Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-08-2013, 1:57 PM Reply   
I bought this board without demoing it first. Coming off an older Byerly Monarch. Not sure if I'm just not ridding it wrong but with the huge flat bottom I was expecting "explosive pop" (sales guy term) I didn't feel it. pretty much a straight line through the wake. In any case, demo before you buy. Secondly, is possible that I just need to adjust my ridding, or when you buy a board do you expect it to feel better than your old one on the first ride out?
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-08-2013, 2:46 PM Reply   
Definitely a different ride than most boards out there. I have a 2011 Ibex so I'm guessing similar shape. Not sure your riding style but this board really likes takin it slow on a big meaty wake. Parks designs his boards now for wake 2 wake riding so if ur charging it u may have to easy your cut up a little to get the right pop. I usually use a slow "Ollie edge" for everything now and get booted on this board.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-08-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandrus View Post
I bought this board without demoing it first. Coming off an older Byerly Monarch. Not sure if I'm just not ridding it wrong but with the huge flat bottom I was expecting "explosive pop" (sales guy term) I didn't feel it. pretty much a straight line through the wake. In any case, demo before you buy. Secondly, is possible that I just need to adjust my ridding, or when you buy a board do you expect it to feel better than your old one on the first ride out?
My experience has been it always takes me some time to adjust to new boards, but I grow to like whatever I have. Give it at least a couple more sets and keep an open mind. You probably will love the board when you have time to figure it out.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-08-2013, 3:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A View Post
Definitely a different ride than most boards out there. I have a 2011 Ibex so I'm guessing similar shape. Not sure your riding style but this board really likes takin it slow on a big meaty wake. Parks designs his boards now for wake 2 wake riding so if ur charging it u may have to easy your cut up a little to get the right pop. I usually use a slow "Ollie edge" for everything now and get booted on this board.
Not really.. Parks' boards have been mellowed out A LOT since the Ibex, it just suits his riding style (if that still exists) more as he gets older. If you bought it expecting something like an Ibex you've been mistaken and misled. Not to say that the board doesn't have good vertical pop, but at the same time if you're charging the wake and not doing your own exploding off the wake then yeah you're going to plow right through. Keep riding it, it always does take some time to adjust to the way a different board pops and releases off the wake.