Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (gmoniey)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-06-2018, 12:10 AM Reply   
Hi,

I've been lurking around these forums for a few months now trying to do my best to learn about wakeboats in general, and was hoping this group could help me out with a few questions.

Background

Firstly, some context...we're first time boat owners. Sure, I've driven a boat a handful of times, but that's the extent of my boating knowledge..never launched a boat, or dealt with an engine failure on the water, etc...all very nerve racking We're a family of 5 (plus a dog) with three young boys (6, 4 & 2). I initially was considering more bowrider style boats (Cobalt, Sea Ray, etc) but the more I learned about wake boats, the more they have appealed to me. I like the fact that we have the option to properly wakeboard and surf (especially as my kids get older) and the v-drive has a safety factor that really resonates with me since the prop is set back pretty far.

And now onto the questions:

Front Facing Passenger Seat

The reality is that we'll use the boat for cruising a fair amount...at least 50%, so it's important to have a front facing passenger seat. In reading the forums, this seems to be counter to most enthusiast's preference, but I'm really hesitant to purchase a boat that doesn't have an option for the co-pilot to face forward.

In my research thus far, it seems like the Mastercraft X-35 and Nautique 210 & 230 (with the flippable lean back seat) have these options. Well, the X-55 also does, but it's far too big for us.

Are there other models that have this functionality/feature that I should consider?

Choppy Water?

We'll be using this boat in Lake Tahoe, which from what I understand can get quite choppy. I'd love to get a boat that can handle rougher conditions. Doesn't need to be a beast in choppy water, but I also don't want to get concerned if the conditions turn get rough.

My understanding is to go with a deeper hull, but I'm not sure if that's accurate, or the only thing we should consider. I believe the X-35 has a deep hull, but unsure about the nautiques.

Towing?

We have an Audi Q7, and I'd prefer not to purchase a new vehicle just to tow our boat. We'd only do longer tows twice a year as we have a dock to use during the summer...but those will be long 4-5 hour drives. Sadly I didn't get the TDI or air suspension and my understanding is that the car is rated to tow ~6100lbs.

Should I just be looking at dry weight when considering the weight of the boat? Especially for these long drives where I could potentially tow them without gas.

Used Prices

These seem to be all over the place...and I can't figure out exactly how best to gauge whether a used boat is well priced. We'd prefer to go used and honestly haven't narrowed in on a budget yet. It started small, around $40k and has slowly creeped up as I've seen all these awesome features (and considered other things such as the fact that most surf systems came out in 2012).

I understand that the engine and options can influence the price of a boat, but are there other factors?
Are there particular best times to buy? Or best sources? I've mostly used onlyinboards.com, boats.com, and boattrader.com.

Ok..I have lots more questions, but I think this is enough for now