when we get back. . I have a seastow handle ready to go when needed but the aluminum one stays on so well I am reluctant to change over yet. Never had it fall off once so far, hope I'm not cursing myself saying that for riding today though.
At 200 for a well made one with stainless parts, I would probably stop making them myself too, seems reasonable to me.
Yes the Seastow does, but I haven't seen anyone selling a Seastow based design through a website and advertising it. Draining the cups and taking care to keep it dry will help for sure, but rust is inevitable on them eventually, especially since I'm sure many won't take that kind of care with them. Cutting drains in the side with a Dremel helps a bunch, BTW.

I've been selling my design locally for $150, but if I were to take the trouble to make a website, advertise, ship them, and potentially deal with patent claims I'd be at $200 for sure. And I have to think most people complaining about the $200 price point would be as well if they were trying to sell them.
Old     (sporte77)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-22-2016, 10:05 AM Reply   
I agree - I think $200 is fair. (or $150 if you choose). I figured 2 hours of my time & $30-$50 materials is worth that. I built mine - but only because I had my old ghetto gate laying around. I used the new suck gate version & it's just as good as my ghetto gate - and 8 pounds lighter!!!

Great design.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-22-2016, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagman View Post

I saw a couple drips of rust from my Harbor Freight handle after the first couple times I used it. And not a drop of rusty water since. I've put a ton of hours on it and haven't had any issues. Dunno. it's a $8 handle and if I actually started having problems with the springs, I could change them out in a couple minutes from a spare handle I have in my garage.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-22-2016, 1:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporte77 View Post
I agree - I think $200 is fair. (or $150 if you choose). I figured 2 hours of my time & $30-$50 materials is worth that. I built mine - but only because I had my old ghetto gate laying around. I used the new suck gate version & it's just as good as my ghetto gate - and 8 pounds lighter!!!

Great design.
Yeah, mine took me an evening of fabrication. I spent $8 on the handle, another couple bucks in SS screws. The HDPE was stuff I had laying around from other projects, so I'm into mine maybe $10 tops.

I started with a smaller blade and then upped my surface area in a "quick and dirty" upgrade right before we left for a camping/boating trip.

version 1 before adding a little more surface area.