Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mikemessler12)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-24-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
My family just purchased a 2014 21ft Boston Whaler MONTAUK. We mostly use the boat for fishing but I enjoy wakeboarding and really want to start using it for Wakeboarding more. The only issue I can think of is the wake that it throws. The hull is relatively flat and im afraid the wake will be mushy and small. Does anyone have any advice on how to make the best possible wake for my situation? I have trim tabs and i figure if i put all the people on board in the back of the boat it will help.

Any advice will be greatly apprciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-24-2014, 10:46 AM Reply   
I'd weight the front and back and try and sink that thing down a little. It'd be decent boat for wakeskating as is
Old     (mikemessler12)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-24-2014, 10:50 AM Reply   
its got a 200hp mercury verado.. my only ocncern is the realtively flat hull.. im wondering where to put the weight? front or back of boat? and will the wake be good enough for inverts,flips,tantrums and big airs?????????
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-24-2014, 10:58 AM Reply   
Bags of sand and concrete are cheap and easier to move around than fat sacs (when full) while you're trying to dial in the wake. I'd try 60% in the back and 40% in the front and play with the trim tabs to see what you can do. I started on a bass boat and was able to get decent air with no added weight..
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-24-2014, 11:00 AM Reply   
Most wake boats have a pretty flat hull so that should not hurt you. Start with the weight around 60/40 rear/front and adjust it from there.you said you have a group of people that go with you and people are the easiest type of ballast to adjust. Most boats the more weight you put in the back the steeper the wake gets and the more in the front the rampier mellow it gets. As to whether or not you can do inverts and mobes with a smaller wake just Google some of Scott byerly video s from the 90's
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-24-2014, 11:01 AM Reply   
I had an i/o with a pretty flat hull and put 300 lbs in the rear and 150 up front and it threw a good enough wake for flips....attempted flips anyway lol
Old     (shorewake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-24-2014, 12:01 PM Reply   
where do you ride? I'm in point pleasant...sorry to jack the thread
Old     (mikemessler12)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-24-2014, 12:05 PM Reply   
i ride in manasquan occasionally, but mostly down in the bay of Long Beach Island.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-24-2014, 12:36 PM Reply   
Playing with the trim will really help with cleaning up the wake and give you a better ramp.