Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (leetke)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-05-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
Sooo, I wanted to start wakeboarding at 32...why the he!! not. Did some research, bought a board, and read a lot on this forum about how to ride. SWEET, I can ride...can't wait to get better!!!

Upload
Upload
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-05-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
Advice: get that handle lower, and lose the skier grip (and the ski gloves). Thumbs to thumbs, you wont like that skier grip when you start progressing.
just my .02, other than that looks good, and keep at it.
Old     (leetke)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-05-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Thanks Jimmy...funny you say that. The gloves are b/c I play tennis which keeps my hands raw and I'm a big boy to pull out of the water. Not being able to get up at first KILLED my hands. Since I can get up every time now I can lose the gloves. The skier grip was b/c I was running REALLY low on juice...was the end of the day (did read a quote from here "lose the baseball grip slugger". Thought that was funny.

As far as the handle lower...should I keep it closer to my hip??? Also, what are some fairly easy tricks to start with (besides learning to ride from either foot forward)? I think this is going to be addicting for me.
Old     (leetke)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-05-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
Oh, but one other question...what is the problem with the gloves? Just not enough feel or something???
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-05-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
Good job Lee! I started boarding when I was 40, but I've been skiing since 8 y.o.

How fast is the boat going in your pics, looks a bit slow. Try bumping the speed up to at least 20, your board won't "plow" the water as much and it's easier on the hands too.

Yep, lose the gloves. :-)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-05-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
Keep the handle on your lead hip. Start by slowing down to around 18mph and moving the handle from lead hip to rear hip (surface 180) while being sure you keep the lead edge of your board from going under the water. Once your comfortable with that start going 360 and boardsliding the lip of the wake.

Congrats!
Old    kidrik            07-05-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
Congrats Lee.........! I started at 37, and a knee surgery.....! You're never too old baby!

Keep at it, and you'll progress quickly.

OH.........and lose the gloves!

I wish I started younger......but not a damn thing we can do about that now.......but ride!

Good luck!
Old     (leetke)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-05-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
Dave...yeah, it's my boat so the driver is getting used to it..think we were anywhere between 16-23mph. I grew up behind a boat so I'm getting them used to it. Just happy to find some other people around here interested in it...no fun by yourself.

Paul...thanks for the tips. As soon as I got up I wanted to do something...I don't mind assin' out as long as I'm having fun. I'll give it a shot Sat...sure it will be interesting :-)
Old     (leetke)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-05-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
OK, what's up with the gloves? Is it just "not cool" to wear them? I need to know these things!!!
Old     (wakeboardmatt)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2007, 8:05 PM Reply   
lol no one tell him

Just loose the gloves
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-05-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
Well, a lot of people say it isn't cool to wear them. I used to wear them until i started learning spins and i took them off then because it could feel the handle passes better without them.

Good luck on the progression!
Old     (wakeboardmatt)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
you blew it pottsy
Old     (leetke)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2007, 5:02 AM Reply   
Ha ha, the gloves are GONE!!! I really don't want to be "that guy"!!! Anything else I should know to keep me from being a dork???
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-06-2007, 5:17 AM Reply   
When you get up, very soon thereafter pull down your shorts if they rode up on you. Nothing ruins a picture like nasty 'white as the snow' semi-hairy legs.

IMO, as you start to try tricks, you'll want some protection for the fellas. I wear compression shorts under my boardshorts, or you could buy the awesome but $$$ boardshorts that have the neoprene liner in them already.

Keep at it...I started at 27 and it has become an addiction.
Old     (leetke)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2007, 5:56 AM Reply   
Thanks Loren...def don't want to kill the "nuggets"!!!
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-06-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
Your giving away my best kept secret Loren
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
Don't wear sunglasses when you ride. Yes, I actually saw this once.
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
ride switch just as much as you ride regular!