Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-14-2011, 3:59 PM Reply   
Well yesterday was probably my worst day of boating ever! A buddy wanted to take a bunch of kids out to learn how to board so i volunteered my boat and we used his truck to tow it to Orwood. Like an idiot my drain plug gets stored in the door pocket on my truck and being I didn't drive, what did I do I launched with no drain plug! Took me only a few minutes to figure out and pull the boat out of the water. Then I run to the parts store in brentwood to get a plug but being so smart I pulled my center plug out so I could match it up which I did but the center plug is 3/4 inch and the back plug is 1/2 inch. So trip number two to brentwood to get a 1/2 inch plug. We finally get on the water and being ski beach was almost empty we pulled up so the kids could eat there lunch and play in the water. I actually had fun playing with my new NVS speakers and relaxed under the shade of by bimini top thinking the day was finally turning around. We took off and the kids began to try wakeboarding. When one kid managed to stand up and go outside the wake I thought I'm going to show them what real wakeboarding is, at least to the best of my abilities! lol I immediatly hopped up and jumped the wake inside out and cut hard out to the side. I then turned and hit the wake hard and popped probably 6' in the air, probably a personal best for me landing 4 or 5 feet out in the flats as my knee colapsed underneath me. Probably some of the worst pain ever and a loud pop. But being there was 5 kids that hadn't boarded yet I continued pulling the kids tell they all had a ride then drove home with my left foot and went to the hospital. Turns out I have a torn MCL ACL and Miniscus I have to meet an orthopedic surgon on monday! I'll have to post some picks up as soon as I down load them!

Last edited by 2006maliblue; 08-14-2011 at 4:01 PM. Reason: spelling sucks
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-14-2011, 4:26 PM Reply   
Ouch! Sorry to hear man. Good on you for getting the younger ones out on the boards, to bad your luck wasn't on your side that day. Hope for a fast recovery.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-14-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
You are the man! Get hurt and still try and teach kids that is dedication.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-15-2011, 5:30 AM Reply   
That sucks! Last year it was the shoulder now your knee. Sorry to hear about it man at least you taught a few future rippers on your trip.

Tony
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-15-2011, 6:03 AM Reply   
When it rains it pours! Sorry about your bad luck! I've def had to do the left foot driving home before..
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-15-2011, 6:56 AM Reply   
Time to peel that bumper sticker off the truck that reads, "A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work".
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-15-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear this Robert. Good job keeping it together for the kids. At least it's not the beginning of the summer and you got to have some fun.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-15-2011, 8:37 PM Reply   
Karma will come back to you, in a good way. Way to pay it forward! Best of luck with your recovery!
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-20-2011, 10:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the kind words everybody... Been dealing with this crazy health care system and it sucks!

You'd think paying cash, ( I have no health insurance) you'd get treated faster and better because they arn't fighting with insurance companies but they're still dragging there feet.

I meet orthopedic surgon on thursday and maybe then I'll know more and when they'll fix me!

Interesting navigating the health care system with no insurance. My ER bill was $3600 when I told them I was paying it because I didn't have insurance they said if I paid cash it was only $530? Does this mean there overcharging the insurance companies or what? The only funny thing is the doctors want half up front before they see you then they send you a bill for the rest... I gambled without having health insurance for 4 years have to see how this gamble pays off when its all done. If I keep getting discounts like I did at the ER it might just work out!
Old     (king_of_the_wake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-21-2011, 11:12 AM Reply   
i tip my hat to you mad respect

get better soon
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
Oh man... Bummer bro. Sounds like you did an awesome deed for the kids and kept it together when the odds were stacked against.

Good luck with the knee.

And yes.... the hospitals are definitely sticking it to the insurance companies and they repay the favor by sticking it to the customer. The charges for services are absurd. What exactly did $3,600 get you?
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-23-2011, 10:53 PM Reply   
$3600 got a nice long wait in the ER and about ten minutes with the ER doc who put a half cast and a leg immobilizer on my leg and reviewed the x-rays which showed nothing and then referrend me to an othopedic center. Being I paid cash they reduced this to $530 though. I still haven't recieved a bill from the xray department so hopefully there willing to play lets make a deal too!