Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-01-2018, 6:50 AM Reply   
A few years ago I was riding about 50% park and 50% boat so I got a Slingshot Recoil which was a pretty good compromise at the time. These days I ride 100% boat and am looking for a new board. I’d like to be able to lock in on edge more than the Recoil will let me but I do like how soft it lands compared to other boards I’ve ridden. I’d also like the board to ride a little faster but I really like 3 stage boards and realize some of that speed is just inherent in how a 3 stage is built. Do you guys have any suggestions? I’m very open here.

Right now I’m looking at the Remedy, the One, and the Parks camber boards (or maybe the Space Blanket). The Remedy and One look like aggressive 3 stage boards, which I like. The camber boards seem to have mixed reviews here. I hear fans say the camber boards have a lot of pop but I don’t see anything about how it pops compared to a 3 stage or continuous board. What attracts me most to the camber boards is reviews on how soft it lands. I like that but I’m not sure how much I’m willing to give up for softer landings.

Am I on the right track? Are there other boards I should shave a look at? Thanks in advance.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-01-2018, 7:16 AM Reply   
Take the camber boards off the list--especially as an older rider. Even people I know that liked them for a while are happy to switch back to regular rocker lines.

The older I get the bigger and faster my boards get (Im 37). I would put a few continuous boards on the list and consider sizing up. Wakes are a lot bigger than they used to be so massive line tension isn't as important as it used to be. A faster board will improve your consistency, they land a little easier on the body and they aren't as much work in general to ride. Put the 2018 Happy Hour on the list, The new Parks board looks fun and if you have the dough--consider the RXT it is a suped-up Happy Hour.

I rode the Ronix William for 4-5 seasons and switched to the Happy Hour this year and it was a smooth transition.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       10-01-2018, 9:22 AM Reply   
34 here. I'm digging my HL Murray. Jumped up in size from a 139 Code 22 to the 145 Murray.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-01-2018, 10:56 AM Reply   
35 year old here. Love the Humanoid Cameo. Fast, good pop, forgiving and everything you could want. The Humanoid Oracle was a great board with amazing landing but it is a little slower than the cameo. I made the switch from aggresive 3 stage boards to continuous and haven't looked back.
Old     (Walter)      Join Date: Apr 2012       10-01-2018, 3:36 PM Reply   
Circus, Murray, Cameo, Happy Hour
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-01-2018, 7:57 PM Reply   
Is Humanoid strictly a direct seller? I went online to look at their Circus and Cameo and liked what I saw but they’re sold out of both.

Last edited by hal2814; 10-01-2018 at 8:02 PM. Reason: Not Oracle, Cameo
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       10-01-2018, 8:37 PM Reply   
If you want a softer landing board which is fast, try a continuous rocker board. I'm in my mid 40's and tried a continuous rocker board for the first time a year ago and found it was not for me. I found I did not like the amount of weight I had to put on my front foot to get good pop and it was not locked in enough for me. BTW, I tried a Hyperlite Kruz (still sitting in my garage after using it only a few times). I found out I preferred a 3 stage rocker which are inherently slower and more locked in. For me, I can get loads of pop with very little effort using a 3 stage. It took way too much effort for me to get good pop with the continuous rocker. That said, I've been riding 3 stage boards for 20 years so perhaps it is simply what I'm accustomed to riding. I ended up going with a Ronix Darkside after trying a few boards.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-02-2018, 5:25 AM Reply   
@skiboarder, what's your thought on why the camber boards are NG? I have a blue metallic Parks (think that's a '16?), and feel the pop and landings are good. While not fast, it's not slow either, and doesn't feel hard to edge.
It's not super "poppy" like a HL Harley, but I feel it's much more consistent for me than that board.
I alternate riding the Parks camber with an old Company Recruit that is fun for mellow pop and super cush landings.

