Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-05-2015, 11:21 AM Reply   
I've always wanted to be around watersports and work the boating industry for 10+ years. How hard is it to get a dealership up and running/get product etc?
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-05-2015, 11:24 AM Reply   
Hmm... if you have a LOT of cash - easy. If not... well... ;-)
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-05-2015, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCent View Post
Hmm... if you have a LOT of cash - easy. If not... well... ;-)

I have capital. Just wondering how hard to get manuf. onboard
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-05-2015, 11:39 AM Reply   
Most will probably want to see proof of a viable facility/showroom, a credit line (how much is dependent on each company probably) and a sound business plan with competent employees. If you want to get a manufacturer on onboard, the first step is to contact the company you want and they will probably send a rep out to talk to you. What happens after that is dependent on you having your ducks in a row, and them having a need in your area.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-05-2015, 2:53 PM Reply   
how about consider a used-only or consignment shop?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-05-2015, 3:26 PM Reply   
And name it Texas auto liquidators?
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-05-2015, 3:46 PM Reply   
^^^good one.

I have often wondered the same thing. We have a CC dealer in our area and he sells quite a few boats and if you drove by it looks like a wrecking yard for old boat. The building is run down and the weeds are literally knee high. It's terrible and I wonder how CC let's them get away with it. The other dealer that carries BU,SC and Centurion that is 60 miles away has the worst customer service known to man. All good dealers are 2 1/2-3 hrs away, which is why I buy in Dallas or Houston area.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-05-2015, 4:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
^^^good one.

I have often wondered the same thing. We have a CC dealer in our area and he sells quite a few boats and if you drove by it looks like a wrecking yard for old boat. The building is run down and the weeds are literally knee high. It's terrible and I wonder how CC let's them get away with it. The other dealer that carries BU,SC and Centurion that is 60 miles away has the worst customer service known to man. All good dealers are 2 1/2-3 hrs away, which is why I buy in Dallas or Houston area.

No way I would EVER let my business get that run down. I'm OCD. Customer service should be the #1 priority. I wouldn't mind having Malibu/axis and possibly supra. There is a town about an hour away that is growing rapidly. Has a Baja dealer that sells smaller boats with towers. Does very well. Would pick up an aluminum fishing boat and pontoons as well. Would have to start with only a couple wakeboats for inventory and see how well they do. I follow the watersports industry VERY closely and feel I would be able to give people a proper demo instead of having them come out and then say "I don't think the guy who took us on the boat knew how to set it up properly."
Old     (Treybiz)      Join Date: Nov 2014       07-05-2015, 4:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
^^^good one.

Where are you in texas?
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-05-2015, 4:47 PM Reply   
Right off I20 between Tyler and Longview.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2015, 1:36 AM Reply   
You know how you make a small fortune in boat sales right? Start with a large fortune.
Old     (Bit)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-06-2015, 4:11 AM Reply   
"if you drove by it looks like a wrecking yard for old boat. The building is run down and the weeds are literally knee high. It's terrible and I wonder how CC let's them get away with it. "

Well... more importand is: How is the service quality. Bling bling buildings don't give automatic you a good service.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-06-2015, 5:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
You know how you make a small fortune in boat sales right? Start with a large fortune.

Yep
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-06-2015, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
"if you drove by it looks like a wrecking yard for old boat. The building is run down and the weeds are literally knee high. It's terrible and I wonder how CC let's them get away with it. "

Well... more importand is: How is the service quality. Bling bling buildings don't give automatic you a good service.
Mediocre at best.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       07-06-2015, 6:58 AM Reply   
Prepare to have most of your investment tied up in Boats, Payroll, and Rent until you retire.

