Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-22-2020, 1:31 PM Reply   
I'm supposed to pick up a 2013 Supra 242 tomorrow.

Any pro's and cons of this model?

How well does it surf, I notice freeboard is relatively low.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-22-2020, 6:03 PM Reply   
It appears after reading as many threads as I can find on different forums that this is NOT a surf boat. Perhaps I should pass.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-23-2020, 1:38 AM Reply   
a 24' boat with 1700 lbs and "launch" in its name? would've fooled me.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-23-2020, 2:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
a 24' boat with 1700 lbs and "launch" in its name? would've fooled me.
Ya, mistake on my part. It's a sunsport. No launch ballast.

If this surf's as good or better than my old 215 I'll be happy.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2020, 8:38 AM Reply   
Put a Nauticurl on the side a switch out the bags for bigger ones and have fun. I have a 2006 24V Sunport. It's the small hull as the lunch but with smaller bags. Now I have 1100's in the back and another 1100 in the center plus some lead. And with a Nauticurl it throws a killer wake.

I know there different hull but it's all in the Nauticurl.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-23-2020, 4:57 PM Reply   
Some good news, the boat already has an acme 1235 on it. So a nauticurl and the wakemakers bags and we should be in business.
The boat is pretty clean, but not to my standards. So I have some days ahead of polishing, and deep detail cleaning.

We are going to take it out tomorrow and familiarize ourselves with it and clean.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-24-2020, 8:24 AM Reply   
Good deal
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       07-27-2020, 4:00 AM Reply   
I had a 2009 24' Launch which is very similar. We had a great surf wake. We had the factory 1200 bag up front and I upgraded the rears to the wakemakers bags (I think they were 1000 pounds each). I put the wake plate all the way up, speed was 11.4, front ballast 100% full, surf side 100% full, and opposed side 50% full. Wake shaper on the non surf side about a foot from the back of the boat. This produced a nice big / long firm wake.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-27-2020, 5:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
I had a 2009 24' Launch which is very similar. We had a great surf wake. We had the factory 1200 bag up front and I upgraded the rears to the wakemakers bags (I think they were 1000 pounds each). I put the wake plate all the way up, speed was 11.4, front ballast 100% full, surf side 100% full, and opposed side 50% full. Wake shaper on the non surf side about a foot from the back of the boat. This produced a nice big / long firm wake.
Great news!

I'm ordering the factory upgrade wakemakers bags they reccomend. 1280lb per side but they are out of stock.
I ordered a nauticurl also.
I'm not sure what size the center bag is in the 242 sunsetter, I was mistaken like I said earlier it is NOT the launch series. There is no bow ballast. Should I order one? I was under the impression no bow weight for surfing.
I'm also looking to add 500lb or so from leadwake but I dont really want to put that extra weight on my trailer towing. Usually we have a 20min or so pull to the lake, but up to 1.5hrs to another lake we frequent also.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-27-2020, 8:24 AM Reply   
all about your tires. when the time is right, put E rated higher capacity tires on the trailer. keep the correct air pressure in them and you can haul lead all over the country.

500 lbs of lead is just 125 per tire. definitely doable.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-27-2020, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
all about your tires. when the time is right, put E rated higher capacity tires on the trailer. keep the correct air pressure in them and you can haul lead all over the country.

500 lbs of lead is just 125 per tire. definitely doable.
No extra stress on the bearings?
Tires are 255/45r18.
They have a load capacity of 1929 per tire. So I have 7716 max. Boat is 4600 dry + 68gal of fuel fuel, misc gear and supplies. Plus whatever lead I put, and weight of trailer. So I dont think we have much breathing room.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       07-27-2020, 3:28 PM Reply   
You absolutely need front weight for surfing. Without bow weight, your wake will be very short and the bow of the boat will be too high to see. The 24' launch also loves bow weight. It makes the weight much better. I believe the standard Launch bow bag is 1200 pounds. Also, don't order from Leadwake. I ordered from them in the beginning of July and half my order has yet to arrive. Two of my 50 pound bags got lost by the USPS and Leadwake completely stopped responding to me. The customer service seems to be completely lacking.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-28-2020, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
You absolutely need front weight for surfing. Without bow weight, your wake will be very short and the bow of the boat will be too high to see. The 24' launch also loves bow weight. It makes the weight much better. I believe the standard Launch bow bag is 1200 pounds. Also, don't order from Leadwake. I ordered from them in the beginning of July and half my order has yet to arrive. Two of my 50 pound bags got lost by the USPS and Leadwake completely stopped responding to me. The customer service seems to be completely lacking.
Wakelife has what appears to be a similar product and comes to $486 OTD for (10) 50lb bags