Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-21-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
Hi,

I found out that 3 blades prop are cheaper than 4 blades, and apparently 3 blades are even more efficient. Don't know if that this is true, but i'm looking at this option.

That being said, i want a second propeller that i will use as a main or spare prop on my supreme v220 with 1.46 geared tranny.

The current prop that came from factory is an acme 537: 13.5X16 L 1.1-18.

What would be a close equivalent to it? I would look also to a slightly lower pitch increase holeshot.

Thanks for the help!
Old    SamIngram            05-21-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
From ACME's website...

Quote:
Q: Which propeller should I choose, the Acme 3-blade or the Acme 4-blade?
A: Theoretically, a 3-blade propeller should always be more efficient than a 4-blade. However, in the past, two big issues have prevented the 3-blade from taking the lead in popularity. The first was a lack of manufacturing precision, which commonly caused 3-blades to vibrate more than 4-blades. When significant dimensional variation exists in a propeller, vibration is generally more noticeable in a propeller with fewer blades. The second reason for the 3-blade disfavor was an almost certain loss of blade area in the transition from four blades to three. Consequently, even though top-end gains were achieved, performance expectations on the low-end were diminished.

Through the implementation of precision manufacturing and design improvements, Acme Propellers are giving the 3-blade the reputation it deserves. Acme is consistently holding tolerances never before achieved in propeller production. This accuracy makes the Acme 3-blade incredibly smooth. In addition, the blade area of the Acme 3-blade has been expanded to equal that of the Acme 4-blade. The translation? The Acme 3-blade has raised the performance bar. From an awesome hole-shot to an unmatched top end, and all the smoothness throughout, the Acme 3-blade leaves nothing to be desired. We believe it has an edge that everyone will appreciate. On the other hand, please do not mistake our excitement as a lack of appreciation for the Acme 4-blade, a proven winner.

It should be noted that this choice might still be mildly influenced by application, because it is possible that the most perceptive users might be able to detect slight differences that cause them to prefer one prop over the other. Even still, the overall performance of either Acme Propeller is paramount, and is that from which dreams are made.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-21-2010, 9:23 PM Reply   
Yes i've read that. That's why i'm looking at the 3 blade option.

Now i just need to know what will work like my current acme 537 prop. Don't want to loose holeshot or over rev my engine...
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-22-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
Contact Acme. They are great and will give you a few options based on what your after.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-22-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
Don't want to call just to get information from them, since I not sure I will get an acme in the first place. So I'll make this simple:

Does a pitch on a 4 blade prop equals a pitch on a 3 blade prop?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-22-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
Doubtful, although prop calculators don't seem to take into effect blade count.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-22-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
maybe you should just call them, Im sure they would be willing to help if you bought from them or not....