Remember- Your are Buying yourself a Job/Lifestyle.
Old     (SCfan)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-06-2015, 10:05 AM Reply   
Absolutely correct, it's buying a job. You will most likely not get rich from it. Be ready to work long hours in season. Best advice would be not to do it unless you can buy the property. Lenders and manufacturers like to see a long term investment and stability. Not to mention building equity is probably the only way to gain any real wealth from this industry.
Old     (JJwake)      Join Date: May 2014       07-06-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
Long hours and even longer, sleepless nights. I personally wouldn't open a sole dealership, no real reward. I would, however, entertain the idea of buying out a group of existing dealerships. That way, I could make my $500k on a good year, and be able to pump money into the business on bad years. Like stated before, you probably need 10 times the capital you think you need in order to become a successful dealership. Also, you need years of sales experience in order to keep your margins high enough to keep the doors open. A monkey can sell a boat based on price, a salesman can sell a boat based on need fulfillment.

Otherwise, not very hard to open a dealership. It is hard to stay open. Boat salesmen are usually more desperate than car salesmen, so call up some manufacture reps, and they'll be at your front door within the end of the week with your floor plan ready.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-07-2015, 11:21 AM Reply   
I dont think you can make it selling new boats you have to cover costs with your service department.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-07-2015, 3:09 PM Reply   
^ not true margins on boats are pretty high

Just need a good market to get the boats sold
Old     (SCfan)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-07-2015, 5:15 PM Reply   
I am friends with many dealership owners and have had the service conversation many times. Most dealerships service departments do little more than pay the service peoples salaries.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-08-2015, 2:26 PM Reply   
^^^Not true at all having been an accountant at one. At over $100 an hour labor rate and many techs making $20 and hour or less, if all you are doing is covering the service people's salaries you are doing something greatly wrong!!
Old     (SCfan)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-08-2015, 5:53 PM Reply   
Unless you are in South Florida it is seasonal. You make a killing several months of the year and loose the rest. Then you take into account all of the customers who think everything should be free because they bought a 100k boat, employee's mistakes, manufacturers that do not do what they should and the dealer gets stuck, new boat preps, trade in repairs, etc.. There are dealers who make money on service but the vast majority do not. That is fact. I am very friendly with over 10 larger dealers across the country and of all of them only one makes a profit worth speaking of in service. The service department is just something the dealer has as a courtesy to the customer. I don't know of any dealer who wouldn't love to do away with service. They always complain service is where all the problems occur.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-09-2015, 8:14 AM Reply   
Okay, a little shift in subject. How about becoming a small manufacturer? Would the other brands swallow you up? I really don't understand why someone hasn't bought the molds for the 2003-2012 xstar and made a stripped down boat. 35k all day!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-09-2015, 9:02 AM Reply   
is the 2003-2011 XStar molds avail, I dont think so and if they were they'd be made over sea's and could not be offered in this country
besides it'll cost you every bit of 35K if not more, closer to 50K just to float a knock-off XStar
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-09-2015, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
is the 2003-2011 XStar molds avail, I dont think so and if they were they'd be made over sea's and could not be offered in this country
besides it'll cost you every bit of 35K if not more, closer to 50K just to float a knock-off XStar

Think so? I don't see it being that much. I'd bet a brand new LSV doesn't cost any more than 60-70k if that to make once R&D making of molds etc are done. The rest is markup.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-09-2015, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
Think so? I don't see it being that much. I'd bet a brand new LSV doesn't cost any more than 60-70k if that to make once R&D making of molds etc are done. The rest is markup.
Dealer cost is probably around 80k at the most.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-09-2015, 1:05 PM Reply   
There is not a chance in hell that mastercraft is going to sell you that mold, and if they did, it would be MUCH more expensive than you think.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 07-09-2015 at 1:09 PM.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-09-2015, 1:35 PM Reply   
Anything is for sale haha yeah I was just wondering
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-09-2015, 2:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
I don't think your idea would ever work because this is the wrong hull to do it with. EVERYONE now is buying boats based on surfing whether you like it or not and the Gen2 Star was a pretty sub par surf boat. Our CC/Bu with a nice pro shop sells 10 surfboards to 1 wakeboard.

The right direction for sales or a new brand is a budget Surf boat.