Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-02-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
Haven't seen any footy come out with Nick in what seems like forever. Just curious if anybody new what was up? Dude just chillin across the pond and not putting anything out? Maybe hurt?
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-02-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
was wondering the exact same thing a couple days ago. Nobody has heard anything about him it seems like
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-02-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
Didn't her hurt his knee? I don't think it was a ligament.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-02-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
Last I heard he's been getting his knee right back in the UK. He was offering lessons at a local park while he was getting healed up.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-02-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
I heard he fecked his knee after a fall using those system bindings cos they didn't release
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-02-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
I was wondering the same thing the other day. Dont even start the argument about the system bindings ^^ lol
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-02-2011, 7:24 PM Reply   
Sorry for the ignorance but what are the system bindings? You guys talking about the hyperlites that are similar to sniwbard style?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-02-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
Jonny,
You're correct. Hyperlite's SYSTEM bindings are the snowboard style binding and boot combo.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-03-2011, 5:43 AM Reply   
Nick has been out with a knee injury for time... Search the forum... this has been a topic before...He had surgery a few months ago so we should be seeing him soon
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-03-2011, 5:27 PM Reply   
Double tantrum behind the boat + system bindings + Nick Davies = no knee
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-03-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwake1 View Post
Double tantrum behind the boat + system bindings + Nick Davies = no knee
What does the bindings have to do with it?
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-04-2011, 6:12 AM Reply   
absolutely no chance of the bindings releasing from your feet, essentially putting all the pressure on the bones and ligaments in your legs.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-04-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
"absolutely no chance" is a bit of a stretch considering i got ejected from my systems last night on the water. not to mention, I occasionally put my boots on while they are already strapped into the bindings.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
Any change that the injury could have occurred with ANY binding?
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-04-2011, 1:23 PM Reply   
yea J-rod it has happened since the beginning of the sport and will continue to do so. You are correct knee injuries happen in any binding or even when wakeskating.

Curt- Most people don't get into the bindings after the are strapped in though because then they wouldnt be tight enough. You wouldn't tighten traditional bindings all the way then try to get in would you?
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-04-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
I would say it's more likely an injury was caused due to trying a double tantrum off a double up than a binding. Haha u guys are ridiculous. I don't know any bindings that release from a hard impact.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-05-2011, 5:08 AM Reply   
i ride ronix 0nes and i have taken a few diggers and have came out... You are correct it doesnt happen often, but it does on occasion. IF the system is ratcheted tight, there is no f-ing way youre foot is coming out.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-05-2011, 5:09 AM Reply   
I can't even count how many times my snowboard bindings have released on crashes....because its never happend.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-05-2011, 7:21 AM Reply   
I wanna see this double tantrum......

Although I'm not a fan of the System bindings, I think a knee injury would likely result from a double tantrum crash no matter what bindings you were wearing. Heck knee injuries can happen even if you do eject from your board...say if one foot comes out and your board twists. To pin this injury on what kind of bindings he was using seems a bit "out there" to me. Wakeboardings a high risk sport, injuries happen. That being said, heal up Nick so we can start seein footage again!
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-05-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   
I normally tighten my boot and binding once i get my feet inside. I thought that was pretty much the standard procedure..
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       05-10-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
Double tantrum = Temper Tantrum; which was landed by Parks back in the 90's right after Shapiro landed his speed ball (double front). You should be able to find footage of it.
As for bindings releasing - I had a similar problem back in the the late 90's trying the exact trick along with my Raleys back then. Instead of system bindings, I had a pair of Liquid Force "Pro" suctions that had zippers, straps, buckles and everything else incorporated into them. Needless to say no release on impacts = super wrecked ankles and knees. I would guess why you dont see this binding in their line-up - or me trying a temper T anymore.

This isn't Hyperlites first rodeo either. I would think Hyperlite had put this issue on the discussion table during the 2+ yrs of RD before debuting the system. They would have been placing themselves at huge risk having all there big riders sporting the system this year on their setup.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       05-10-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
Curt rides for Hyperlite's regional team and he rips. I am fairly confident he knows how the systems work.

Bummer about more knee injuries. My first time around the cable Nick Davies was in front of me and Fooshee was the next carrier behind me. Pretty easy way to feel like I had NO idea what I was doing but was definitely fun to watch.
Old     (DEFIANTwake)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-31-2011, 4:08 PM Reply   
Thought you guys might want the latest.
But please, just leave the whole binding thing alone...

[URL="http://www.alliancewake.com/uk/nick-davies-the-road-to-recovery/"]

http://www.alliancewake.com/uk/nick-...d-to-recovery/

Last edited by DEFIANTwake; 05-31-2011 at 4:10 PM. Reason: Can't get the link to embed
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-31-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
that temper tantrum was still sick, despite the acl tear lol
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-01-2011, 6:02 AM Reply   
That was a cool video! Glad to see Nick's on his way to recovery well. And I agree, that double tantrum was pretty epic either way!!!