Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-27-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 Supra 21. I am having problems with the engine firing. Every time I try to start it, it starts to turnover, but does not fire. I changed the fuel filter, but that did not seem to help. It almost seems like the fuel pump isn't working, but I am not sure. Could the fuel pump have gone out, or is there a fuse or relay for it that may need to be replaced or reset? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-27-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
I dont have many ideas man, but how are your plugs?

Give Neil a call (his old boat right?) he took great care of it and knows those boats well.
Old     (fyrdawg29)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-27-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
I have an 05 BU VLX. It has a tether on a kill switch that sometimes rattles loose. does your boat have this and if it does you might check it.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-27-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I checked the kill switch, but it was secured.

Thanks Mike, I am going to check the spark plugs tomorrow, but I just have this bad feeling that the fuel pump is not working. I changed the fuel filter and tried to start it again, then checked the fuel line again and there was no fuel in the line...

I called Neil too, and he had some good suggestions, but none of them seemed to fix it..

If it helps the boat first would only shut off when I applied the throttle, but would run at idle. I tried to give it some throttle and then it shut off, so I started it again, it ran, then I gave put it into gear and it shut off. After that it would not even fire...

(Message edited by Wiscxstar on May 27, 2006)

(Message edited by Wiscxstar on May 27, 2006)
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-27-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
lots of supra problems lately, what is going on
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-28-2006, 3:55 AM Reply   
You should be able to hear the fuel pump build pressure when you turn the key on before you start.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-28-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
Yep, George is right there, and Im far from a mechanic but bad plugs or even a bad filter or bad gas could cause all this too I think, especially when you describe it dying when you give it throttle.

And if it is the fuel pump, at least thats all it is you know?
Old     (md5150)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-28-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding popularity growth = more wakeboarding boats on the water = more boat problems.

It's not just a Supra thing. It's a boat thing.

Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-28-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
George is right, the best way to rule out a fuel pump problem is to listen for the pump to cycle on when you turn the ignition on. If you don't hear it cycle, it isn't working. The fuel pump on my 2004 SSV went out after about a year. If it isn't cycling on you can tap on it with a pair of pliers or a big screwdriver and it may start working. You could have bad gas too.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-30-2006, 5:30 AM Reply   
Russell-Dude, I was super bummed to hear you're having what appears to be a fuel delivery issue.

On Sunday morning it was rough on my lake so I decided to do some looking around my boat in hopes of finding what could be wrong with yours. Being that you had recently filled up on the water, I am still leaning towards bad gas.

I can't remember how it's set up on the 325, by my 340 has a remote fuel pump. It's located right below the remote oil filter on the starboard side of the engine. When you turn your key you will hear a few things, one being your PP auto tighten and the other is your fuel pump kick on. If you're not hearing your fuel pump it's either and electrical issue to the pump or a faulty pump. It's very easy to access your entitre fuel system, by unscrewing the floor panels, and removing the v-drive cover. You can inspect for any hose damage.

Before doing any of that, I would UNPLUG the perfect pass module and try and run the boat again. I doubt it's anything major, but trouble shooting the easy stuff is time consuming. I'm just bummed this happened on a holiday weekend. Let me know if I can help you out any.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-30-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help! I did get it running Sunday afternoon! It definitely made my weekend much better!

I am guessing it was the fuel filter and then maybe it was vapor locked or something to that effect. I changed the fuel filter Saturday, but that initially did not help. However, the next morning, I opened the gas cap for a few minutes and the I turned the key on to make sure the fuel pump was running (like George had suggested). I could hear the fuel pump running, so I put my hand on the part of the hose near the fuel pump and I could feel the fuel pumping into the pump, so I figured it would probably start. I then took it down to the lake and it started fine.

Also does anyone know how to reset the perfect pass?

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-30-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
I can't remember off hand but there are instructions in your perfect pass manual that you probably have in your packet when you got your boat. I had to do it once too, but can't remember exactly.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-30-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Nicolet, EVERYTIME I fill up on the water I get bad gas, I bet this was your source. Check the filter for water.....glad you got her running.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-30-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
I did fill up on the water, but I did so after the boat would not start, I thought I would rule out no gas, because I had filled up the day before before I launched, and thought maybe my fuel gauge was incorrect(I probably should have just unscrewed the floor board and looked, but the boat was full of people, so I just had my buddy tow me the short distance to the gas pump). However, that turned out not be the problem. Yeah, I almost never fill up on the water-- bad gas, and it's so expensive.

Diggs- I looked through the manual before posting, but could not find the instructions on how to "reset", but I just called PP and they emailed me the "reset" instructions.

(Message edited by Wiscxstar on May 30, 2006)