There's another post which is from 2017 asking about larger boards, or soft landings where @ShaunMurray himself posted about some of his ideas regarding board features that work for him. It's one of the best posts I've seen regarding shape/rocker/bottom features and how they affect the edge, pop and landing characteristics of a board.

Curious to hear more on people's experience with the camber boards.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-12-2018, 8:25 PM Reply   
I think I’m going to try the Murray 150. I’m looking for a leftover 2017 or 2018 model before I pony up for a 2019 one but I’m not seeing a whole lot of extra stock anywheee this year. I really liked what I saw at Humanoid and was ready to buy but they’re out of stock on the Cameo and I can’t get in touch with them to even ask about the stock situation. All I saw was a chat function on the website so I submitted my question there and haven’t heard back in over a week. There’s no way I’m buying anything from them. If they’re this reluctant to take my money, how slow are they going to be to respond if I have a warranty issue?
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-14-2018, 3:51 AM Reply   
Nomad 160 or Ronix Funboard? I was debating those two but I just got shipped to Germany for 3 years so had to sell the boat. That made the Nomad my choice with all the cable parks out here. I think a few people ride and live the Nomad behind the boat.
Old     (Walter)      Join Date: Apr 2012       10-15-2018, 2:53 PM Reply   
I have a 2018 Murray 150 still in the plastic shrink wrap if you really want one, 300$ plus whatever shipping cost, unless you live close to west texas then we can maybe figure out something
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-18-2018, 12:07 AM Reply   
Ur post title fits me to a T! 😜. For some reason this year I decided I want to start wakeboarding some more (switched primarily to surf the last 4 years), decided to get a new board and I can tell you I am absolutely lovin it. I got the murray 150. (Last board was a 143 3DS) so it was a decent jump in size but for my skill level it’s been nothing but phenomenal.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       10-18-2018, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
If you want a softer landing board which is fast, try a continuous rocker board. I'm in my mid 40's and tried a continuous rocker board for the first time a year ago and found it was not for me. I found I did not like the amount of weight I had to put on my front foot to get good pop and it was not locked in enough for me. BTW, I tried a Hyperlite Kruz (still sitting in my garage after using it only a few times). I found out I preferred a 3 stage rocker which are inherently slower and more locked in. For me, I can get loads of pop with very little effort using a 3 stage. It took way too much effort for me to get good pop with the continuous rocker. That said, I've been riding 3 stage boards for 20 years so perhaps it is simply what I'm accustomed to riding. I ended up going with a Ronix Darkside after trying a few boards.
I have ridden continuous boards but tend to be a little back foot heavy and was considering trying a 3 stage board. I see the darkside is a softer flex vs the One. Any thoughts?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2018, 6:56 AM Reply   
Me on the Murray 150 yesterday - I am 6'3, 300 Lbs and 49 years old. This has been my favorite board in many years. Have not broken one yet and I used to go through 4-10 boards a year.
Attached Images

Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       10-23-2018, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Me on the Murray 150 yesterday - I am 6'3, 300 Lbs and 49 years old. This has been my favorite board in many years. Have not broken one yet and I used to go through 4-10 boards a year.

Wicked!!!
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       11-01-2018, 1:34 PM Reply   
Ordered my Murray 145 with Team-X boots!!!
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       11-01-2018, 4:04 PM Reply   
I think you'll love it

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-03-2018, 9:57 AM Reply   
I'm 48 still do inverts been riding the Harley, now Remedy for 5 plus seasons and I like it has speed, pop, and consistency..landings arent bad but not soft..

I hated the Space blanket, you have to relearn to ride and the feel is awkward..
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-10-2018, 5:44 AM Reply   
Just a quick update. I did pull the trigger on a 2018 Murray 150. One of the online vendors who was out of stock suddenly had a 150 on Black Friday. I never will understand how that works with previous year models and stock suddenly showing up. I almost got a Remedy, too, since there were some really good deals out there this year but figured one board was enough for now. It’s been too cold to ride it just yet but I have a dry suit so next time it warms up a little I’ll give it a spin and report back. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions!