Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-02-2015, 8:48 PM Reply   
Ok, we have our new Supra SC 450 (2014, but new) out, and have put 3 hours on it so far. The break in period is 1st hour no greater than 2000 RPM, 2nd hour no greater than 3000 RPM, and for the next 5 hours no greater than 4000 RPM.

Obviously that is fairly straight forward, however, it also says during the break in period you should avoid carrying or pulling a heavy load.

My question/concern: Should we not use ballast until we are over 7 hours of use? We have the plumbed in ballast fo 2900 lbs, but have not filled it at all yet.

Picture of the new setup:
Attached Images

Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-03-2015, 5:20 AM Reply   
yes, do it without ballast - on the other hand, its not a big deal because its the same engine that was used for lighter and heavier boats ;-) - for me... after 5 hours i would start to fill up the ballast tanks - 50% - take a closer look about the engine temp...

btw. nice color.
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-04-2015, 5:37 AM Reply   
My break in manual on the crusader 6.0L says to run @ 2800-3000rpms for 1/2 hour and then WOT and then back to 2800-3000 & idle several times during the 1st 5 hours. Why such a drastically different break-in procedure?
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       05-04-2015, 5:39 AM Reply   
Different engine block & different engine manufacturer = different break-in procedure

To the OP: If you want to make sure you're prolonging the life of your engine, then I would wait to run ballast until those 7 hours are up. We drove around this weekend and put 5 hours on our boat so it's not very long. Otherwise, a heavy load on a brand new engine could hurt it (not likely) but still why risk it?

Last edited by Rusty; 05-04-2015 at 5:42 AM.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-04-2015, 7:23 AM Reply   
I'm not sure, but I would not run it with any more load than needed during that time.

I don't see why 3500 rpm @ 20 MPH because of XYZ weight is any different than 3500 rpm @ 25 mph because there is no ballast is any different.... but it can't hurt not to stress things (mainly the V-drive getting that weight up to speed).

..... Also, boat is beautiful!
Old     (Tims)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-04-2015, 7:34 AM Reply   
I would load up the ballast and enjoy. The break in procedure from Indmar is silly to me. When Supra tests out that boat, they run it WOT and fill the ballast to make sure everything works so the cherry has been popped so to speak.

But whatever make you feel good.

Oh, and nice looking boat. Your are going to love the SC.

Last edited by Tims; 05-04-2015 at 7:36 AM.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-04-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
^ My fear would be the ECM tracks things, and IFFFFFF something goes wrong, can they see that you didn't follow the rules and void your warranty?
Old     (Tims)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-04-2015, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
^ My fear would be the ECM tracks things, and IFFFFFF something goes wrong, can they see that you didn't follow the rules and void your warranty?

The factory takes the boats out and runs them up to red line (recorded in ECM) so technically your warranty is already voided.

That's what is so silly about all of this. Do people actually drive their boats around at half plane for 2 hours?
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2015, 8:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. After much thought, we decided just to play it safe, with the rationale of what is 7 hours when we will most likely put hundreds of hours on this expensive toy. We are close to 5 hours already, so one more trip to the lake and we should be money. It is just hard to wait when you know that you are just a few flicks of the switch from a huge wake.

I love the color scheme too, I am just hoping it won't be too hot on those sunny summer days. Apparently, the new material does not get as scorching hot as the old stuff, but we will see. Couple more pics:
Attached Images

Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       05-05-2015, 9:19 AM Reply   
Gorgeous